Leasing Questions

Cletus_Vandam

Can anyone out there answer these couple of questions regarding leasing a townhouse in MD [Annapolis / Glen Burnie area]?

My wife and I looked at a unit this past weekend. The write up that we found on line stated "$500 non-refundable pet deposit".

While we didn't necessarily agree with the non-refundable part, we set an appointment up with the leasing agent. While speaking to her, she indicated that included in the lease was the requirement that the tenant must have the carpets professionally cleaned on exiting. Not a big surprise, but I asked what the purpose of the pet deposit was. She stated it was to address and any damages that might be caused during our stay. I fully see the purpose of the deposit, just not the non-refundable part.

FIRST QUESTION: Is it typical for a LL to require the pet deposit to be non-refundable? How typical is this?

Moving forward a couple of days, we received the lease for review. Later that day the leasing agent called to tell us that the LL had agreed to letting us rent, but indicated that he was requiring the pet deposit to be "PER PET". We have two [house broken / inside] dogs and a cockatiel. He was requiring a $1,500 non-refundable pet deposit.:cds:

SEOND QUESTION: Is this typical and should we expect it elsewhere?

I personally believe the LL was trying to take extreme advantage of us; we told the leasing agent that we wanted our earnest deposit monies back.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Everywhere I looked had a non refundable pet deposit...most also had pet rent..and some even had an additional pet deposit that WAS refundable on top of it all. Hence...I have no dog.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Can anyone out there answer these couple of questions regarding leasing a townhouse in MD [Annapolis / Glen Burnie area]?

My wife and I looked at a unit this past weekend. The write up that we found on line stated "$500 non-refundable pet deposit".

While we didn't necessarily agree with the non-refundable part, we set an appointment up with the leasing agent. While speaking to her, she indicated that included in the lease was the requirement that the tenant must have the carpets professionally cleaned on exiting. Not a big surprise, but I asked what the purpose of the pet deposit was. She stated it was to address and any damages that might be caused during our stay. I fully see the purpose of the deposit, just not the non-refundable part.

FIRST QUESTION: Is it typical for a LL to require the pet deposit to be non-refundable? How typical is this?

Moving forward a couple of days, we received the lease for review. Later that day the leasing agent called to tell us that the LL had agreed to letting us rent, but indicated that he was requiring the pet deposit to be "PER PET". We have two [house broken / inside] dogs and a cockatiel. He was requiring a $1,500 non-refundable pet deposit.:cds:

I personally believe the LL was trying to take extreme advantage of us; we told the leasing agent that we wanted our earnest deposit monies back.

If it's a deal breaker, tell them it's a deal breaker and move on. Try and find some other place. Tell 'em you'll accept the $500 but no more.

Non refundable is bull####. Especially in this economy.

Cletus_Vandam

If it's a deal breaker, tell them it's a deal breaker and move on. Try and find some other place. Tell 'em you'll accept the $500 but no more.

Non refundable is bull####. Especially in this economy.

That's what we did.

And the real pisser about this is the unit has been empty since the end of July. Wouldn't you think that losing another month's rent would be a concern?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's what we did.

And the real pisser about this is the unit has been empty since the end of July. Wouldn't you think that losing another month's rent would be a concern?

You let 'em think about it. In fact, tell her to call her when she's willing to accept a $500 REFUNDABLE pet deposit.

I don't know what rent you'd be paying but, I'm guessing it's more than $500.

DallasRed

I was told by my agent..That you pay a pet deposit..But it is refundable if there is no damage...It is the law! Don't fall for that scam. Good luck!