Coat Color Studies Aid Health Research, Breeding C

CountryLady

luvmyponies
:coffee:

Coat Color Studies Aid Health Research, Breeding Choices

"The topic of coat color and coat patterns is of great interest to horse breeders. Color can substantially increase a horse's marketability. All else being equal, a buyer is often willing to pay more for a horse with an attractive color pattern. This has led to a wide variety of colors and patterns in many breeds and an increase in the number of breeders interested in including coat color in their breeding programs."

The Horse | Coat Color Studies Aid Health Research, Breeding Choices

Last edited:

Duckz

Unfortunately this leads to a lot of indiscriminate breeding *just* for color. People who don't know better will pay more for the pretty colored horse, reinforcing poor breeding practices :coffee: See FHOTD blog.

fredsaid2

For the most part I think this is only interesting to color breeders. I do have favorites but would not choose color over conformation, athletic ability and manners.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
For the most part I think this is only interesting to color breeders. I do have favorites but would not choose color over conformation, athletic ability and manners.

Manners are very important, but I have seen a lot of well mannered mares and stallions produce an unruly foal.

Unfortunately this leads to a lot of indiscriminate breeding *just* for color. People who don't know better will pay more for the pretty colored horse, reinforcing poor breeding practices :coffee: See FHOTD blog.

Color should not be the sole objective of a breeding program. There are breeds that are considered by some “color breeds” for instance, Appaloosa, Buckskin, Champagne Horse, Cleveland Bay, Dominant Gray, Friesians, Norwegian Fjord Horses, Paint, Palomino, & Pinto. While some of these actually are color breeds (i.e. registered solely due to color), others are breeds with distinct physical characteristics and/or pedigrees that also usually have distinctive or colorful coats. They might be considered a color breed by some folks but technically they are a pedigree-based breed. Some think that the Rocky Mountain Horse is a color breed. It is a pedigree-based breed that put conformation, temperament and gait first. The RMH also have some of the most impressive color that I have ever seen. That is just a BONUS!

Breeders should/can breed horses responsibly (taking note of conformation) while still incorporating colors and patterns (following breed standards) into their herds to maintain or increase value of the horse. Understanding, color DNA is also very important when choosing to breed and should not go ignored by breeders.

The article states: “Production of horses with attractive coat color patterns is part of horse breeding culture and is prevalent within the industry. While breeding for color alone can sometimes be problematic (i.e.ASD, OLWS), many problems can be avoided by a combination of breeder education and continued research. “

We know this to be true especially with horses registered in the AQHA. Years ago, breeders didn’t understand the cream gene and its affect on the chestnut/sorrel, bay and black horse. Their understanding was so lacking that double dilutes weren’t even allowed to be registered until earlier this decade. What a shame. I wonder how many horses with otherwise good conformation, were put down because of their color. It just goes to show that staying ignorant in this area is not a good thing. People need to be educated about color as well as conformation, don’t you think?

A lot of folks on this forum are so quick to slam anyone that talks about color. Maybe people should consider the implications of ignoring “COLOR” when breeding. I think it is like going off half cocked. When some of us on the forum mention color, or spots, there is an implicit understanding, that you should ALWAYS consider CONFORMATION, and BREED STANDARDS. After all we are talking, presumably to other horse peeps, with knowledge in the area (or are at least having the basic skills to research it). EVERYONE with interest in breeding should be as informed and educated as possible, by doing the research in their breed and choosing the best possible breeding prospects for their situation. Adding a little color on top of that can only potentially increase the value of the offspring. With today’s economy pretty horses (good conformation) with pretty color typically sell far faster and for more money than their equally trained and equally pretty counterparts (of basic color).

In closing, the article states: “Additional knowledge about the genetic basis of equine coat color will enable better diagnostic and predictive tests for color and associated traits. The more that is learned about the horse genome, the more breeders can be assured that a particular mating will not produce an undesirable result. With an eye for quality stock and the implementation of rational and responsible genetic testing, there is no reason that a breeding operation cannot introduce new colors and patterns into a herd while maintaining diversity and herd health.”

Robin

HYPP isn't a color issue, but a muscular issue.....Breeding issue none the less.
So I guess I forgot that one.

GOOD POINT you make

or shall I say

IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!!!!

:killingme:killingme:killingme:killingme

:whistle:

Its a breeding and gene issue

the bump if you read it was taken over by a color breeder

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Its a breeding and gene issue

the bump if you read it was taken over by a color breeder

:confused:

Well then there are far more breeding and gene issues that still haven't been mentioned.

I was talking about the ones that came about and related to color!

But of course when breeding everything that would affect your breeding stock and potential foal should be taken into consideration!!

While it is off topic here are a few more:

So along with:
Hyperkalemic periodic paralysis (HYPP)

Which typically affects those QH’s in the “Impressive” line.

there are:
Cerebellar Abiotrophy (CA)

Glycogen branching enzyme deficiency (GBED)

Hereditary equine regional dermal asthenia (HERDA)

Junctional epidermolysis bullosa (JEB)

Neonatal Isoerythrolysis (NI)

I am sure there are many more. Some are breed specific some are not.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
This is a cool color!

horse x zebra

:killingme

Attachments

• 79-zebra_pferd_037.jpg
    79-zebra_pferd_037.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 141