Stihl BG86 Leaf blower review

Pete

Repete
OK, so over the last 6 years I have gone through 2 Craftsman Leaf Blowers. The first one lasted 3 years and just blew up one day. It wasn't bad. the second one I got was a pain in my ass since day 1. It vibrated like crazy to the point your hands hurt, the kill switch quit working (I fixed it finally, pinched wire broke) it was hard to start and you had to let it warm up for 15 minutes before it would run wide open. I cleaned the carb, tried everything it just ran crappy.

Well finally the pull cord bound up and came off the spool so I took it apart again for the 10th time, and I can't get the spool off because it requires a special spanner wrench so it sits in a giant pile on my bench.

So today I was down at Carroll's getting tractor stuff and noticed the Stihl display. Knowing I was going to need the leaf blower and the Craftsman is on my bench in pieces and I was likely going to say screw it and buy a new one I decided to just bite the bullet. I couldn't decide if I wanted to get another Craftsman or pay $70 more for a Stihl. I mean it blows air, whats the big deal?

Let me tell you it was WORTH it.

1. It is light, WAY lighter than the behemoth Craftsman.

2. It is so smooth! Virtually no vibration at all. It was AMAZING.

3. It is quiet. The Craftsman was deafening, this thing is 1/4 the sound level.

4.The controls rock, the Craftsman had a paddle for a throttle and you had to hold it open, not this one.

5. The Craftsman had a decal that said 205MPH for the air velocity, the Stihl says 190MPH. If the craftsman was 205MPH my name isn't Pete. The Stihl blows it away. I tried it out when I got home and it was even blowing heavy wet leaves.

I am done with sears and Craftsman. My 10 year old string trimmer is on its last legs. when it goes I am getting a Stihl.

smilin

BOXER NATION
OK, so over the last 6 years I have gone through 2 Craftsman Leaf Blowers. The first one lasted 3 years and just blew up one day. It wasn't bad. the second one I got was a pain in my ass since day 1. It vibrated like crazy to the point your hands hurt, the kill switch quit working (I fixed it finally, pinched wire broke) it was hard to start and you had to let it warm up for 15 minutes before it would run wide open. I cleaned the carb, tried everything it just ran crappy.

Well finally the pull cord bound up and came off the spool so I took it apart again for the 10th time, and I can't get the spool off because it requires a special spanner wrench so it sits in a giant pile on my bench.

So today I was down at Carroll's getting tractor stuff and noticed the Stihl display. Knowing I was going to need the leaf blower and the Craftsman is on my bench in pieces and I was likely going to say screw it and buy a new one I decided to just bite the bullet. I couldn't decide if I wanted to get another Craftsman or pay $70 more for a Stihl. I mean it blows air, whats the big deal?

4.The controls rock, the Craftsman had a paddle for a throttle and you had to hold it open, not this one.

5. The Craftsman had a decal that said 205MPH for the air velocity, the Stihl says 190MPH. If the craftsman was 205MPH my name isn't Pete. The Stihl blows it away. I tried it out when I got home and it was even blowing heavy wet leaves.

I am done with sears and Craftsman. My 10 year old string trimmer is on its last legs. when it goes I am getting a Stihl.

Amen.
I did the same thing with two chain saws before getting a Stihl. Amazing power, starting and longevity.
Good choice.
:buddies:

Pete

Repete
Amen.
I did the same thing with two chain saws before getting a Stihl. Amazing power, starting and longevity.
Good choice.
:buddies:

I had a cheapo Poulan I cut a ton of wood with. Last year I finally got a Stihl chainsaw. It is a BEAST!

Pete

Repete
:yay:

I still have a Craftsman lawn tractor.

I do too. It has served me well but recently it had had a problem. I haven't had time to tear it down. It will start and run for a few minutes, then start sputtering and shut down. I need to clean the carb. Then I might sell it. Since I have the John Deere and the 54 inch mower I can do my whole place in 30 minutes :lol:

belvak

Happy Camper
:yay:
Stihl good.
I have a chain saw, trimmer, and back-pack blower.

All are awe-some.

Hubby has those plus a regular hand blower here at home. He also has access to one of the power pole saw and hedge trimmers through his work. Though it's not a Stihl, his most recent addition to his toy collection is the log splitter he got late last fall. Boy toys are expensive! :faint:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Hubby has those plus a regular hand blower here at home. He also has access to one of the power pole saw and hedge trimmers through his work. Though it's not a Stihl, his most recent addition to his toy collection is the log splitter he got late last fall. Boy toys are expensive! :faint:

Go bake some cookies.

belvak

Happy Camper
:lmao: Actually, the plan was to make a Pineapple Upside Down Cake and a Banana Rum Cake this weekend anyway!! Might even do some more baking. Cold and rainy days make me want to cook or bake.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch

Not sure what model mine is and I have had it a few years. Best I've ever used. Mine has the start on re-coil( pull the rope easy and after you release it the motor spins) best invention yet. Anybody can start it.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand

That STIHL display is going to be my demise..

I can't help stopping and looking.. one of those string trimmers have my name on it.. the one with the BIGGEST motor.. yeah that one.

But BG has these silly rules.. NO buying something if we already have one that works..

DAMN YOU WEEDWHACKER!!

Last edited:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
DAMN YOU WEEDWHACKER!!

1) Add some water to the fuel
2) Try starting
3) When it fails to fire angrily toss it across the driveway BUT make sure it lands on the asphalt so it can break into several smaller pieces. *just make sure Bubba isn't around when tossing the trimmer.*
4) Curse angrily and storm off to Carroll's but remember they close @ 12 on Saturdays.:wink:

L

lugebob

Who needs a Stihl when you have a hand held jet engine? 600mph exhaust velocity :)