Lerners To Provisional License

tantara

Now that you all helped me decide what driving school to take my son, my question is should he enroll now or wait until it gets closer to his 9 month mark to when he can take the actual driving test:yikes::yikes: to actually take the class. in the mean while or after the class would be my turn to teach him what i know. (hopefully he won't pick up any of my bad habits)

thanks

Now that you all helped me decide what driving school to take my son, my question is should he enroll now or wait until it gets closer to his 9 month mark to when he can take the actual driving test:yikes::yikes: to actually take the class. in the mean while or after the class would be my turn to teach him what i know. (hopefully he won't pick up any of my bad habits)

thanks

Which school did you decide on? And I would think your first step would be to check with that school to find out when the next available enrollment is... if there is a waiting list that may dictate when he'll take the class.

And you do realize you have to pay approx $2500 to insure him once you switch him from learner's to provisional, don'tchu?

Why so much money? I guess rates have quadrupled over the years! :faint:
I've been told by several that is the going rate to insure a teen these days... I'm milking my son's learners for as long as I can put it off...:lol: He drives the beltway, in the rain, at night and many other conditions like a pro, but I haven't taken him for his provisionals yet.

dave1959

My 17yo daughter just went from her learners to provisional (sp) and the insurance was less than $80 to the end of the policy, ( aug to end of nov)
6 month renewall only went up about $200.
We are on geico, She is listed as an occasional driver of a 1992 camry (liability only) and a part-time student.
I was also very surprised and asked two different geico manager to confirm it.
when we got the bill they were right.

lmwelch

My 17yo daughter just went from her learners to provisional (sp) and the insurance was less than $80 to the end of the policy, ( aug to end of nov)
6 month renewall only went up about $200.
We are on geico, She is listed as an occasional driver of a 1992 camry (liability only) and a part-time student.
I was also very surprised and asked two different geico manager to confirm it.
when we got the bill they were right.

Key word ... "daughter". Rates are much higher for teenage boys. I don't know if $2500 is accurate (sounds high to me) but it is pretty expensive to insure a boy. About 2 1/2 years ago, we bought a 1997 Civic a few months before my son could get his license and got it insured so we could drive it. When he got his license we added him to our policy. We kept the exact same coverage on the car and the premium TRIPLED! And that was with the "good student" discount!

glhs837

Power with Control
Folks, please, if you have a teen driver, seriously consider a course like these, what they get in regular classes is how to pass the test, not how to survive the madness that is everyday driving. The below sorts of classes teach driving, not roadway navigation and rules of the road. When it all goes to hell, knowing what these things teach can make the difference.

DRIVE2SURVIVE

Also, out at Summit point, BSR teaches a similar course, but I suspect that they get more realistic speeds, having a whole track to lay with.

BSR Inc.

Click Recreation and Safety, then Accident Avoidance

Real Driver's Education

I know some parents would thing that teaching young folks the limits of a car is a bad thing, might tempt them into bad behavior. Me, I want mine to know as much as they can.

Vince

Teach your kids not to tailgate, no cell phone while driving, and watch out for the other guy. They'll survive.

glhs837

Power with Control
Maybe they will, but why not give them the tools to not crash, or if they must, mitigate the crash.....the odds are stacked against them.
From the NHTSA

NHTSA: Saving Teenage Lives

Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for young people 15 to 20 years of age, causing roughly one-third of all fatalities in this age group. In 1996, 6,319 young people age 15-20 died in motor vehicle crashes. Even though this age group makes up only seven percent of the driving population, they are involved in 14 percent of all traffic fatalities

It goes on to mention that they are "On the basis of miles driven, teenagers are involved in three times as many fatal crashes as are all drivers."

Hell, I speak of this in regards to teens, but honestly believe this sort of training should be mandatory, even on a recurring basis. Far too many crashes are preventable, and those that are not could be minimized were folks to just know how to keep driving, not just "lock'em up and ride'it in".

punchbuggy

My son bought an old car 1996 4 door and pays $960 a year or $80 a month. This is through our policy with USAA. He's a new driver with liability on his vehicle. If he messes up and doesn't follow our curfew and rules, then he buys his own policy and is on his own. So far, so good. MVA gives you a book with suggestions on curfews and timeframes. We've been following this with no problem. If you're going to let your son or daughter drive a newer sports car then I'm sure they'll end up paying $2500 a year. My son bought what he could afford. He's looking forward to upgrading his car in the years to come - when HE can afford it. Good luck!

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
(hopefully he won't pick up any of my bad habits)
I have to assume he has been riding with you countless times over the years, so he must have absorbed many of your habits.

watch out for the other guy.
Still helpful to have knowledge of evasive maneuvers, because getting plowed into is no more fun if you see it coming than not. Young drivers also don't understand how adverse weather conditions can affect handling; so they could be driving fine for normal roads, but rain or snow could rapidly change the situation, and a slide or skid is not something one ever wants to be surprised with.