Wind Energy in MD

How would you rate MD's potential for wind energy?

• Poor

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Marginal

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Fair

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Good

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Excellent

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Outstanding

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Superb

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
Not sure, but it looks like most of MD's available energy comes from the bay itself. Numerous towers would have to be established up and down the bay, and you'd have everyone from PETA to the shipping captains protest. If something like this were actually implemented, it think it would be off the coast in open water, but that raises the cost of transmission lines.

Plans were being made to extend high power lines from the eastern shore to MD, but we wouldn't get much benefit from the plan.
http://forums.somd.com/environment-green-living-alternative-energy/191038-mapp-first-i-ve-heard.html

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm curious what people make of this map, so I'm starting a poll. How would you describe MD's potential for using wind energy?
http://www.windpoweringamerica.gov/images/windmaps/md_50m_800.jpg

See? This is just like man made global warming; it should not be subject to opinion IF science is supposed to be our guide.

Maryland, as a practical matter, sucks for wind energy and that is a function of the winds, the capabilities of wind machines and a function of energy storage.

It COULD get better. We just probably ought not to 'wish' it to be better.

:buddies:

bcp

In My Opinion
I did the research when I was considering putting up a wind generator in my yard to power my house.

I discovered that the unit could not possible pay for itself based on the average wind days (over 4mph constant) in this area to operate.

I assume that that condition would exist over much of the state.

Maybe Garrett county, or maybe along the coast, but not so much in the area that the majority of the population is located.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I did the research when I was considering putting up a wind generator in my yard to power my house.

I discovered that the unit could not possible pay for itself based on the average wind days (over 4mph constant) in this area to operate.

I assume that that condition would exist over much of the state.

Maybe Garrett county, or maybe along the coast, but not so much in the area that the majority of the population is located.

:yeahthat:

did the same.. even looking at a mast to clear the trees..

ylexot

Super Genius
Wow...someone actually said "superb"? Must be a moron trying to screw with the results. If you take the bay/Atlantic areas into consideration, I can understand "fair", but you have to be massively stupid to look at that map and think Maryland is "good" or better for wind. Once you remove the bay and ocean, MD is easily in the "poor" category...and that is looking at wind 50m up! That takes a HUGE tower.

Oh, and good luck with putting anything in the bay or the ocean. It'll take at least a decade to get anything in place and will cost many millions of dollars...just for the environmental impact studies. The windmills will wear out and need to be replaced before wind energy will even break even.

Bottom line...wind is a losing proposition for MD.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Wow...someone actually said "superb"? Must be a moron trying to screw with the results.
Bottom line...wind is a losing proposition for MD.

Agreed

:cheers:

I answered the poll question before reading the map and still answered correctly.

bcp

In My Opinion
Agreed

:cheers:

I answered the poll question before reading the map and still answered correctly.
I only knew because I looked into it.
before my limited research, I was guessing that it would be at least "good"