Captain's Table

bulldog

Well, this was a disappointing experience. Wife and I have eaten at the Captain's Table many times over the last several years and always had very good food there. The service has been so-so, but the food has always been very good.
Went there tonight and ordered "the usual", Orange Roughy Parmesan for my wife and I had the Seafood Alfredo. Each of us also had the cream of crab soup for a starter. The soup was Awesome...as always, but the roughy was not up to par with what we are used to and when my Alfredo came out it only had shrimp in it (supposed to be shrimp, scallops and crab meat). I asked about the scallops and crab and the server said "yeah, that's not the right dish" and took it back to the kitchen. Ten minutes later she brought the same plate back out and told me that they would bring out some scallops to put in it, but that they are out of crab. Sure enough, they brought me a small dish of cut up scallops to add to my plate. No way was I accepting that. Wife was done eating so I told the server to remove the Alfredo from the check and send the manager over. I could see them in the other room talking, shaking their heads. Finally the manager came over and just stood at the table so I asked her if she knew of the problem and her reply was, "I just came on shift, but they told me what happened". She tried to play off the whole problem as being out of crab, but when I asked her about why the scallops did not come out the first time she said the server had mistakenly ordered me shrimp alfredo instead of seafood. We paid and left, but on the way out I checked the menu and they don't even have shrimp alfredo on the menu.
Won't be back, so now we are in search of a new seafood joint to enjoy.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
If I'd had many good times at a place, I wouldn't let one bad time stop me from going back. That's just plain silly.

B

Bronwyn

It's been a long time since I've eaten there, but I would reccomend it to anyone. The food was great.

bulldog

If I'd had many good times at a place, I wouldn't let one bad time stop me from going back. That's just plain silly.

Silly to expect the appropriate items to be in the dish I ordered? Silly to have that plate taken away, presumably to be corrected, but only have it come back 10 minutes later...exactly the same...and be told that they will be bringing me scallops to mix it it myself? Silly to expect that if they were out of crab that they would have told us that to begin with? Silly to expect that the manager would have had the guts to admit that things were wrong and simply apologize for it rather than to blame the mistake on the waitress and then lie about her ordering a dish for me that does not exist on their menu?
Although I did not mention it before, it was probably also silly of me to expect that the server would have washed her hands after coming off her smoke break rather coming to our table smelling like an ashtray.

Yep, I'm a silly, silly man.

Something has changed because we have always had good experiences there before.
Good luck with your future visits. We won't be back.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Silly to expect the appropriate items to be in the dish I ordered? Silly to have that plate taken away, presumably to be corrected, but only have it come back 10 minutes later...exactly the same...and be told that they will be bringing me scallops to mix it it myself? Silly to expect that if they were out of crab that they would have told us that to begin with? Silly to expect that the manager would have had the guts to admit that things were wrong and simply apologize for it rather than to blame the mistake on the waitress and then lie about her ordering a dish for me that does not exist on their menu?
Although I did not mention it before, it was probably also silly of me to expect that the server would have washed her hands after coming off her smoke break rather coming to our table smelling like an ashtray.

No it isn't silly of you to expect those things but I have news for ya, if you expect perfect service with no mistakes every time you go out to eat, you won't be going out to eat very long.

Sounds like they had the B crew working. You said you've always been happy with the place but they make one mistake and you nail em to the cross. That is just plain silly.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
No it isn't silly of you to expect those things but I have news for ya, if you expect perfect service with no mistakes every time you go out to eat, you won't be going out to eat very long.

Sounds like they had the B crew working. You said you've always been happy with the place but they make one mistake and you nail em to the cross. That is just plain silly.

I think most get what you're saying. Why stop patronizing the place after 1 bad dish if you've had so many other good meals there.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

And I agree with you. You can't expect 100% perfection every single time you go to a restaurant.

workaholic

Save the Tatas!!!
We have gone there a few times. Mostly we take the boat there in the summer time for Breakfast. It is one of the only places you can go by boat for breakfast. When we go for lunch or dinner the food is good, not great. The biggest problem that I have with the place is that I always feel that I am over-paying for the food that I get. Not including the Breakfast. They seem to be fairly priced on that.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
We have gone there a few times. Mostly we take the boat there in the summer time for Breakfast. It is one of the only places you can go by boat for breakfast. When we go for lunch or dinner the food is good, not great. The biggest problem that I have with the place is that I always feel that I am over-paying for the food that I get. Not including the Breakfast. They seem to be fairly priced on that.
Hmmmm....wonder if I've seen you in there. That's the "morning after" breakfast joint. :lmao:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Hey, it's your call. Then, your next place you love will have a bad not and off you go to find nirvana again. :shrug:

We, most of us, tend to be too tepid to complain and ask for the manager. We want everything to be perfect but, don't wanna do our part by letting the management know when there is a problem. I don't always complain.

Thing is, just take it in stride, tell the manager how much you love the place, how long you've been coming. It's not personal. I mean, it is for you, you felt betrayed and abused and, damn it, you ain't gonna take it no more!

However, maybe give it a try some time? If they really don't care about you, as opposed to just a bad night or a new cook or some human being waitress/staff type person in need of a new career path or what have you, they'll handle it poorly and not make you happy.

Otter

Nothing to see here
However, maybe give it a try some time? If they really don't care about you, as opposed to just a bad night or a new cook or some human being waitress/staff type person in need of a new career path or what have you, they'll handle it poorly and not make you happy.

Sounds like the wait staff needs a stern lecture from Vrai.

bulldog

Hey, it's your call. Then, your next place you love will have a bad not and off you go to find nirvana again. :shrug:

We, most of us, tend to be too tepid to complain and ask for the manager. We want everything to be perfect but, don't wanna do our part by letting the management know when there is a problem. I don't always complain.

Thing is, just take it in stride, tell the manager how much you love the place, how long you've been coming. It's not personal. I mean, it is for you, you felt betrayed and abused and, damn it, you ain't gonna take it no more!

Everyone and every place has a bad night and things go wrong. We know that happens and have never let one bad experience keep us from going back, but this visit was like 3 bad ones all rolled up into one. I'm sure we would have been willing to give it another go until the manager lied to us by telling us the server had ordered a dish for me that they did not even have on the menu.
I'll call today and talk to someone else and see what comes of it and may cave and go back. We'll see.
Oh, forgot to mention earlier...we knew going in that we would want to take some of our food home (have to give them credit for good portion sizes) so we asked for to-go boxes pretty early (while my dish was in the kitchen for the second time) and when she brought them out she put them on the floor next to our table.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Everyone and every place has a bad night and things go wrong. We know that happens and have never let one bad experience keep us from going back, but this visit was like 3 bad ones all rolled up into one. I'm sure we would have been willing to give it another go until the manager lied to us by telling us the server had ordered a dish for me that they did not even have on the menu.
I'll call today and talk to someone else and see what comes of it and may cave and go back. We'll see.
Oh, forgot to mention earlier...we knew going in that we would want to take some of our food home (have to give them credit for good portion sizes) so we asked for to-go boxes pretty early (while my dish was in the kitchen for the second time) and when she brought them out she put them on the floor next to our table.

Again, it's your call, you were there not us. Obviously, they pissed you off but good.

:buddies:

jaksprat

Very interesting. I went there Friday night with g/f and her daughter. I had crab cakes, g/f had seafood platter and daughter had seafood alfredo. I had ordered calamari appetizer which never came, but it didn't bother me too much since we were very happy with everything else. Anyway, it was our first dinner there. I had gone once for lunch with a friend last year--also good experience. For the dinner, we all thought a) prices were very reasonable, especially considering portion sizes, b) service was fine, and c) atmosphere was perfect for us (homey, no pretense, etc).

My crab cakes were very ample and tasty, my g/f's oysters were good (could have been a little crisper though--my preference) and I can only say that the daughter's meal was very good according to her (she doesn't like to share--argh!). I did just check her leftovers however since it's still in the frig, and saw shrimp, scallops (whole, not cut up), and crab meat in it. It looked very good.

I can sympathize with your situation and I'd probably have been a little pissed too, but maybe they just had an off night. I'd vote for going back after chilling out for a while. As for us, we'll definitely go back there again and even think it's better than most places in the area.

:buddies:

Jack

jaksprat

I just noticed your avatar. Maybe you would have been better off if you had ordered the mustard and biscuits, or the potted meat.

:killingme