1968 Chevrolet Impala SS 427 Has the Full Package, Barn Find, All Original, Unmolested

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Needless to say, the Chevelle also sold like hotcakes in 1968, as the production included close to 423,000 units, out of which around 58,000 of them rolled off the assembly lines with SS 396 tags. The Super Sport package, on the other hand, made its way to around 38,000 Impalas, most of them fitted with the Turbo-Fire 327 (5.3-liter) small-block.

Enter this original, unmolested, one-owner, barn-find 1968 Impala SS.

As you can tell from the pics, this Impala isn’t necessarily a mint-condition model, but on the other hand, it’s not a wreck either. In fact, it’s far from a rough project, as the car seems to tick many of the boxes for a very solid restoration candidate.

Parked since the ‘80s in a barn, this Impala SS obviously requires a lot of work, and a full restoration is required both inside and outside. The cabin, for example, needs a complete overhaul, but according to eBay seller allaboutdaloot, most of the parts are still there.

When it comes to the engine under the hood, this Impala SS was born with the almighty 427 (7.0-liter), and the same engine is still there. However, since the car spent so many years in storage, the big block is now locked up from sitting, so it’s hard to tell if it can still be saved or not.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My first job as a grocery bagger at Mattingly's IGA, the manager (Son-In-Law to the owner) had a 1967 Impala SS with a 427. It was his daily driver at the time. Man that thing was a boat. He let me drive it one time to mark the "End of Line" during the "gas crisis" for the self serve pumps out in front of the grocery. I wish we had those prices now...

I had a '65 convertible SS with a 327ci/300hp originally. By the time I got it, the heads were "misplaced" by my brother's buddy. I installed a 350, replaced the powerglide with a TH-350 and ended up selling it about the time my son was born. I think I still have the original AFB 4bbl carb somewhere.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My first job as a grocery bagger at Mattingly's IGA, the manager (Son-In-Law to the owner) had a 1967 Impala SS with a 427. It was his daily driver at the time. Man that thing was a boat. He let me drive it one time to mark the "End of Line" during the "gas crisis" for the self serve pumps out in front of the grocery. I wish we had those prices now...

I had a '65 convertible SS with a 327ci/300hp originally. By the time I got it, the heads were "misplaced" by my brother's buddy. I installed a 350, replaced thein its powerglide with a TH-350 and ended up selling it about the time my son was born. I think I still have the original AFB 4bbl carb somewhere.
The '57 Bel Air I drove my senior year in HS had a 1967 327-365HP Vette engine and M21 4-speed. The engine came from local Chevy dealer...they'd pulled it from a brand new vette after Daddy took his daughter's grad present for a ride and freaked out....they put the lowest power 327 in its place and I got the 365HP solid-lifter screamer for $800...in the same crate the replacement engine came in.