REALLY silly question...

bknarw

Attire Monitor
I got into a big discussion with a friend recently over chicken wings.
Are they white or dark meat?
A lot of people say "white" automatically, but my friend claims that a lot of places that put wings in with a "dark meat only" dinner. Why would they do that?
Plus, they say they have a slightly darker color...they're a bit greasier, just like dark meat, and they're in the dark meat portion of the bird (the bottom).
I say they're white meat because they look white and they're near the breast.
So what is it?

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
I worked at Roy Rogers in high school, and they classified wings as white meat... If you ordered white meat, you got a breast and a wing; dark meat, you got a thigh and a leg! If you got a wing thrown in instead of a leg, then it was because they were out of legs (and vice versa)...

When you order buffalo "wings" at a restaurant, they sometimes give you a mix of wings and "drummettes" – which are small legs (dark meat.)

bknarw

Attire Monitor
AHA!

Originally posted by Sierra39
I worked at Roy Rogers in high school, and they classified wings as white meat... If you ordered white meat, you got a breast and a wing; dark meat, you got a thigh and a leg! If you got a wing thrown in instead of a leg, then it was because they were out of legs (and vice versa)...

When you order buffalo "wings" at a restaurant, they sometimes give you a mix of wings and "drummettes" – which are small legs (dark meat.)

But here's the rub. "Drummettes" are actually cut up wings, with the chubby part and the bony part. So maybe they are part dark meat and part white meat?
Hmmmm........

Frank

Chairman of the Board
I just checked a few chicken sites - they all agree, it's dark meat. And the reason being that nutritionally, content wise - the tissue is the same. Higher fat content. I tend to agree - I wouldn't be able to tell the difference taste-wise, if the meat was pulled from the bone and I was asked to sample it.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Dang...

Originally posted by Frank
I just checked a few chicken sites - they all agree, it's dark meat. And the reason being that nutritionally, content wise - the tissue is the same. Higher fat content. I tend to agree - I wouldn't be able to tell the difference taste-wise, if the meat was pulled from the bone and I was asked to sample it.

So they really ARE dark meat?
My friend was right after all!!!
wow...