Catcher in the Rye...

Read it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

glhs837

Power with Control
Nope, got about 2 chapters in and gave it up as a bad job. Classic it may be, but I have no interest in depressing stories, and that was pretty depressing stuff right there.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I never read Catcher in the Rye. It wasn't required reading in honors and AP level English, and when I tried to read it after high school I just couldn't get into it. I did read Franny and Zooey though, and I thoroughly enjoyed that.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Never read it and forget what it was about.

I know Mark David Chapman was motivated to murder John Lennon because of Catcher in the Rye.

Beta84

They're out to get us
I never read Catcher in the Rye. It wasn't required reading in honors and AP level English, and when I tried to read it after high school I just couldn't get into it. I did read Franny and Zooey though, and I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Really?? :confused:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I read it but my poll answer would be somewhere between:
Yes, must read
Yes, wasted on me

I'm not a big fan of pointless teen angst stories. Grow up and get a freakin' life.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Depends on your locale and timing. It wasn't required for me either.

According to wikipedia:lol: it is one of the most censored books in public schools. However, it's also one of the top books that is required reading in public schools. Districts either love it or hate it.

T

toppick08

I don't remember having to read it......we did have The Red Badge of Courage as required reading material....still enjoy that book.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Nope. We were too busy reading Dante, Kafka, etc. :dead:

i had the pleasure of reading all of those exciting books too. Metamorphosis was possibly the dumbest book ever, but that made it all the more amusing. :killingme

According to wikipedia:lol: it is one of the most censored books in public schools. However, it's also one of the top books that is required reading in public schools. Districts either love it or hate it.

true, maybe it's because i'm a little younger, but my AP teachers never cared for what was censored or not anyway. they went with the best literary works and didn't care what people said

BuddyLee

Football addict
I don't remember having to read it......we did have The Red Badge of Courage as required reading material....still enjoy that book.
We had to read Tale of Two Cities, which was pretty damn boring. I also had to read Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five. Still love that book to this day.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy

Locale and timing..

PG County...stone age. :lol:

Also had to read Grapes Of Wrath the same year.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
true, maybe it's because i'm a little younger, but my AP teachers never cared for what was censored or not anyway. they went with the best literary works and didn't care what people said
The only "required" reading for us was what was assigned over the summer. During the school year we chose whatever we wanted from a long list of recommended reading, usually 2 a quarter I think, for papers and such.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Locale and timing..

PG County...stone age. :lol:

Also had to read Grapes Of Wrath the same year.
Grapes of wrath: ran out of food/money, needed to move. found a place, had a hard time finding work, ran out of food/money, needed to move. So on and so forth. :banghead:

That was possibly the most difficult read of my life. We had to read Scarlet Letter and Grapes of Wrath back to back. I'm not sure a single person in my class was able to read both fully through...we could only tolerate one or the other.

The only "required" reading for us was what was assigned over the summer. During the school year we chose whatever we wanted from a long list of recommended reading, usually 2 a quarter I think, for papers and such.
oh ok...we had to read a ton of books and didn't get many options until the end of the year.

Oh yeah...forgot about Of Mice and Men. That was just...ok.
i can't remember it well but i had to read that too

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We read it in 7th or 8th grade. :yawn: I hate to say this but I was in the middle of "Portnoy's Complaint" when we got the book assignment, so ol' Holden and his issues didn't really grab my attention.

BuddyLee

Football addict
i can't remember it well but i had to read that too
Typical Steinbeck novel based near the California rusty plains. About a man and his retarded buddy during the Great Depression. Near the climax the buddy commits a horrid act (forget what exactly) and there's a mob looking to string him up. The man finds his buddy first but decides to kill him himself instead of leaving him to the mob. Cue the sobs...