2 Chronicles 33 Ceased Abortions

seekeroftruth

2 Chronicles 33:14 Afterward he rebuilt the outer wall of the City of David, west of the Gihon spring in the valley, as far as the entrance of the Fish Gate and encircling the hill of Ophel; he also made it much higher. He stationed military commanders in all the fortified cities in Judah.
15 He got rid of the foreign gods and removed the image from the temple of the Lord, as well as all the altars he had built on the temple hill and in Jerusalem; and he threw them out of the city. 16 Then he restored the altar of the Lord and sacrificed fellowship offerings and thank offerings on it, and told Judah to serve the Lord, the God of Israel. 17 The people, however, continued to sacrifice at the high places, but only to the Lord their God.
18 The other events of Manasseh’s reign, including his prayer to his God and the words the seers spoke to him in the name of the Lord, the God of Israel, are written in the annals of the kings of Israel.[a] 19 His prayer and how God was moved by his entreaty, as well as all his sins and unfaithfulness, and the sites where he built high places and set up Asherah poles and idols before he humbledhimself—all these are written in the records of the seers.(b) 20 Manasseh rested with his ancestors and was buried in his palace. And Amon his son succeeded him as king.

a. 2 Chronicles 33:18 That is, Judah, as frequently in 2 Chronicles
b. 2 Chronicles 33:19 One Hebrew manuscript and Septuagint; most Hebrew manuscripts of Hoza

When I left this baby killing moron, the Assyrians had captured him.... and they put a hook in his nose and led him around by his snooty nose.... but then he repented, saw the evil of his ways and God forgave him. Apparently Manasseh stopped throwing his babies in the fire.... allowing the line to continue from David to Jesus. Sometimes God must have to allow evil idiots to survive.... for a purpose.... in this case it was a baby killing, molochian. Well looks like he's put his molochian ways behind him.

Back to the easy English commentary....

Manasseh and the people would not listen to the LORD. Because of their sin, the LORD told them about the punishment that he would send upon them. Enemies would destroy Jerusalem and the people would go into exile (2 Kings 21:10-15).​
The LORD sent officers from the king of Assyria. They tied Manasseh with chains and they took him to Babylon. No other records mention this event. Perhaps he joined Egypt’s army as they tried to get free from the rule of Assyria. It may be that Manasseh had involved himself in the affairs of Babylon. The brother of King Osnappar, Shamash-shum-ukin was the ruler in Babylon. He tried to free Babylon from the rule of Assyria. But Osnappar defeated the army of Babylon. These events were in about 652 to 648 BC.
Manasseh suffered there in Babylon. He prayed to the LORD. He repented that he had been proud. And he repented of his wicked deeds. He was humble toward the God of his ancestors. And the LORD heard him. He did not deserve it but the LORD was kind to him. The LORD caused the king of Assyria to free Manasseh. Manasseh returned to Jerusalem. The answer to his prayers convinced him that the LORD was the real God. But this was too late to prevent the future punishment of Judah.
Manasseh had changed. Now he removed the foreign gods and the image that he had put in the temple. He removed all the altars that he had built in Jerusalem. He set up the LORD’s altar. He started again the sacrifices to the LORD God. He told his people to worship the LORD God of Israel. He did not remove all the high places for worship. But the people worshipped the LORD at those places.
Manasseh died in 642 BC and they buried him in his palace. His son Amon then ruled in Judah.​
I have friends and family who have had "inconvenient" children removed. Abortion is such a common word now. I believe Bathsheba probably ate or drank some concoction to rid herself of the shame David caused.... and I believe David wasn't praying for the baby.... I think David was praying for the abortion to be successful. That kind of scandal wouldn't have been acceptable in the story of David. I believe that when Bathsheba's baby had passed... David got up and went about his business... problem solved.

I think Manasseh was happy on the throne. He watched his dad and learned the rituals. He listened when his dad held court... he learned how to run a country. He decided how he would protect his throne..... molech..... abortion. One thing Manasseh would not have to worry about... was some upstart kid of his throwing him off his rightful place on the throne. He just killed every baby he produced.... molech got quite a workout.

Once that hook was put in his nose, Manasseh started to feel his mortality. Once that hook was put in his nose... I think Manasseh had one of those experiences my grandmother would have called "coming to God experience". He repented.... too late for a lot of his children... but in time to save the line from David to Jesus.

Manasseh didn't just "say" he was changed.... he tore down the statues and the poles. He didn't destroy all the fake church buildings.... where the people worshiped other man made objects.... but.... he cleaned the crap out of them and set the humans back to worshiping God in those places instead of shiny idols or baby killing monster statues. In the end... Manasseh didn't get left on the side of the road for birds to pick clean.... like some villains in the Bible. In the end he was buried in his palace... so he had regained some of his stature.... although he probably saw the scar from the hook every time he saw his reflection.

Finally.... Manasseh did have a son.... Amon..... long live the "king" Amon. Will Amon understand the meaning of "Theocracy"?

☕