2 Chronicles 6 Big Soap Box

seekeroftruth

2 Chronicles 6:12 Then Solomon stood before the altar of the Lord in front of the whole assembly of Israel and spread out his hands. 13 Now he had made a bronze platform, five cubits long, five cubits wide and three cubits high,[a] and had placed it in the center of the outer court. He stood on the platform and then knelt down before the whole assembly of Israel and spread out his hands toward heaven. 14 He said:
“Lord, the God of Israel, there is no God like you in heaven or on earth—you who keep your covenant of love with your servants who continue wholeheartedly in your way. 15 You have kept your promise to your servant David my father; with your mouth you have promised and with your hand you have fulfilled it—as it is today.
16 “Now, Lord, the God of Israel, keep for your servant David my father the promises you made to him when you said, ‘You shall never fail to have a successor to sit before me on the throne of Israel, if only your descendants are careful in all they do to walk before me according to my law, as you have done.’17 And now, Lord, the God of Israel, let your word that you promised your servant David come true.
18 “But will God really dwell on earth with humans? The heavens, even the highest heavens, cannot contain you. How much less this temple I have built!19 Yet, Lord my God, give attention to your servant’s prayer and his plea for mercy. Hear the cry and the prayer that your servant is praying in your presence. 20 May your eyes be open toward this temple day and night, this place of which you said you would put your Name there. May you hear the prayer your servant prays toward this place. 21 Hear the supplications of your servant and of your people Israel when they pray toward this place. Hear from heaven, your dwelling place; and when you hear, forgive.
a. 2 Chronicles 6:13 That is, about 7 1/2 feet long and wide and 4 1/2 feet high or about 2.3 meters long and wide and 1.4 meters high

Solomon had the first soap box to get his message apart. I have to admit.... I've never seen them get on a box before. They have climbed mountains, they have stood on hill tops, roof tops, and balconies. Solomon was looking out through a lattice in Proverbs when he was stalking the whore house.... but I have never noticed a platform before.

The easy English has less preaching this morning.

Solomon stood on a platform so that the people could see him more easily. He had made the platform out of bronze. It was about 7.5 feet (2.3 metres) square and about 4.5 feet (1.3 metres) high. At first, he stood and he spread his hands out. Then he went down on his knees in an attitude of prayer. And he raised his hands towards the sky.
Solomon then asked the LORD to continue to do what he had promised to David. But the LORD had only promised to do these things if Solomon and the people were loyal to him. If they obeyed the LORD, then a descendant of David would rule Israel.
Solomon had built the temple for the LORD. But he knew that the LORD was too big to live in any building on earth. Space and time cannot contain God. He is larger than the heavens. But we should not think that he is a long way away. He is everywhere at the same time. Therefore, he is always near. The temple’s function was for people to find God; not to contain him. So, the temple was the place where the people came to*worship God.​
Solomon asks the LORD to hear the prayers of his people, that is, Israel. They would make their prayers towards the temple. The temple was the place where they expected the LORD to meet with them. But the LORD was in heaven and there he would hear their prayers. He would answer them from heaven.
Clarifications are in order here.... IMHO....

Have you ever tried praying on your knees with your hands extended towards Heaven? It's real exercise! I tried it .... starting in the standing position with hands extended out to the sides.... and then move the hands to the praying position in front of the face.... then get on my knees. [I would fall at this point, without something to steady me..... and my knees would be killing me... unless that platform of Solomon's was padded.... his knees were either aching or calloused from years of prayer.] Then..... push my hands to heaven while staying on my knees.... now I can pray. [I would not be able to get up after the prayer.... without something to steady me.]

Solomon saw the black cloud enter the Temple. The black cloud was the form God used when He was leading the 2 Million Israelis from Egypt to the Promised Land. This was a recognizable form for Him.... but Solomon realized that the black cloud was only there for his benefit.... God can't fit in a building. That would be like trying to fit Amazon in a garage.

God is not confined to the Temple in Jerusalem. He's also not gone just because the Temple is gone. God is also not confined to churches, parishes, chapels, or synagogues.... He'll meet me where I am. God controls space and time.... so it's ok to talk to Him right now right here wherever I am reading right now.

☕