2 Chronicles 6 Settled

seekeroftruth

2 Chronicles 6:1 Then Solomon said, “The Lord has said that he would dwell in a dark cloud; 2 I have built a magnificent temple for you, a place for you to dwell forever.”
3 While the whole assembly of Israel was standing there, the king turned around and blessed them. 4 Then he said:
“Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, who with his hands has fulfilled what he promised with his mouth to my father David. For he said, 5 ‘Since the day I brought my people out of Egypt, I have not chosen a city in any tribe of Israel to have a temple built so that my Name might be there, nor have I chosen anyone to be ruler over my people Israel. 6 But now I have chosen Jerusalem for my Name to be there, and I have chosen David to rule my people Israel.’
7 “My father David had it in his heart to build a temple for the Name of the Lord, the God of Israel. 8 But the Lord said to my father David, ‘You did well to have it in your heart to build a temple for my Name. 9 Nevertheless, you are not the one to build the temple, but your son, your own flesh and blood—he is the one who will build the temple for my Name.’
10 “The Lord has kept the promise he made. I have succeeded David my father and now I sit on the throne of Israel, just as the Lord promised, and I have built the temple for the Name of the Lord, the God of Israel. 11 There I have placed the ark, in which is the covenant of the Lord that he made with the people of Israel.”

It worked. Solomon did what David couldn't. Solomon was not only king, he built the Temple. David could only put together the parts because of what happened to Uriah on the battlefield after David had his turn at Uriah's wife behind his back. Solomon took those pieces and built a gleaming Temple and as promised, God moved in.... evidenced by the dark cloud.

This is from Bible-studys.org.

It is of great consequence in all our religious actions that we design well, and that our eye be single. If Solomon had built this temple in the pride of his heart, as Ahasuerus made his feast, only to show the riches of his kingdom and the honor of his majesty, it would neither have glorified God nor have turned to his own advantage. But he here declares on what inducements he undertook it, and they are such as not only justify, but magnify the undertaking. The reader will recollect that this whole prayer occurs in (1 Kings chapter 8). And that it has been explained at length in the notes there.​
This was Solomon speaking to the LORD. Solomon's desire was for the LORD to make His home in the temple in Jerusalem. Solomon saw the temple as a permanent dwelling, unlike the tabernacle which moved from place to place.​

I want to continue to badger David for what he did to Bathsheba and Uriah. This temple construction only reminds me of the affair. No doubt Solomon knew but he must have been well trained in holding it in. No doubt on this day.... when Solomon, the first heir king to the throne of the Nation of Israel, discussed the promise made by God to David.... he also remembered how Uriah's promise to Bathsheba had been broken by David. He must have also remembered the death of his brother, David's son. All this must have been in the back of his mind.

He didn't taunt it. He didn't cry about his father's shortcomings or his mother's #metoo moment. Solomon didn't parade his wealth and knowledge either... as the commentary points out. He didn't say "I'm so rich you won't believe it". Solomon thanked his father for the erector set complete with living parts and divine instruction and then Solomon gave God all the credit. Good boy! God moved in....

☕