2 Kings 19 Hair Toss

seekeroftruth

2 Kings 19:20 Then Isaiah son of Amoz sent a message to Hezekiah: “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: I have heard your prayer concerning Sennacherib king of Assyria. 21 This is the word that the Lord has spoken against him:

“‘Virgin Daughter Zion
despises you and mocks you.
Daughter Jerusalem
tosses her head as you flee.​

"Don't worry Hezekiah, God heard your prayer."

Let me set the scene once again.....

Characters...
Isaiah is a prophet.... he works for God
Hezekiah is king of Judah.... which includes the city of Jerusalem where God's temple is
Sennacherib has a field general who has been harassing Hezekiah.... demanding surrender and mass deportation

Plot...
Hezekiah made just about everyone [except God, a handful of humans, and the prophets] angry because he tore down all the poles, statues, rock pile, and poop that was used to worship false gods. Meanwhile, Assyria has taken out all of Israel and Judah is in the cross-hairs. The field commander of the Assyrian army was blasting everyone with propaganda. He was claiming that God was mad at Hezekiah for doing the right thing. Hezekiah.... good king... hit his knees and laid it out for God.

Now Isaiah is on site with Hezekiah.... he is telling Hezekiah.... it'll be alright.... "Jerusalem will toss her head while Assyria flees"

This is from GodVine.

Concerning him - i. e., "concerning Sennacherib." 2 Kings 19:21-28 are addressed to the great Assyrian monarch himself, and are God's reply to his proud boastings.

The virgin, the daughter of Zion, - Rather, holy eastern city, is here distinguished from Jerusalem, the western one, and is given the remarkable epithet "virgin," which is not applied to her sister; probably because the true Zion, the city of David, had remained inviolable from David's time, having never been entered by an enemy. Jerusalem, on the other hand, had been taken, both by Shishak 1 Kings 14:26 and by Jehoash 2 Kings 14:13. The personification of cities as females is a common figure.

Hath shaken her head at thee - This was a gesture of scorn with the Hebrews (compare the marginal references; Matthew 27:39).

19:21 Virgin - So he calls Zion, or Jerusalem; because she was pure in good measure from that gross idolatry wherewith other people were defiled, which is called spiritual whoredom: and to signify, that God would defend her from the rape which Sennacherib intended to commit upon her with no less care than parents do their virgin daughters from those who seek to force and deflower them.

This is from bible-studys.org.

Sennacherib had spoken against the Lord (“reproached and blasphemed … rage against Me”), and the one true God had heard every word. Now the Lord would have the final say “concerning him”. What’s more, God would prove that His were not just words: He would see to it that Sennacherib did not “come into” the “city”.

Hezekiah had not sent a messenger to Isaiah. God revealed to Isaiah what Hezekiah had prayed, and gave Isaiah the message for Hezekiah. "Thus saith the LORD God of Israel" shows the words that Isaiah spoke, were God's Words in Isaiah's mouth.

The daughter of Zion here, is probably speaking of Jerusalem. This is another way of saying, that they were not afraid of Assyria. The shaking of the head is a way of shaming Assyria. Zion is the city of God many times. It also speaks of the believers.​

I tried googling "with a flick of her hair" and it was the direct opposite of what I found here. They do not agree with our biblical commentaries. Then I googled "with a flick of her hair in the Bible". I left the link for you.

The point is.... Hezekiah did the right thing. The field commander was only wasting his breath.... Jerusalem is not going to fall into a long siege [bad enough to make them eat poop or drink pee]. God likes what Hezekiah did... and He's coming to the rescue.

:coffee:

Last edited: