2 Kings 8 If it weren't for David

seekeroftruth

2 Kings 8:16 In the fifth year of Joram son of Ahab king of Israel, when Jehoshaphat was king of Judah, Jehoram son of Jehoshaphat began his reign as king of Judah. 17 He was thirty-two years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem eight years. 18 He followed the ways of the kings of Israel, as the house of Ahab had done, for he married a daughter of Ahab. He did evil in the eyes of the Lord. 19 Nevertheless, for the sake of his servant David, the Lord was not willing to destroy Judah. He had promised to maintain a lamp for David and his descendants forever.

20 In the time of Jehoram, Edom rebelled against Judah and set up its own king. 21 So Jehoram(b) went to Zair with all his chariots. The Edomites surrounded him and his chariot commanders, but he rose up and broke through by night; his army, however, fled back home. 22 To this day Edom has been in rebellion against Judah. Libnah revolted at the same time.

23 As for the other events of Jehoram’s reign, and all he did, are they not written in the book of the annals of the kings of Judah? 24 Jehoram rested with his ancestors and was buried with them in the City of David. And Ahaziah his son succeeded him as king.​

b. 2 Kings 8:21 Hebrew Joram, a variant of Jehoram; also in verses 23 and 24

What an odd set of verses. The name of the guy we're talking about changes name in the middle. No... this isn't like when God changed Jacob's name from Jacob to Israel. This is more like a James and Jimmy thing. For a time there were two kings with the name, Jehoram.... so the king Jehoram of Israel was called Joram while the king of Judah kept it Jehoram.

Here's a little history update from biblestudytools.com.

The children of Esau are said to have "destroyed" the Horites who dwelt in Seir before them (Genesis 14:6; Deuteronomy 2:22). This only means that the Horites were subdued. Esau married the daughter of Anah, a Horite (Genesis 36:20--in verse 2 he is called a Hivite); and the lists in this chapter show that the races intermingled. The Horite government was in the hands of "dukes" (Genesis 36:29, the Revised Version (British and American) "chiefs"). They were succeeded by dukes of the house of Esau (Genesis 36:40). This form of government gave way to that of an elective monarchy (Genesis 36:31); and this had existed some time before Israel left the wilderness. The then reigning king would not permit Israel to pass through the land (Numbers 20:14; 21:4). Israel was forbidden to "abhor an Edomite," on the ground that he was a brother; and children of the third generation might enter the assembly of the Lord (Deuteronomy 23:7). War with Edom was out of the question.

According to the enduringword.com site, Jezebel, that vixen is still causing calamity even tho Ahab and Jezebel are no longer king and queen. Jezebel's daughter is the thorn.

For the daughter of Ahab was his wife: The wickedness of Jehoram was not a surprise, considering how much he allowed himself to be influenced by the house of Ahab. Perhaps this marriage made sense politically or socially, but it was a spiritual calamity for Judah.

Arranged by his father, Jehoram married the daughter of Ahab and Jezebel – her name was Athaliah. In order to consolidate his throne, he murdered his many brothers and many other leaders (1 Chronicles 21:1-6). “Josephus expands on this, indicating that he committed the murders at the prompting of Athaliah.” (Dilday)​

What a bitter disappointment the demise of Judah's worship must have been to God. I know, since He's God, He knew this day was coming, but humans had plenty of opportunities to get it right and keep it right, which would have brought that different outcome where Jesus didn't have to go to the cross....but alas... humans are humans. It would be wonderful if God could just wipe them out and start all over again... you know... like when He used a flood to clean up the mess. God had Noah build a boat to save the human race. Humans went right back to sinning. Then came David.... that wonderful shepherd who became a warrior by taking out a giant and a king when God had him anointed to take pretty boy Saul's throne. Remember.... God couldn't wipe out Jehoram in Judah because God made a covenant with David.......Back to the commentary....

Yet the LORD would not destroy Judah, for the sake of his servant David: The implication is that Jehoram’s evil was great enough to justify such judgment, but God withheld it out of faithfulness to his ancestor David.

“The lamp was more than a symbol of life and of testimony; it reminded the hearer of the covenant (Psalm 132:17, c.f. 2 Chronicles 21:7).” (Wiseman)​

This reminds me of every one of those detective dramas where the bad guy gets off because the "state" needs him to testify. Only in this case... the jerk has got to live so Jesus can come and clean up the mess. Gotta keep the DNA going.... bummer.... at least we are assured once again that God keeps His word... even when I'm sure He really didn't want to.

When I'm crocheting... I hate to pull out stitches that are not working right.... and sometimes, I've been know to just give up cut the yarn and toss the mess. I hate doing that to crochet... I can't fathom how God would have felt, leaving those nasty bad stitches in there because He promised David He wouldn't cut the yarn.

:coffee: