2 Timothy 1 Trust

seekeroftruth

2 Timothy 1: 1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, in keeping with the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus,
2 To Timothy, my dear son:
Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
3 I thank God, whom I serve, as my ancestors did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. 4 Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. 5 I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.
6 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7 For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. 8 So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner. Rather, join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God. 9 He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, 10 but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. 11 And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. 12 That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet this is no cause for shame, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day.
13 What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus. 14 Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you—guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.
15 You know that everyone in the province of Asia has deserted me, including Phygelus and Hermogenes.
16 May the Lord show mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, because he often refreshed me and was not ashamed of my chains. 17 On the contrary, when he was in Rome, he searched hard for me until he found me. 18 May the Lord grant that he will find mercy from the Lord on that day! You know very well in how many ways he helped me in Ephesus.

The easy English site sets the stage.

At the end of the book of Acts, the apostle Paul was still in prison in Rome. When he came out of prison, he went to Macedonia (1 Timothy 1:3). After that, he travelled to other places. While on these journeys, he wrote the first letter to Timothy. Timothy was then in the city of Ephesus. Timothy was the leader of the church there. Later Paul was again in prison in Rome. It was from there that he wrote this second letter to Timothy. Timothy was still in Ephesus.
Timothy was the son of a Gentile father and a Jewish mother. His mother, Eunice, and grandmother, Lois, both believed the gospel of Christ (2 Timothy 1:5). They and Timothy probably became Christians when Paul first went to the town of Lystra (Acts 14). All the Christians in Lystra and in the church in the town of Iconium said good things about Timothy.​
When Paul came the second time to Lystra, he asked Timothy to join his team (Acts 16:1-3). Timothy became a close friend and helper of Paul. He went with Paul as he travelled to many places. Then Paul appointed Timothy to lead and look after the church at Ephesus.
Most likely, when Paul last parted from him, Timothy was sad. Probably, he cried a little. As Paul thought about it, he had a strong desire to see Timothy again. It was sad when they parted. But it would be a great joy to Paul if they could meet again.​
Something had reminded Paul about the kind of faith that Timothy had in the Lord. It was so sincere and real. Paul thanked God that he had given such faith to Timothy. Paul thanked God for all that he had done in Timothy’s life.​
The thought of Timothy’s faith reminds Paul of Timothy’s family. Both Timothy’s grandmother (Lois) and his mother (Eunice) had the same real faith in God. They put their trust in the Lord before Timothy did. Paul could see that Timothy believed in the Lord Jesus. He believed just as they did. His faith is as genuine as theirs was.

When God calls a person to do a task, he makes that person able to do it. Timothy was a quiet and shy man. But God had appointed him to lead the church at Ephesus. So, God gave him all that he needed to do the task.
The gift of the Holy Spirit of God would not cause him to be afraid. Instead, it would make him bold. He need not be shy or afraid to use his authority in the church.​
In the church of God, the leader serves the people. Those who have authority must use it with love. They must love God and his people. It is difficult for us to love like this. But the gift of God is love. So then we can love as God intends us to love.
Paul also says that the gift of the Spirit brings with it the control of our minds. He makes us able to control our thoughts and actions.​

God did not save us because of what we had done. We can do nothing that could earn for us this salvation. God did not choose us because we were good. And he did not choose us because we had done the right things. The scripture says that all of us have sinned (Romans 3:23). He saved us because he decided to do so. God in his grace blesses those who do not deserve it.
God planned and did this before time began. That was even before he made the world. Before we had sinned, God had the remedy for sin.

Paul had taught Timothy the truth about God and the Lord Jesus. He had told Timothy how Christians should behave. He had shown him what Christians ought to believe. All that Paul taught was correct and true. God sent Paul for this purpose to declare what was true. All of this was a pattern for Timothy to follow. He must preserve and guard the truth of these words of Paul.
These true words are a pattern of what Timothy should teach. He must not merely repeat what Paul said. This is because that was not complete in all the details of the truth. But it forms the base on which Timothy should express the truth.
Timothy should not just follow the words. He must do so with faith and love. Faith and love are ours when we belong to Christ. We have to know Christ Jesus as our Lord before we can have this *aith and love. The only way to keep the truth is to both live and speak it with faith and love.
Asia here is not the continent of Asia. It was only a part of what is now the country of Turkey. And Ephesus was its capital city.​

Timothy knew that many Christians in Asia or from Asia had failed to help Paul. He cannot mean that all of the Christians there had turned against him. He must have meant a group of them. Perhaps the church leaders had not sent their support for him. Or perhaps he means those from Asia who were in Rome. He would expect them to come and help him but they did not.​
Paul names two of those who failed him. They are Phygelus and Hermogenes. We do not know anything about these two men.​
Paul asks the Lord to be kind to the family of Onesiphorus. He wants the Lord to provide for them what they need. It seems that Onesiphorus was not at home. The family stayed in Ephesus while he went to Rome.
When Onesiphorus first arrived there, he searched for Paul. And he searched for him until he found him. This was not an easy task. There were many in prison in Rome. He was not ashamed or afraid to be a friend of Paul. Paul was in prison and in chains. But this did not worry Onesiphorus. He often came to see Paul. When he came, he brought Paul what he needed. He may have brought food and other things. But Paul most appreciated his being there with him. He often encouraged Paul. And he cheered him when he was unhappy.​
It was not only in Rome that Onesiphorus had helped Paul. Timothy knew how much Onesiphorus had done for the church and for Paul when he was in Ephesus. Paul prays about that day when Onesiphorus will give an account of his life to the Lord. He prays that the Lord will receive Onesiphorus and bless him.​

None of the other commentaries added a whole lot to this commentary. Most are very long winded but don't add anything.

Paul trusted Timothy. He also trusted some of the people in the church. Apparently Paul has had a couple of people who were supposed to be his backup... but they fell back when Paul was arrested. At the same time, however, there was also another guy lingering when Paul was arrested and he kept close. It's almost as if I am witnessing the first prison ministry. Onesiphorus searched through a crowded prison until he found Paul. Now while some of the commentaries say that the letter is about encouraging Timothy.... I believe there is a special request right out front that Timothy look in on the family of Onesiphorus. The man of the house was in Rome taking care of Paul... so the church needed to take care of Onesiphorus' family.

Timothy was apparently a shy sort. He was raised by his mom and grandmom. His dad was a Gentile and his mom was a descendant of Jacob [Israel]. He was a half breed... raised by women.... and armed with the Gospel. I have always considered Timothy to be a "sweet boy".... a "good kid".... anything but a bully. He was going to have to stand up to people though. There would be people in the church that would demand that Timothy "listen to them" because they figured they were older and well trained in the Jewish traditions... so that little boy Timothy should just step back and let the men do it. IMHO... I think that's what Paul is saying directly to Timothy.... "don't let them shove you around... stick to the Gospel.... don't change it to fit their idea of what it really is."

Check out verse 9.....
2 Timothy 1:9 He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,

That's what I've been saying.... In the beginning... when God was sculpting each of us... counting the hairs on our heads.... He knew how the story was going to end. He knew if the human He was sculpting would play a major role... like Onesiphorus or if the human would be a minor character like Phygelus and Hermogenes. God knew who Timothy would be and while God was sculpting Timothy... He added a little upgrade... and when [if because we can always change our fate] Timothy believed in what his mom and grandmom taught him.... the Holy Spirit could move in and flip the switch that gives us courage and hope.

Here's how it's affecting me today..... I had a cousin... he's passed now.... anyway out of the blue his wife commented on a post from facebook. I was asking how everyone was doing.... because of COVID.... I have family all over the East Coast. I heard we are entering a new wave of infections. I was checking with my family and that's when my cousin's wife popped up. She is in the Charlotte area. She told me there is no COVID to worry about in the Charlotte area. Her son works at the hospital... everything is just fine... there are plenty of beds in the hospital.... The ICU is ready. She said COVID is no big deal... just another flu. That's what she told me... and then she scolded me for listening to a political party.

Now.... I confess. I am afraid of getting COVID. I live in an apartment complex that is for those who are 55 and over. There are a lot of old people here and the majority of them do not wear a mask unless they are required to do so.... like when they go to the store. There are even doctors in this area that do not require anyone to wear a mask in the office. I am still dealing with a bad eye.... metastatic stage 4 colon cancer... Lyme disease in remission and I smoked for 53 years before I quit. So if I get that "flu" it's going to head for my lungs or my gutt... and either is going to put me in a bad spot... and then I can't post the Bible Study or watch football with hubby.

My own doctor was the one that does not require a mask. When I questioned it.... the lab tech... while standing right over me... getting ready to stick a needle in my arm to draw blood told me that she was fine because "I've got God". Oh brother.... really? What if I didn't have God... what about the "other guy".

When I mull my insecurities over in my mind... I consider that this is not the first time my life has been in a valley where death is hanging out. I'm stage 4 cancer... and the Lyme was messing with my heart... I was having little mini strokes. I have always said.... "what's the worst thing that can happen? If I die I go to Heaven. That's no bad at all... that's Heaven.... so I'm good". I have given my life to Christ.... I know there's a place for me at God's place. I know I'm going to live forever. So why am I in quarantine... shying away from my neighbors and arguing with the lab tech.

I admit... I'm selfish... I want to finish posting these chapters until I get to the end of Revelation. I have posted these chapters while in the hospital. I have posted these chapters while on vacation. I post them while I'm having my first couple of cups of coffee... first thing in the morning. I want to finish... not so much for the "there I did it" jubilation..... but because if I stop.... it might stop someone else... or slow them down... and I don't want to do that. I'm selfish....

I am an adopted child of God. Jesus is my Big Brother. With a family like that....I trust that I will wake up in Heaven..... I have trust.....

☕