20/20 "If I Only Had a Gun"

CharlieBravo

Carrying a Gun Wouldn't Necessarily Get You Out of a Shooting - ABC News

Just on ABC channel 7 on Comcast. Wow...just wow. Not a single story of a firearm being used in a story with a "happy" ending. Not one story of a firearm being successfully used in self-defense. I will never get that hour of my life back...There were so many half-truths and outright lies and skewed statistics...appeal to emotion logical fallacies. The sad thing is so many Americans sitting at home bought that lousy excuse for "objective" journalism as gospel.

Oh yeah, that was one of the most OBJECTIVE pieces of journalism I've ever seen. This country is seriously being primed by politicians and the media (is there a difference) to sign off on totally banning those evil bang-bang things out of some sick guilt trip

C

citizen_fear

Their view: Gun are the root of the evil they're associated with,it's not the people..... How about Devon and the little town in Florida,unbelievable.

puggymom

I saw the commercial for it and immeduately thought it sounded like irresponible journalism. How much training where these people given (based on me only watching the commercial) before giving them a gun and saying here defend yourself. I mean were they given courses in advance on proper usage of a gun?

Lilypad

I flipped between channels last night-saw a portion of the show. It was touching and poignant watching the children who were involved in a shooting speak. Nine yrs. ago my nephew (7 yrs old) was “accidentally” shot by a 15 yr old neighbor; he survived, but suffers from hearing loss and has a prosthetic right eye. The young man who shot Jim was sent to a juvenile home for 10 months, once released he ran away from home, and the last thing I heard he was in jail in Ohio.

I have been on 5/911 calls involving gunshots in 3 years-5 too many for me-3 involved children. All I can ever hope for are responsible parents, gun safety education and gun locks/safes.

L

Libertarian

Carrying a gun may not keep you out of a shooting, but at least you can shoot back.

Agreed. Plus, psychos notoriously go places where they are likely to face unarmed citizens (i.e., college campuses, government buildings, etc.) when they want to release their pent up anger into a killing spree. If more people were allowed to carry, that uncertainty would be there. Gotta run. Happy Easter to all who celebrate it.

H

HouseCat

Well, what do you expect. The new liberal anti-gun regime is working hard to ban all the guns...this is one of many propaganda schemes to come that will air. That's how they do it: they get all the ignorant people riled up about something they know nothing about...reality.

PEOPLE ARE STUPID... first rule of politics. They'll believe anything you put on the news...so that's where you start.

sgt_turmoil

media

the media has to make a story regardless. Downtown bagdad is worse than downtown baltimore. I watched a guy from channel 8 news during a storm cut his microphone down and have his cameraman lean to one side a little to make it look like the wind was pushing him over like that and so he had to yell into the microphone. The news is about as real as breast implants.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I tried to watch but got tired of all the BS info. they were giving, obvious propaganda piece to anyone that knows anything about guns, unfortunately most will just eat this garbage up.

Pushrod

Patriot
I flipped between channels last night-saw a portion of the show. It was touching and poignant watching the children who were involved in a shooting speak. Nine yrs. ago my nephew (7 yrs old) was “accidentally” shot by a 15 yr old neighbor; he survived, but suffers from hearing loss and has a prosthetic right eye. The young man who shot Jim was sent to a juvenile home for 10 months, once released he ran away from home, and the last thing I heard he was in jail in Ohio.

I have been on 5/911 calls involving gunshots in 3 years-5 too many for me-3 involved children. All I can ever hope for are responsible parents, gun safety education and gun locks/safes.

You have some of your recommendations correct. The main one is responsible parents. Parents need to teach their children proper and safe gun handling and take the mystery out of guns. I grew up around firearms and from my earliest memories it was drilled in to me how to safely handle a firearm and the damage they could do. Needless to say, my sister and I never 'played' with a firearm or were overly curious about them since they were commonplace.

I will disagree with you on gun locks/safes. A locked away gun doesn't really do you any good when you have seconds to retrieve it and protect you and yours.

bulldog

You have some of your recommendations correct. The main one is responsible parents. Parents need to teach their children proper and safe gun handling and take the mystery out of guns. I grew up around firearms and from my earliest memories it was drilled in to me how to safely handle a firearm and the damage they could do. Needless to say, my sister and I never 'played' with a firearm or were overly curious about them since they were commonplace.

I will disagree with you on gun locks/safes. A locked away gun doesn't really do you any good when you have seconds to retrieve it and protect you and yours.

True, but if you have more guns than you need at any one time to protect yourself, a safe is a good place for them. My "extra" guns are in a safe to help protect in the event of a fire and to hopefully prevent them from being stolen. Granted, if someone wants them, they will get them if they have time, but my safe will make it harder.

Pushrod

Patriot
True, but if you have more guns than you need at any one time to protect yourself, a safe is a good place for them. My "extra" guns are in a safe to help protect in the event of a fire and to hopefully prevent them from being stolen. Granted, if someone wants them, they will get them if they have time, but my safe will make it harder.

Your correct Bulldog, I should have qualified my statement as 'your home-defence weapon'. It is indeed much better to have your other weapons safely stowed in a safe to prevent theft. Thank you for the correction.