20 years since La Plata Tornado

Hessian

2 Decades ago....I was driving back from Fredericksburg... eyeing the serious storm cell N & E of us. Chose to cut over toward Leonardtown to get home.
My work commute took me up through Brandywine the next day and the battered houses W of Benedict on the 231 were shocking.
Some of the trees that were lopped off have recovered and a discerning eye can spot the point where they have regrown new branches.
Stunning blow to many S. Marylanders.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Wifey and I loaded the kids into the car and headed out to eat, because we had lost power. I remember how ominous the sky looked over that way and feeling a little anxious to get them all home safely.

Last edited:

sunshine98

Drove home to Hollywood (at the time) from Berkeley Springs that day. The sky was purple/black behind us the whole way. By the time we got home, the destruction was on the news. Must have crossed Hughesville right behind us.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
So, I lived in Clay County, FL (neighboring county to Jacksonville) when the tornado hit. I woke up to the news of an F5 tornado hitting... of all places in the world - LaPlata, MD. :yikes: I was certain I heard wrong! But no.

In my early to mid-20's, I dated a guy from LaPlata and lived there. In fact, at one time, I lived on Kent Avenue, and I also used to live behind Sacred Heart in a an old apt building. I still had a lot of ties and friends in that area. Not to mention that the path it took lead it over to Calvert County - where I had a lot of other friends I knew. I was just shocked beyond belief and I felt like a lifetime away. I talked to a couple of the friends I was able to get ahold of that day and miraculously, all the friends I had concerns about were fine. Their houses were fine. BUT - the news down there was simply non-existent after the first couple of "sound bites" every hour or whatever. I went searching on the internet and every day I would search online to find out more news.

That's how I found the SOMD forums. 20 years ago. I was following the news first-hand since I was able to check in and read every day what experiences people were having. I lurked here for a couple of months reading about the Tornado and other stuff in SOMD.

mitzi

I remember the sky looked crazy (where I lived in St Mary's). One side of it was perfectly blue and the other side was just dark, it looked like a perfect line divided it. I thought it's a hell of a storm close by so decided to start dinner in case the power went out. It did and a few hours later went to WaWa to get subs for dinner. Without power I had no clue about the tornado until we heard people talking about it in WaWa. By the time the 11:00 news came on so did our power. So I got to see a little of what they knew. I worked in LaPlata for over 10 years and had to see for myself. I went up there the next day and walked for a couple hours or so. It looked like a bomb went off. One thing that stood out to me, was little Posey's Market was leveled and their little hanging sign by their little parking area was still there.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
@mitzi - one of the friends I talked to that day is a nurse and her husband was in the ChCo Sheriff's Dept. Her voice was cracking (and she is one of the strongest women I know - ER Nurse, etc.) when she said "Bann, it looks like war zone".