2008 NFL Rule Changes

AndyMarquisLIVE

Coin toss switch tops list of NFL rule changes - USATODAY.com

PALM BEACH, Fla. — NFL coaches are going back to school on the coin toss.
League owners adopted the college rule that allows the option to decide whether to kick off or receive the football until the second half after winning the pregame toss.

"It just gives you another option," said Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio.

Under the previous rule, NFL coaches almost always elected to receive the ball after winning the toss. College coaches defer more than 90% of the time.
Del Rio thought the new rule will prompt NFL coaches to defer more than half of the time.

"But if you have Peyton Manning," he said, "you might take the ball and get up seven."

Added Cleveland Browns coach Romeo Crennel: "College coaches defer all the time. I don't think I'd defer a lot because I like my offense; I want them to have the ball as many times as possible."

Owners also adopted the college rule that eliminates the forceout on catches and interceptions.

It simplifies the officiating, with possession and the ability for a player to get two feet inbounds as the sole criteria. Of roughly 33,000 plays last season, just 15 involved calls that applied the forceout rule.

Other measures that passed allowed an offense to decline a defensive penalty on multiple-foul plays when the offense is flagged for delaying the game with a spike, and erased a quirk that didn't allow the defense to recover muffed illegal forward handoffs.

Also, field goals are now allowed for instant replay reviews and the 5-yard facemask penalty was abolished.

Rael

Supper's Ready
I read also that they passed by one vote the addition of defensive communications helmets (1 primary/1 back-up). This article didn't mention that.

I'm surprised that the proposal to eliminate the "forced out" receptions/interceptions was passed. Didn't think that would get necessary support. I'm thinking that will mean a little loss in sensationalism, though the mere 15 calls seems small.

Always interesting times between seasons. :yay:

AndyMarquisLIVE

I read also that they passed by one vote the addition of defensive communications helmets (1 primary/1 back-up). This article didn't mention that.

I'm surprised that the proposal to eliminate the "forced out" receptions/interceptions was passed. Didn't think that would get necessary support. I'm thinking that will mean a little loss in sensationalism, though the mere 15 calls seems small.

Always interesting times between seasons. :yay:
The force-out thing is :bs:, I can't believe that passed.

BuddyLee

Football addict
The force-out thing is :bs:, I can't believe that passed.
With the exception of the defensive helmet communications this was the best rule change.

If you can't catch the ball, control it, and get two tippy toes in bounds then you shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt. It's about damn time the defense gets a ruling in its favor.:yay:

The force-out was always a BS judgement call.