pediatrician molesting children

libby

Delaware Pediatrician Indicted on 400 Criminal Counts - Crime | Murder | Illegal Drugs | Missing Kids | Illegal Aliens - FOXNews.com

Let me begin by saying I am not defending priests or bishops who have committed heinous crimes in any way. No doubt I look more suspiciously at my own priests, as I should. My interest here lies in whether or not doctors as a group, (because the article states that plenty were suspicious of this guy), and the overseeing authorites, and the medical establishment, such as the AMA, will be treated with a fraction of the venom that Catholic priests have been treated.
I realize this was one man as opposed to a widespread abuse, which is why a fraction might be the best I can hope for regarding fair treatment by the press and/or public.
In a nutshell, is it going to be balanced coverage/reporting, or did the Catholic Church get lambasted because it was...the Catholic Church?

aosmiles

well....when there was such a pediatrician doing something similar here in STM-there was coverage about it. Personally, I don't care how famous the person or entity is-if someone has committed a crime such as this-I want to know about it.

poster

"After years of suspicions among parents and questions about his strange behavior from colleagues, Bradley was arrested after a 2-year-old girl told her mother that the doctor hurt her in December when he took her to a basement room after an exam."

I'd be curious to know what were the parent's suspicions and why any parent would continue to take their children to him if they suspected anything. Also what does "questions about his strange behavior" mean? So the parents and his colleagues are talking amoungst themselves and no one raises a flag to an authority of some kind?

I feel for the children (and parents) who have to deal with what this man has done to them. Sick, sick, sick!!

4Father

Delaware Pediatrician Indicted on 400 Criminal Counts - Crime | Murder | Illegal Drugs | Missing Kids | Illegal Aliens - FOXNews.com

Let me begin by saying I am not defending priests or bishops who have committed heinous crimes in any way. No doubt I look more suspiciously at my own priests, as I should. My interest here lies in whether or not doctors as a group, (because the article states that plenty were suspicious of this guy), and the overseeing authorites, and the medical establishment, such as the AMA, will be treated with a fraction of the venom that Catholic priests have been treated.
I realize this was one man as opposed to a widespread abuse, which is why a fraction might be the best I can hope for regarding fair treatment by the press and/or public.
In a nutshell, is it going to be balanced coverage/reporting, or did the Catholic Church get lambasted because it was...the Catholic Church?

This doctor was a monster and he will hopefully get his punishment. To the extent that you want to use this case to make a point about the negative press the church received, it isn't a valid comparison until you can prove that "the overseeing authorities, and the medical establishment, such as the AMA "helped him hide from his accusers, gave him food to eat and place to live, knowingly lied about his crimes and paid for his legal defense.

libby

This doctor was a monster and he will hopefully get his punishment. To the extent that you want to use this case to make a point about the negative press the church received, it isn't a valid comparison until you can prove that "the overseeing authorities, and the medical establishment, such as the AMA "helped him hide from his accusers, gave him food to eat and place to live, knowingly lied about his crimes and paid for his legal defense.

I know it's not exactly apples to apples, I think I said as much in my OP. It's only that so many see the church as a whole as a monster because of some number of priests/bishops. Which, when compared to the good priests/bishops worldwide (even if you allow for those who have never been caught), and the good, charitable and holy men who have devoted their lives to God and us, it's just noteworthy when I see such stories about a doctor, teacher, whatever.
I really feel the church has been treated unfairly, and not separated from the individuals who committed the crimes. But, that's JMO. I suppose if I was a victim of abuse, or my children were, I might feel differently.

This has been on the local Delmarva news for a few months now. It was interesting to see how it progressed, from one or two incidents and just allegations to the case load they now have.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
This has been on the local Delmarva news for a few months now. It was interesting to see how it progressed, from one or two incidents and just allegations to the case load they now have.

That seems to be the case with these sorts of things. I am SURE a big part of it is opportunism..and coached "confessions" from little kids. sad really. I wonder, how in the world did this guy get parents to leave? No way im leaving my 6 month old..or two year old fro that matter with a doc. Im going where the kid's going...no matter what. "basement room" my ass.

poster

That seems to be the case with these sorts of things. I am SURE a big part of it is opportunism..and coached "confessions" from little kids. sad really. I wonder, how in the world did this guy get parents to leave? No way im leaving my 6 month old..or two year old fro that matter with a doc. Im going where the kid's going...no matter what. "basement room" my ass.

I would tend to agree with this but apparently he has recordings of some of the events?!? That's hands down guilt, even if they never know who the children are. And I can't imagine someone using "my child was molested" as an opportunity....wait yes I can that's what they say happened to Michael J. right.

C

CalvertNewbie

:yeahthat: My inlaws are from Delaware and mentioned this to us a while ago. It's just so disgusting that someone so trusted would do this. Doctors, Priests, teachers/coaches......doesn't matter to me what their profession is. They're all a disgrace.

Fact of the matter is that I wouldn't leave my son, who is almost a year old, alone with anyone I don't know on a personal level. Should we be able to trust our pediatrician? Sure. Our priest? Absolutely. But unfortunately, it's not so easy to do that in light of all the abuse we continue to hear about.

T

toppick08

A little trip to Smith Island will do so much good..........and exra bait for the crab pots.....:yay:

4Father

I know it's not exactly apples to apples, I think I said as much in my OP. It's only that so many see the church as a whole as a monster because of some number of priests/bishops. Which, when compared to the good priests/bishops worldwide (even if you allow for those who have never been caught), and the good, charitable and holy men who have devoted their lives to God and us, it's just noteworthy when I see such stories about a doctor, teacher, whatever.
I really feel the church has been treated unfairly, and not separated from the individuals who committed the crimes. But, that's JMO. I suppose if I was a victim of abuse, or my children were, I might feel differently.

We may not agree on whether or not the church was treated fairly, but I think it is a credit to those good people you mention that the church didn't crumble. Not many institutions could have survived such a terrible episode.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
:yeahthat:
You just don't take these things lightly. There are trained professionals who know the right things to ask a child to get to the truth.
It takes a very sick ####ed up individual to do that sort of thing.

UFB.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I wonder, how in the world did this guy get parents to leave? No way im leaving my 6 month old..or two year old fro that matter with a doc. Im going where the kid's going...no matter what. "basement room" my ass.

I was wondering the same thing. I've never been asked to leave the room, and wouldn't if I were asked.

Nucklesack

I heard a quote the other day that the AMA isnt anywhere the inclusive organization that the Press makes it to be.

Especially when they crow that the AMA is behind Obama's Healthcare reform.

Supposedly, have no way to confirm, that the AMA only represents about 12-13% of all US Health Staff (Doctors, Nurses etc.).

4Father

I heard a quote the other day that the AMA isnt anywhere the inclusive organization that the Press makes it to be.

Supposedly, have no way to confirm, that the AMA only represents about 12-13% of all US Health Staff (Doctors, Nurses etc.).

I think you are correct. FYI, you probably already know this but I used the language "the overseeing authorities, and the medical establishment, such as the AMA " because the OP did.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican

American Medical Association is a club made up of doctors who want to belong. More doctors now belong to associations that are made up of doctors of the same specialties. That's why AMA only has about 1 out of 8 doctors today. It's not God, it's not relevant, it's not unbiased.