2019 Calvert Co. Science Fair Winners

For the third year in a row, Isabelle Du Bois of Southern Middle won the Junior Grand Award in the Calvert County Science Fair. Her 2019 project was titled “What’s Your Angle (of Attack) Bernoulli?” Austin Fowler and Danielle Frye of Huntingtown High captured the Senior Grand Award with their project, “Phage Friends.” These three students will advance to compete in the Prince Georges County Regional Fair in mid-March.

Dr. Daniel D. Curry, Superintendent, said, “Congratulations to all who entered. The competition was fierce. Special thanks to our community partners and professional organizations.”

Other top honors went to seven students who won Awards of Excellence and will also advance to the Prince George’s County Regional Fair. They are:
  • Jocelyn Du Bois (Southern Middle) “Where Should I Plant My Garden?”
  • Mollie Chiarizia and Leah Green (Calvert Middle) “Homemade Gum vs. Store Bought Gum”
  • Michaela Bell and Brittney Douglas (Calvert High) “How Does Vigorous Intensity Exercise Affect Short Term Memory in Teenagers?”
  • Amitha Patel and Weston Kerley (Huntingtown High) “Effects of Different Environmental Conditions on Study Effectiveness”
The Science Fair projects were judged on challenge of project, research conducted, scientific approach, collection of data, conclusions, written work, oral interview, exhibit, effort, and significance of project. All projects were judged by three professionals from the STEM community.
In addition to the Grand and Excellence awards, STEM professional organizations presented awards in special categories. These awards are judged independently by the organizations according to their own criteria.

The awards in special categories are:

Calvert County Department of Economic Development
  • Hannah Powell and Gabriela Fortuno (Huntingtown High) “Decomposition of Biodegradable Spoons”
  • Clara Jones (Huntingtown High) “Can you DIY a Well Water Filter Using Activated Carbon?”

College of Southern Maryland Kids and Teens College

• Jack Coleman (Calvert Middle) “Maglev Speedway”
• Isabelle Du Bois (Southern Middle) “What’s Your Angle (of Attack) Bernoulli?”

Mathnasium of Dunkirk

Southern Maryland Resource Conservation and Development Board, Inc.

Middle School
  • 1st Place-Jocelyn Du Bois (Southern Middle) “Where Should I Plant My Garden?”
  • 2nd Place-Makayla Hernandez (Windy Hill Middle) “The Electrolysis of Water”
High School
  • 1st Place-Amitha Patel and Weston Kerley (Huntingtown High) “Effects of Different Environmental Conditions on Study Effectiveness”
  • 2nd Place-Clara Jones (Huntingtown High) “Can you DIY a Well Water Filter Using Activated Carbon?”
The Johns Hopkins University Society of Engineering Alumni
  • 1st Place-Suzanne Fox, Sarah Fox, and Allison Harmon (Huntingtown High) “See Ya Laser”
  • 2nd Place-Madison Liebel and Rebecca Ulmschneider (Huntingtown High) “Muon Variation”
  • 3rd Place-Caleb Childress (Southern Middle School) “Buoyancy of Objects in a Water Vortex”
The Patuxent Partnership
Aeronautics/Aerospace

Middle School
  • Isabelle Du Bois (Southern Middle School) “What’s Your Angle (of Attack) Bernoulli?”
High School
  • Madison Liebel and Rebecca Ulmschneider (Huntingtown High) “Muon Variation”
Electrical/Electronics

Middle School
  • Makayla Hernandez (Windy Hill Middle) “The Electrolysis of Water”
High School
  • Suzanne Fox, Sarah Fox, and Allison Harmon (Huntingtown High) “See Ya Laser”
Environmental/Biological

Middle School
  • Jocelyn Du Bois (Southern Middle School) “Where Should I Plant My Garden?”
High School
  • Austin Fowler and Danielle Frye (Huntingtown High) “Phage Friends”
Unmanned Systems, Chief Engineer Award

Middle School
High School
  • Mackenzie Wheelock, Brenna McLaren, and Lucy Weisburgh (Northern High) “Computer Science and Robotics How Do They Work Together?”
135503 135504