2019 Hummingbird Tread

NextJen

Raisin cane
Has anyone seen any yet?
Have you put out your feeders?

I think I'll get mine put out this weekend in case there are any early birds migrating through headed further north.

Grumpy

Has anyone seen any yet?
Have you put out your feeders?

I think I'll get mine put out this weekend in case there are any early birds migrating through headed further north.
None yet, but I'm betting we will see some Sunday.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
There have already been sightings into the Philly area. This page has a map where you can see the reported sightings. The one at hummingbirds.net is no more. :frown:

glhs837

Power with Control
Might swing down the Ridge Hardware, they showed some really nice new feeders on their FB page.

Just put mine up.

FWIW, I had two up last year, one with bee guards and one without. The hummers would not use the one with guards. Once I took them off, the hummers started using it. I'm not using bee guards this year. The feeders I have are pretty bee-resistant and ant anyway.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I took mine apart and filled the 2 sections. I then promptly forgot how to put them back together. SO I have one hanging. :ohwell:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Just put mine up.

FWIW, I had two up last year, one with bee guards and one without. The hummers would not use the one with guards. Once I took them off, the hummers started using it. I'm not using bee guards this year. The feeders I have are pretty bee-resistant and ant anyway.
Never done the bee guards, when I notice bees I take a 16 ounce plastic bottle and do a 50/50 mixture of sugar and water, about half full. The bees go in and when I get enough I put the lid on, shake it and then remove the lid to catch more. They get coated with sugar and eventually drown. Two years ago I filled about 15 to 20 bottles, last year no bee problem.

Never done the bee guards, when I notice bees I take a 16 ounce plastic bottle and do a 50/50 mixture of sugar and water, about half full. The bees go in and when I get enough I put the lid on, shake it and then remove the lid to catch more. They get coated with sugar and eventually drown. Two years ago I filled about 15 to 20 bottles, last year no bee problem.
Ah. So you're the reason for the honey bee hive collapse.....

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Saw one this morning and the leaves are just starting to pop up here in the hollow.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Yes! Tons of bees! I feel like we are really getting to experience a nice Spring this year - not just jumping straight from Winter to Summer.
I hope so! I met a friend up at National Harbor today for lunch and it was such a nice day. A bit on the muggy side. I'm now waiting for the storms to roll in.