2019 Hummingbird Tread

frequentflier

happy to be living
My porch is ordinarily full of potted annuals that attract the hummingbirds. I was late getting them this year so I bought a feeder and mix; not knowing if the hummers would show. We got a hit right away and in fact, one dive bombed me when I was putting the annuals out (along with more potted perennials) a couple of days ago.
I could sit and watch my porch all day with birds, squirrels, hummers and flutterbys!

luvmygdaughters

My porch is ordinarily full of potted annuals that attract the hummingbirds. I was late getting them this year so I bought a feeder and mix; not knowing if the hummers would show. We got a hit right away and in fact, one dive bombed me when I was putting the annuals out (along with more potted perennials) a couple of days ago.
I could sit and watch my porch all day with birds, squirrels, hummers and flutterbys!
I'm with you! My husband feeds the squirrels unsalted nuts, the birds get seed, well, the blue jays get peanuts along with the squirrel. We have named two mockingbirds that seem to love to hang in our back yard and go through their whole musical repertoire! Really, I cant be sure its the same two birds, but, pleasant to listen too.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Just hung the second feeder off the front porch, starting to get pretty active. I've got 6 that I can recognize. I usually end up with a couple dozen.

Out back I have 4 rabbits, 6 deer, 5 turkeys, more squirrels and doves than I can count, blue jays, cardinals, robins, orioles, a mess of chipmunks, and several red-headed wood peckers.

jaksprat

Any tips on ant traps? My feeder is full of ants.
I wipe some motor oil on the arm of the metal bracket that holds the feeder. The ants won't touch it. The oil lasts a long time (over a month) since my feeder is under an eave. I'm not sure how long it'll last otherwise. Also I'm not sure what other type oils will work.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Do you have hummingbirds that look like this?

7719595_orig.png

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
The chilly, rainy days really bring them out. They need lots of food to have the energy to keep themselves warm. If you've been feeding them, make sure those feeders are full right now, they need it.