2020 Democrats join striking McDonald's workers

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee (D) and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio(D) joined striking employees around the country, while Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who had to remain in Washington, D.C., to vote for a disaster relief bill, addressed the striking workers via a live town hall and pledged to sign legislation as president to raise the minimum wage and strengthen worker protections.

“Today, we live in the wealthiest country in the history of the world. But tens of millions of workers don't know that, because they're working longer hours for low wages,” Sanders said during the town hall. “Does anybody think that that is moral, or that is right?”

Castro, meanwhile, joined striking workers in Durham, N.C., Wednesday. "We’re here today to tell McDonald’s that it’s not acceptable to pay your workers a wage you can’t live on,” Castro said, according to ABC. Both Castro's and Sanders’s campaigns are unionized.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/445298-2020-democrats-join-striking-mcdonalds-workers

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It doesn't pay to be successful in this country. Wendy's Burger King, etc - all have the same minimum wage model. All sell unhealthy food. All have extra large offerings. But who does the Left always go after? McDonald's.

Just like they always go after Mark Zuckerberg, yet freaking Jack Dorsey needs to have his fascist ass smacked for him.

I have to think it's because these companies don't grease the palms the way the others do. Remember Jesse Jackson going around shaking corps down? "Give me money or I'll call you racist in the media and destroy you." This has to be something similar because there's no other explanation as to why these particular companies would be singled out.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
This has to be something similar because there's no other explanation as to why these particular companies would be singled out.
Gang up on and kill the biggest one first and then the smaller players will curl up and submit.

Think about your Leftist fan club around here.

Smokey1

Why do some think that every job should compensate enough to support a family? Some jobs are just for making extra money or for people just getting into the job market i.e. teens. If you have to work at McDonalds to support a family there is something wrong with your basic job skills.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Why do some think that every job should compensate enough to support a family? Some jobs are just for making extra money or for people just getting into the job market i.e. teens. If you have to work at McDonalds to support a family there is something wrong with your basic job skills.

It's only leftists that dont get that.

Hijinx

When was the last time you saw so many people who are trying to rally themselves out of a job?
Already right here in Leonardtown we have a kiosk that is there to put a cashier out of a job.
There will be other robotics coming. Robotics do not go on strike, they don't hand supervisors any sh*t and they are cheaper than hiring humans.

Walmart is getting 1,000 robots to replace workers. Amazon has cars deliver packages now without drivers..
Soon that will come to the trucking industry. Go ahead folks keep bitching. Digging your own grave.

SamSpade

Soon that will come to the trucking industry. Go ahead folks keep bitching. Digging your own grave.

The left has this idea - which I have seen and heard and read myself - that employers exist MOSTLY to provide
jobs to those who need them. Yeah, selling a product or service, yeah that's part of it, but mostly their purpose, their
reason for being is to be a part of society that provides jobs.

And it doesn't. It's a fortunate consequence of society that if someone is brave enough to create a business,
in order to make a profit, they hire employees and pay them enough so that someone will take the job, but
low enough that they can actually make a profit for what they charge. And that's it. The proof is simple enough -
when they can no longer make a profit - they go out of business.

Running a register isn't a skill that warrants huge pay unless you decide to sell a 12 dollar fast food burger - and you'll still
go out of business, because no one wants to pay that.

Here's the other thing, and it is a mistake that people arguing this make CONSTANTLY - and that is that the population
that makes low wages is fluid. If a million people make minimum wage today, in a few years, a DIFFERENT million is
making it. It's kind of like making an argument about education with the assumption that it's the same kids decade
after decade - when in fact, they grow up and are replaced by different kids. People making low wages - MOST of them
move on to different jobs. Only a very small fraction remain in them for years.

Complaining about entry-level jobs meriting a minimum wage not being a "living wage" is akin to complaining that
starting salary at a company is way below that of its president or CEO. Of course it is - that's why it's entry level.