2020 Junior World Bull Riding champion from PG County

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Jackson is a fifth-generation cowboy living in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. His granddad, great-granddad, and great-great granddad were all cowboys, passing down the family legacy of rural living and horse training in Maryland.

They're making a big deal out of him being black, but if you step outside your cubby and into America black cowboys aren't that unusual. I'm more excited that he's from PGC, where cowboying is quite unusual. The story addresses that:

“Their faces are kind of surprised because they ask where I’m from and we say, 'Maryland'. They didn't know that there are cowboys here,” said Nic.

“As they announce him, they'll say, ‘Nicholas Jackson … from Maryland?’ And they'll normally make a funny comment, like, ‘Are there any cowboys in Maryland?,’" said Corey.

The Jackson family has put Maryland on the map for bull riding. Nic’s younger brother Dylan also rides.

“It's the obvious thing that he is Black,” said Corey. “But the thing about that is, if you go to Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, California, there are tons of young Black rodeo competitors. But what we don't see is a lot of us on those bigger stages.”

Congratulations Nicholas!

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
This is Bill Pickett (1870 - 1932) the rodeo performer who invented bulldogging as an event for the shows.
First learned about him when I was a kid. My dad loved Western novels and would read up on the history of the American West.