2021 Hummingbird Thread

NextJen

Raisin cane
Anybody seen one yet? I've got my feeder out. Normally see the first one about the second to third week of April.

DaSDGuy

Had a Ruby-throated male land on my feeder while I was pulling pollen out of the water trap on Sunday. He sat 2 inches away from my hand and enjoyed the free meal. He flew to another feeder when I finally had to take a breath. A female stopped by on Tuesday and she tried out all three feeders until she found the one she liked the most.

1stGenSMIB

We saw zero hummingbirds in Solomons around our house last year. We did see one flying around today, so we got out the feeders and have tried them in a different location.
Don't forget to only use 4:1 water to sugar and no red food coloring either. Any other ingredients, like honey, while well intentioned, apparently are not good for them.

OldHillcrestGuy

Saw my first one on Wednesday, only put it out the day before. Didn't see as many hummers in Charlotte Hall last year like in years past.

DaSDGuy

One Male and three Females are here on a daily basis now. That's all I can count because the male tends to chase the ladies.

frequentflier

happy to be living
We saw zero hummingbirds in Solomons around our house last year. We did see one flying around today, so we got out the feeders and have tried them in a different location.
Don't forget to only use 4:1 water to sugar and no red food coloring either. Any other ingredients, like honey, while well intentioned, apparently are not good for them.
Also the feeders need to be emptied and cleaned every couple of days.