Animals confined to Zoo's

ImnoMensa

A big stir is now making the news about the Killer whale and it's not being allowed to return to the sea.

Many people have come out in force opposing keeping animals in Zoo's and in fact ,The National Zoo in Washington is so bereft of animals that it can hardly be called a Zoo any longer. It isnt worth the ride up there to see.

I wonder if these people complaining about animals kept in Zoo's have pets of their own and why they would not consider these animals as being as deprived of living in the wild.

I realise many of them allow their pets to roam freely, cats walking on other people's cars and killing wildlife, and dogs crapping in other people's yards, and running their neighbor in the house for fear of being attacked. While they blissfully ignore the fact that their animals are actually being held in captivity the same as the Killer whale.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
A big stir is now making the news about the Killer whale and it's not being allowed to return to the sea.

Many people have come out in force opposing keeping animals in Zoo's and in fact ,The National Zoo in Washington is so bereft of animals that it can hardly be called a Zoo any longer. It isnt worth the ride up there to see.

I wonder if these people complaining about animals kept in Zoo's have pets of their own and why they would not consider these animals as being as deprived of living in the wild.

I realise many of them allow their pets to roam freely, cats walking on other people's cars and killing wildlife, and dogs crapping in other people's yards, and running their neighbor in the house for fear of being attacked. While they blissfully ignore the fact that their animals are actually being held in captivity the same as the Killer whale.

Some can do ok in captivity and some just shouldn't be in captivity. In the case of whales/porpoise it's hard to mimic the ocean with all it's nutrients, and then they have sonar, I wonder what it's like to hear it bounce around the walls of a tank. With technology we can watch specials on the black footed banded ring nose marmoset, so what do we need zoos for?

I'm teaching my child now that we don't need all kinds of animals in cages and that seeing them in their natural surrounding is better. As far as dogs and cats go, there are some that ruin it, we have rescue groups and shelters because sadly it has gotten out of hand.

Cowgirl

I don't think it's exactly apples to apples. You can't really compare wild animals to domesticated animals.

T

toppick08

I don't think it's exactly apples to apples. You can't really compare wild animals to domesticated animals.

Donkeys, Mules, and billy goats will send one to the emergency room...:lol:

TurboK9

Many people have come out in force opposing keeping animals in Zoo's and in fact ,The National Zoo in Washington is so bereft of animals that it can hardly be called a Zoo any longer. It isnt worth the ride up there to see

Really? We went over the summer. Had a good time. They have several big cats, the classics like elephants and zebrahs and such, bears, wolves, the otters are a gas, they have seals... the overhead orangutangs are awesome....

Granted the place isn't huge, but what they have is definitely worth spending a few hours to gawk at.

muttdog

Correct me if I am wrong, but I beleve that the whale the free willy was based on only lived 1-2 years in the ocean, before it died. So if you release all the animals that are in captivity, how many of them will die in the wild?

Nucklesack

Really? We went over the summer. Had a good time. They have several big cats, the classics like elephants and zebrahs and such, bears, wolves, the otters are a gas, they have seals... the overhead orangutangs are awesome....

Granted the place isn't huge, but what they have is definitely worth spending a few hours to gawk at.

Dont confuse him with facts

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I love animals, all of them, and as hypocritical as it is, I really enjoy the zoo. That being said, it always makes me so sad to see the big cats caged up, and I refuse to go near the monkey house. I went in one time because I friend wanted to see them...and it was pretty much the saddest most pathetic thing you will ever see. They just sit and stare..bored and depressed. It made me sick to my stomach, and I refuse to go back. Now there are some animals that are fine in captivity, and sometimes animals in zoos were orphaned or injured and couldn't be released, and that is appropriate. It would be idiotic to release zoo animals, they couldn't survive. But I think they should be restricted to injured/orphaned animals and not breed unless it is some sort of conservation effort. I think most of the time this is the case anyway, not real sure. But As much as I love to go see the animals, it saddens me.

ImnoMensa

You dont remember it the way it was, when it was filled with every kind of beast on the planet.

ImnoMensa

Not based on my opinion. Take a ride up there some time. Pay the $15.00 parking fee and walk around the park and look at the empty cages and ask where the bears went. Ask to see a polar bear. Take a look for a Buffalo, you will find more at Somerseat than at the Zoo. look for the Wolves, the Panthers, the White Tigers that used to be there. Please: Don't take my word for it. Go prove it to yourself by all means.

Even the Guards there call it a Park now and not a Zoo.