Raisin cane
PREMO Member
Ruby throated hummingbirds.
Male on left - female on right
ruby throated hummingbirds male-female.jpg

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
How many is a serving? They're awfully small.
I make 4 cups at a time. I only put out a cup until I know they are back. Then I fill it half way because I haven't had enough for them to finish it and I toss it.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I feel bad for mine since I will be moving out toward the end of May. Maybe I could leave a hummingbird feeder as a house warming present for the new folks.
I'm kind of in the same boat. I expect to be gone for a while again, and I'd hate for them to discover my feeder and get used to it, only to find it empty when they really need it.

Grumpy

I make 4 cups at a time. I only put out a cup until I know they are back. Then I fill it half way because I haven't had enough for them to finish it and I toss it.
When prime hits, we go through 5-10 lbs of sugar a week..typically 2 to 3 dozen zoomers.
I'm kind of in the same boat. I expect to be gone for a while again, and I'd hate for them to discover my feeder and get used to it, only to find it empty when they really need it.
They let us know when the feeders are low, if I or wife is in the kitchen, they hover at the window and stare at me until someone pulls the sugar water out of the fridge.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
When prime hits, we go through 5-10 lbs of sugar a week..typically 2 to 3 dozen zoomers.

They let us know when the feeders are low, if I or wife is in the kitchen, they hover at the window and stare at me until someone pulls the sugar water out of the fridge.
You guys get a bunch, I've seen the videos.

Loper

Animal Poor!
I always have families of them. Built a new birdhouse for them this spring.
I put up a bluebird house for the first time in Feb. Just had 5 eggs hatch yesterday. I have my hummingbird feeders out front so I haven't seen any yet. I normally put them out back but right now that spot is holding the mealworm feeder.

beachcat

I need a nap
I've had a lot of blue birds.
i saw another one today (or same?). teleworking, so i bought some mealworm. since telework, im a huge bird person now. I was even getting a hawk, so i put out turkey hotdogs. she loved it. but I was scolded by a bird conservationist in nb not to feed them that.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
i saw another one today (or same?). teleworking, so i bought some mealworm. since telework, im a huge bird person now. I was even getting a hawk, so i put out turkey hotdogs. she loved it. but I was scolded by a bird conservationist in nb not to feed them that.
I've seen a couple of hawks in my area. Also had a couple of eagle swoop through my front yard a week or so ago.