2022 Hummingbird Thread

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
He was dive bombing me while I was planting herbs, so put my feeder up this afternoon. I've only seen one small male, and he's almost emptied the feeder.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Haven't seen hummers all summer, but have seen a couple in the past week. Just put out 3 feeders for their migration.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
We only have herons show up in the pond out back. Every once in a while, I see them snag a fish.

DSCF0264sized.png

NextJen

Raisin cane
Don’t take your feeders down too early. They are doing their Fall migration now and need the food and energy. You may have some on their journey South that will need the nectar you put out.

From the web:
Keep feeding them as long as they keep coming to your feeder. Adult male hummingbirds usually leave in summer, months before the females and young. Keep your hummingbird feeders up until there are no more hummingbirds. Take your hummingbird feeders down for the winter two weeks after you see the last hummingbird.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Don’t take your feeders down too early. They are doing their Fall migration now and need the food and energy. You may have some on their journey South that will need the nectar you put out.

From the web:
Keep feeding them as long as they keep coming to your feeder. Adult male hummingbirds usually leave in summer, months before the females and young. Keep your hummingbird feeders up until there are no more hummingbirds. Take your hummingbird feeders down for the winter two weeks after you see the last hummingbird.
I've already noticed a drop in feeding but continue to keep them up. I didn't know the males left sooner. Thanks!

NextJen

Raisin cane
I've already noticed a drop in feeding but continue to keep them up. I didn't know the males left sooner. Thanks!
I didn’t know that about the males either. I’m sitting out now watching two females try to drink from my feeder while dive bombing each other. I have also noticed less feeding.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I didn’t know that about the males either. I’m sitting out now watching two females try to drink from my feeder while dive bombing each other. I have also noticed less feeding.
I haven't been home much and ran out of nectar for a day or two lat week, so I thought that was it at first.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I didn't have the feeders out all summer, just put them out about 2 weeks ago when I started seeing activity. They were feeding nearby on trumpet vines. I've seen an increase in the past week, guess it's the pre-migration feeding. Just putting out a fresh batch of nectar now.

phreddyp

I have two feeders out both are drained within 3 days. I've been feeding them for about 35 years and have never seen these many birds at one time!

NextJen

Raisin cane
Still seeing them in Port Tobacco. Probably won’t be much longer before they head south.
Also still seeing a few osprey. They’ll be getting out of here soon too.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
No hummers on Canoe Neck :frown: , but the local outlaw goose flock decided to join me shortly before I called it quits tonight. Forty more perch filets for the deep freeze and a Hallmark™ worthy evening.