Runaway Prius?

Pete

Repete
I smell fish.

FOXNews.com - Officer Helps Save Driver in Runaway Prius

You are rocketing along the freeway in your 1.8L ping ping machine humming away and you can't stop? Come on, so maybe he pussed out and didn't clamp on the brakes hard enough and ended up overheating them to the point they didn't work well but this guy has enough time and mental wherewithal to grab his cell and dial 911 and plead for help, but it doesn't dawn on him "Hey maybe I could just turn off the key!"

I smell someone who is trying to get a lifetime supply of free cars.

After the car decelerated to about 50 mph, Sikes turned off the engine and coasted to a halt.

He couldn't turn it off before that? Only after a cop told him to use an emergency brake?

Prius driver James Sikes said that the incident Monday occurred just two weeks after he had taken the vehicle in to an El Cajon dealership for repairs after receiving a recall notice, but he was turned away.

"I gave them my recall notice and they handed it back and said I'm not on the recall list," Sikes said.

I'm thinking he was ticked and looking for satisfaction regardless of how he got it.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
He couldn't turn it off before that? Only after a cop told him to use an emergency brake?

I'm thinking he was ticked and looking for satisfaction regardless of how he got it.

I'll take "Vindictive Moron" for $500 Alex.

glhs837

Power with Control
The CHP stated they didnt know why he refused to turn off the engine until he had slowed below 50mph, but suspect he was afraid of loosing his power steering.

Just a tip folks, and yes, there are a few cars with totally electric steering, but no Toyotas, I think, so we will confine this to cars with power assited steering.

Yes, you lose the power assist, but not the steering. Again, with emphasis. You lose ONLY THE POWER ASSIST, YOU CAN STILL STEER THE DAMN CAR!!!!!!!

It will increase the effort, but if you can reasonably expect to beat a seven year old in arm wrestling, you can do this. The press say this lose power steering thing like the wheels stops working at all. Same for brakes, if you have power assist brakes, THEY STILL WORK WITH THE ENGINE TURNED OFF!!!!!!!

Pete

Repete

Yep, he was mad the dealer said his Prius was not included in the recall he figured he deserved so he said "Hold my Chardonnay and watch this then a-holes".

I bet other than cooked brake pads they find nothing wrong with his car. Maybe not but my spidey sense tells me he already has a chart made up to graph the settlement offers.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I smell fish.

You are rocketing along the freeway in your 1.8L ping ping machine humming away and you can't stop? Come on, so maybe he pussed out and didn't clamp on the brakes hard enough and ended up overheating them to the point they didn't work well but this guy has enough time and mental wherewithal to grab his cell and dial 911 and plead for help, but it doesn't dawn on him "Hey maybe I could just turn off the key!"

No key in the Prius.. but it does have NEUTRAL!!!

jrt_ms1995

No key in the Prius.. but it does have NEUTRAL!!!

AND it has a "B" position just back from "D"rive in the transmission pattern, which uses the electric motors to slow down the car; intended for down grades so the brakes aren't overheated.

Just more made up BS like with Audi in the '80s and exploding GM fuel tanks in the '90s. Pay the money and take a medium-sized PR hit, or tell the idiots they're idiots, have idiots on juries bleed you for a greater amount of money, and take a bigger PR hit.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I smell fish.

Or works for the UAW

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Button? Lever? What does it use for a power plant activation device?

It has a button, but you just can't push the button and it stops..

Something weird like push and hold for several seconds if you're moving and/or in gear.

SO you push hold it for a couple of seconds it doesn't work, you go on to not think of something else.