BOHICA MDers Five-Cent Bag Tax

Lonely_Tourist

Five-Cent Bag Tax Would Go Towards Cleaning Bay

Not against cleaning up the Bay myself but here comes that T word again from Annapolis, this on top of the soon to be added 10-cent per alchohol drink tax. I wonder what their little creative minds can come up with next.

Five-Cent Bag Tax Would Go Towards Cleaning Bay - Southern Maryland Headline News

They implemented this in DC earlier this year and I have noticed a lot more people have reusable grocery bags than before. I always forget, but it's only 5 cents per bag. If you remember your reusable bags it won't affect you at all.

Highlander

ONE NATION UNDER GOD
They implemented this in DC earlier this year and I have noticed a lot more people have reusable grocery bags than before. I always forget, but it's only 5 cents per bag. If you remember your reusable bags it won't affect you at all.

It's not that expensive but it's just gotta stop. What the he11 will they come up with next? It's nothing more than a creative way to steal my money to support all those who think they are entitled to what I've earned. It's my 5 cents, dammit! Cut out every unneccesary social program like welfare. That's where we need to make a change.

Lonely_Tourist

It's not that expensive but it's just gotta stop. What the he11 will they come up with next? It's nothing more than a creative way to steal my money to support all those who think they are entitled to what I've earned. It's my 5 cents, dammit! Cut out every unneccesary social program like welfare. That's where we need to make a change.

Except that you have the option of bringing your own bags so you won't have to pay the tax.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Except that you have the option of bringing your own bags so you won't have to pay the tax.

And all the merchants have to change the software for their cash register/terminal whatever you call it to be able to charge the 5 cents, or offer a credit if the customer brings their own bag or charge them to buy a re-useable bag. :jameo:

FTA: Five-Cent Bag Tax Would Go Towards Cleaning Bay - Southern Maryland Headline News
The Chesapeake Bay Restoration Consumer Retail Choice Act would require Maryland businesses to tack the 5-cent fee onto each disposable bag used by a customer.

Businesses stand to receive a penny per bag sold, unless they offer a 5-cent credit to customers who provide reusable bags when checking out. Businesses offering the credit would receive 2 cents for every bag sold.
:jameo: Chaos. Inconvenience. Time & money for businesses.

Highlander

ONE NATION UNDER GOD

It's just a stupid plastic bag that the store provides to carry your stuff home. Why should the government be involved in this? As I said, what's next? Will they charge you a tax to use the shopping carts? Maybe a tax to use the parking space outside the store??? It's not fair for the goverment to charge us because the stores provide cheap bags to carry our crap out. I wish I could find somewhere to go where I only paid taxes for what made sense. There are so many things I am forced to pay for that I am against. It's my money. I should be able to keep it, plain and simple.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Never heard of a BYOB place? Or bringing a bottle of wine to a restaurant?
BYOB applies to local church dances, fund raisers etc. and no I do not know of any restaurants that allow you to bring in your own wine. Please steer me to one.

Lonely_Tourist

And all the merchants have to change the software for their cash register/terminal whatever you call it to be able to charge the 5 cents, or offer a credit if the cwustomer brings their own bag or charge them to buy a re-useable bag. :jameo:

FTA: Five-Cent Bag Tax Would Go Towards Cleaning Bay - Southern Maryland Headline News

:jameo: Chaos. Inconvenience. Time & money for businesses.

It's been going on in DC for months without chaos. Stores add items to their systems all the time, and they can actually save money because they have to buy fewer plastic bags.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
It's been going on in DC for months without chaos. Stores add items to their systems all the time, and they can actually save money because they have to buy fewer plastic bags.

:yay: Sure, no problem. Just change and add a few more items. Just add more reporting requirements to the business for money they have to pay to some agency. NO BIG DEAL. :shrug:

More money on the consumer IF they don't use a "reusable" bag.

More requirements, more accountability on businesses to the gubmint.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
It's just a stupid plastic bag that the store provides to carry your stuff home. Why should the government be involved in this? As I said, what's next? Will they charge you a tax to use the shopping carts? Maybe a tax to use the parking space outside the store??? It's not fair for the goverment to charge us because the stores provide cheap bags to carry our crap out. I wish I could find somewhere to go where I only paid taxes for what made sense. There are so many things I am forced to pay for that I am against. It's my money. I should be able to keep it, plain and simple.
Excellent points!! Who would have thought our govt. would tax SHOPPING BAGS!?!?!?!?!?! :faint: