Petco

B

Bean

Almost all of the birds for sale in the California Maryland store are sick. many have lost their tail feathers and most are sitting on the bottom of their enclosures.

Manger has specials on the sickest of the birds. It's so bad, that several customers were gawking at the birds and talking about their condition.

I have owned parrots for much of my adult life and I have never seen anything like this. It is so bad, I beleive it is a public health hazard! Immediate action needs to be taken.

I have contacted the corporate office.

rpexie

.:Georgia Peach:.
Good! Hope something is done about it. I went to buy my sister some Hermit Crabs once and over half of them were rotten, you picked up the shell and they just fell out.

=( sad times. Glad you complained.

bookrat

Almost all of the birds for sale in the California Maryland store are sick. many have lost their tail feathers and most are sitting on the bottom of their enclosures.

Manger has specials on the sickest of the birds. It's so bad, that several customers were gawking at the birds and talking about their condition.

I have owned parrots for much of my adult life and I have never seen anything like this. It is so bad, I beleive it is a public health hazard! Immediate action needs to be taken.

report to health department and state Dept of Ag...they issue the permits to have and sell animals/birds. etc. I feel sorry for the turtles :-(

glitch

Devil's Advocate
You guys think Petco is bad? Try hitting up that pet store on the square in Leonardtown. I went in there once, made me sick. They had set pinkies out on a windowsill to die and there were two huge turtles (and I'm talking the size of large dogs) roaming around in a box that's smaller than the kennel I keep my dog in. Disgusting.

T

toppick08

You guys think Petco is bad? Try hitting up that pet store on the square in Leonardtown. I went in there once, made me sick. They had set pinkies out on a windowsill to die and there were two huge turtles (and I'm talking the size of large dogs) roaming around in a box that's smaller than the kennel I keep my dog in. Disgusting.

Just like Bailey's.....:coffee:

jetmonkey

I was in there tonight and all the birds looked great.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

I have owned parrots for much of my adult life and I have never seen anything like this. It is so bad, I believe it is a public health hazard! Immediate action needs to be taken.

I truly hope you can back that statement up after posting this. There are 2 ways this can go IMO:

A hero who helps bring to light a problem with Petco and the care of the birds or?

A person sued for slander by Petco for something you cannot prove?

Get Video!!! Unless you're a veterinarian your opinion doesn't matter!

Just saying!!! :coffee:

SoccerMom2

We bough a bird there about a month ago. It died last night. It was going crazy all day. He was tearing up his cage and knocking things down. Went to petco and got him a new feeder and some treats came home and he was dead. We were thinking bout replacing him so the kids don't find out he was dead. I am glad we didn't after reading this thread. Looks like we are having a funeral today. R.I.P Ozzy!

Cheshire_Cat

Tattoo ADDICT!

Did you bother to ask the manager of the store what was going on with the birds before your contacted the corporate office? I am in there frequently and also have owned many birds in my lifetime. I know there are birds being hand fed in the store and as a bird owner you are surely aware that baby birds need to learn the ability to perch, and not all babies are immediate cage climbers/perchers, so sitting on the bottom of the cage is not always necessarily cause for concern. Birds also molt. So as a bird owner you know that birds are not exactly looking their best at that time, and that some birds don't go through that molting period as well as others. I have had birds that are very uncomfortable during a molt and will bite feathers off until the new ones have come in. After reading your post the first time, I had a lengthy conversation with a manager at the store, who was more than happy to explain the situation of each bird to me. The birds are not reduced due to any sort of illness. I can only hope that you personally have gotten all the facts, as I did, before you begin your crusade to tarnish the reputation of ANY pet store.

Just my 2 cents

jrsgirl2007

The pinkies were frozen and were thawing out on the window sill before being fed to the snakes (which would kill them if they had remained frozen). The turtles have very large accomodations for spring/summer/fall, but must be kept inside during the winter months. Get your facts straight before posting.

KVF323

that place always smells a bit funny, but its got quite a variety of animals in it, but all their animals seem to be happy and healthy. As far as the turtles go, its not like they plan on keeping them forever right? just till someone buys them. and its not as small as u make it sound. I like that little pet place

kelb

art imitating life
The pinkies were frozen and were thawing out on the window sill before being fed to the snakes (which would kill them if they had remained frozen). The turtles have very large accomodations for spring/summer/fall, but must be kept inside during the winter months. Get your facts straight before posting.

1 post? You work there?

frequentflier

happy to be living
Did you bother to ask the manager of the store what was going on with the birds before your contacted the corporate office? I am in there frequently and also have owned many birds in my lifetime. I know there are birds being hand fed in the store and as a bird owner you are surely aware that baby birds need to learn the ability to perch, and not all babies are immediate cage climbers/perchers, so sitting on the bottom of the cage is not always necessarily cause for concern. Birds also molt. So as a bird owner you know that birds are not exactly looking their best at that time, and that some birds don't go through that molting period as well as others. I have had birds that are very uncomfortable during a molt and will bite feathers off until the new ones have come in. After reading your post the first time, I had a lengthy conversation with a manager at the store, who was more than happy to explain the situation of each bird to me. The birds are not reduced due to any sort of illness. I can only hope that you personally have gotten all the facts, as I did, before you begin your crusade to tarnish the reputation of ANY pet store.

Just my 2 cents

:yeahthat:

Cheshire_Cat

Tattoo ADDICT!
You've never been to Lori-Bee then.

I'm glad you contacted corporate. It's a shame to have these birds in the care of people who know nothing about caring for them. They should allow volunteers to come in and care for/socialize them.

How do you know that they know nothing about caring for them? Have you ever, or do you now work there? Or for any pet store for that matter? Just wondering how you know what type of training people get, or experience they already have when it comes to working with and handling pets.

kelb

art imitating life
How do you know that they know nothing about caring for them? Have you ever, or do you now work there? Or for any pet store for that matter? Just wondering how you know what type of training people get, or experience they already have when it comes to working with and handling pets.

Not that this is what you asked really.. but I went to petco to get stuff for my dogs itchy skin and the guy could not point out a single item. I got annoyed and went looking for myself and found a few things...Do you think that he went through training?

mAlice

professional daydreamer

You're right. I don't know. Maybe they get intense training on birds, and they just blow off their responsibilities.

I know a little bit about birds, and I rarely see healthy birds in pet stores, and it's usually due to social neglect.