Retired Gunney Sgt Ermey

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
I've always liked this guy. Somehow, I don't think the skeletons in his closet would bother me too much -- I think it has something to do with the fact that he openly admits that they're there instead of pretending that he's lily-white. Ask him a question, you get an honest answer. You may not like the answer you get, but it's an honest one. THAT's what we need in Washington, not the crap that we have now.

Lan

The man speaks common sense, nothing special in general, but something that the majority of Washington seems to lack or ignore.

Reading his stance on "Dont ask, don't tell" surprised me, I was expecting a response not as thoughtful.

He has respect from me for his pragmatism.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I've always liked this guy. Somehow, I don't think the skeletons in his closet would bother me too much -- I think it has something to do with the fact that he openly admits that they're there instead of pretending that he's lily-white. Ask him a question, you get an honest answer. You may not like the answer you get, but it's an honest one. THAT's what we need in Washington, not the crap that we have now.

R. Lee in 2012! R. Lee in 2012!

3M3tib

He has a base level of enthusiasm that's off the charts. He'd open his show with something like, "Today, we're going to talk about MACHINE GUNS" and you could tell how glad he was to be there and do that. He's as genuine as the day is long and a true American treasure.

Toxick

Splat
I like what he has to say on this and other subjects.

"Q. The Marine Corps recently passed more stringent tattoo regulations. Any thoughts?

A. I think it’s ridiculous, totally ridiculous — borderline silly.
I challenge anybody who is making these decisions to prove to me that a Marine, because he has tattoos, is unable to fight."
Ermey speaks his mind on Corps issues - Military News, News From Iraq & Afghanistan - Military Times

But suppose they get a tattoo that is racially insensitive, or endorses a particular religion in some way. Suppose they get a tattoo that exploits women (it's all too common to have nude women tattooed on male persons), or promotes violence and/or drug use.

Honestly - is this the kind of message we want to be sending?

If we let Marines get tattoos, then the terrorists have already won.

CrashTest

If Ermey is arguing on the basis that tatoos don't affect someone's ability to fight, then he would also have to argue about all the other personal appearance policies that don't affect someone's ability to fight. Shaving everyday, etc.

Wildcat97

"I think everybody in this country should have equal rights, but I don’t think we should infringe on someone else’s to give another person more."

Couldn't agree more...

TurboK9

If Ermey is arguing on the basis that tatoos don't affect someone's ability to fight, then he would also have to argue about all the other personal appearance policies that don't affect someone's ability to fight. Shaving everyday, etc.

Bullcrap. Shaving is a hygiene issue, and can have serious health implications in the field and in combat, as well as keeping hair close cropped. If the medic doesn't have to worry about shaving a wound or you getting hair in it, if you don't have a raggedy assed mop of hair collecting ticks and other parasites...

Tell me how a tattoo even comes close. I can understand limiting placement (not on the face, etc) but beyond the obvious... I mean heck, tattoos in the military is nearly a tradition!

EDIT: Gunney rocked as the prison warden on Sponge Bob!! :lmao:

ImnoMensa

Bullcrap. Shaving is a hygiene issue, and can have serious health implications in the field and in combat, as well as keeping hair close cropped. If the medic doesn't have to worry about shaving a wound or you getting hair in it, if you don't have a raggedy assed mop of hair collecting ticks and other parasites...

Tell me how a tattoo even comes close. I can understand limiting placement (not on the face, etc) but beyond the obvious... I mean heck, tattoos in the military is nearly a tradition!

EDIT: Gunney rocked as the prison warden on Sponge Bob!! :lmao:

Without some sort of regulation there is always someone who will carry it too far.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 54

Wildcat97

I think you missed Turbos statement concerning limiting placement.... Obviously, this guy didn't have discretion

CrashTest

Bullcrap. Shaving is a hygiene issue, and can have serious health implications in the field and in combat, as well as keeping hair close cropped.

Health Implications? The Navy has allowed full blown beards from time to time. Here is a picture of current Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus when he was a JG on the U.S.S. Little Rock in 1970.

Attachments

• mabus.JPG
    mabus.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 40

TurboK9

Health Implications? The Navy has allowed full blown beards from time to time. Here is a picture of current Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus when he was a JG on the U.S.S. Little Rock in 1970.

Yeah. Lots of ticks and parasites roaming around on aircraft carriers. Not to mention limited water resources on some Navy vessels, particularly the older ones.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

Getting tats while in foreign countries runs the risk of getting diseases from dirty needles.

TurboK9

Getting tats while in foreign countries runs the risk of getting diseases from dirty needles.

Getting laid in foreign countries has the same risks. However, neither one can be directly linked to a Marine's combat effectiveness, because if he's sick from it he won't be deployed or will be considered combat inneffective and replaced. And, just like getting laid, there are ways to pretty much assure that you are safe in doing so.

No tattoos or sex for the stupid Marine's who can't tell a dirty needle or whore from a clean one, or who can't go to a reputable tattoo shop or won't wear a condom then. :killingme

itsbob

I bowl overhand
But suppose they get a tattoo that is racially insensitive, or endorses a particular religion in some way. Suppose they get a tattoo that exploits women (it's all too common to have nude women tattooed on male persons), or promotes violence and/or drug use.

Those are already covered under initial enlistment regulations.. Drugs, Gang affiliation, or nudity are reasons for Disqualification from all services. The Doctors at Meps actually have a catalogue of tattoos and their affiliations.

It's always been an offense, though not enforced, to get a tatoo.. ie.. Destruction, Defacement of Government Property amongst others.

Not many posts make me LOL. Good one!