Tax Attorney

ewashkow

Hey everyone. I am looking for a tax attorney. Hubby and I had our taxes done recently and when I heard the amount we owed, it was a difficult number to swallow. There is no way that we can come up with the money before 4/15. So, we need an attorney to possibly negotiate a smaller number or to work out a payment plan with the IRS. Does anyone have any suggestions on who to use?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Not sure how BIG your number is, but you can work out a payment plan with the IRS yourself. Why pay an attorney?

thurley42

HY;FR
Not sure how BIG your number is, but you can work out a payment plan with the IRS yourself. Why pay an attorney?

don't you see those commercials on TV? Tax firms will get the amount you owe down to pennies on the dollar! Why pay what you actually owe when you can pay someone to get you out of it....:sarcasm:

ewashkow

don't you see those commercials on TV? Tax firms will get the amount you owe down to pennies on the dollar! Why pay what you actually owe when you can pay someone to get you out of it....:sarcasm:

thurley42-I made a mistake with how to handle the funds that were coming in. I acknowledge and accept that fact and am willing to deal with it. I am aware that I owe the IRS. However I can't pay the amount owed at this time which is why I was seeing if the number could be negotiated down or have a payment plan worked out.

Cat, thank you for that information. I was unaware that I could work directly with the IRS on a payment plan. It is definitely worth looking into. Thank you also for not being snide about it.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
Just FYI- IRS payment plan may or maynot involve other fines and fees. I have heard where people have made arrangements but were subjected to late fees/penalties/interest.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Cat, thank you for that information. I was unaware that I could work directly with the IRS on a payment plan. It is definitely worth looking into. Thank you also for not being snide about it.

In years past, we've owed a good amount and have paid monthly payments. IRS says "how much ya wanna pay and on what day of the month?"

This year, we actually got money back. :yay:

crystal

The only amount that they would ever reduce would be penalty and interest part of the amount owed , the only way they would do that is if the IRS gave you bad advise and you can prove it or if there was hardship in the immediate family . Don't hire someone to help you, just call them and they will set up a payment plan . You set the amount and the day you want to pay .

dawn

Hey everyone. I am looking for a tax attorney. Hubby and I had our taxes done recently and when I heard the amount we owed, it was a difficult number to swallow. There is no way that we can come up with the money before 4/15. So, we need an attorney to possibly negotiate a smaller number or to work out a payment plan with the IRS. Does anyone have any suggestions on who to use?

Been there done that....still there actually. You can make payment plans and to be very honest they were very accommodating. You will have to pay the penalty and late fees and also pay a fee to set up the payment plan, but it will all be figured in your monthly payment. One thing I will say….if you are on a payment plan, you are not supposed to owe any year after that while you are on the payment plan. If you do owe, the payment plan will be broken and you will have to reapply for a new payment plan.

C

CalvertNewbie

Been there done that....still there actually. You can make payment plans and to be very honest they were very accommodating. You will have to pay the penalty and late fees and also pay a fee to set up the payment plan, but it will all be figured in your monthly payment. One thing I will say….if you are on a payment plan, you are not supposed to owe any year after that while you are on the payment plan. If you do owe, the payment plan will be broken and you will have to reapply for a new payment plan.

:yeahthat: We're in the same boat, on a payment plan that we set up directly with the IRS. There's no need to pay an attorney or one of those shady companies to help you. Like dawn said, the IRS is pretty easy to set up a plan with.

They're not going to budge on the amount you owe or the penalties/fees, they'll get you for every dime you owe. If you are "due money back" in future tax years, they'll take it and apply it to your balance. Like you, we owed a substantial amount a few years ago. Thank God for this payment plan!

ewashkow

Thank you everyone for your advice and guidance. I had a bleak mental image of how the IRS would react and you are all making it sound like a relatively simple process. It really eases my mind. Thank you.

C

CalvertNewbie

Thank you everyone for your advice and guidance. I had a bleak mental image of how the IRS would react and you are all making it sound like a relatively simple process. It really eases my mind. Thank you.

Yes, we were amazed at how easy they were to deal with also. It's probably a lot easier for them to set up a payment plan than to garnish people's bank accounts or wages. Just decide how much a month you can comfortably pay and make them an offer.

I think we all have the same mental image of nerdy guys sitting around in ugly brown suits, surrounded by huge files everywhere in the room. :killingme

P

playerhater

On my first payment plan with them also, it was easily done with a call. But don't prolong the call because the penalty and interest they will not take it off, found that out the hard way. Easily set up on the internet like any other bill at https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/home.do 1-800-555-8778 if you need assistance.

ImnoMensa

On my first payment plan with them also, it was easily done with a call. But don't prolong the call because the penalty and interest they will not take it off, found that out the hard way. Easily set up on the internet like any other bill at https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/home.do 1-800-555-8778 if you need assistance.

I hate to offer advice on something I know little about, but if you are thinkling of a payment plan, why not go to a bank and take out a persinal loan, pay the banks interest. It has to be cheaper than penalties and interest from the IRS. At least I think it would be.

Wrkn4livn

Get a second opinion. The previous tax preparer may have been too conservative.

Wrkn4livn

I hate to offer advice on something I know little about, but if you are thinkling of a payment plan, why not go to a bank and take out a persinal loan, pay the banks interest. It has to be cheaper than penalties and interest from the IRS. At least I think it would be.

Or use a credit card and rack up the points! IRS does allow using a credit card but they do tack on an additional fee for this...