City that banned Bible studies has Judgment Day

foodcritic

'We understand the importance of maintaining religious freedom'
Posted: March 15, 2010
8:45 pm Eastern

By Bob Unruh
© 2010 WorldNetDaily

Officials in an Arizona city where workers recently told members of a small church they are not allowed to hold Bible studies in a home and then backed up the warning with an official opinion from the city planner – an issue on which WND reported – say they now hope to make changes that will allow such religious activity.

Officials in Gilbert, Ariz., today told WND in an e-mail that the changes apparently were in the works even as the city continued handing out warnings.

"This is a community with patriotic citizens who study and defend the Constitution," Vice Mayor Linda Abbott said in the e-mail. "We understand the importance of maintaining religious freedom."

WND reported on Friday that the city had ordered a group of seven adults to stop gathering for Bible studies in a private home because such meetings are forbidden by the city's zoning codes.

Pastor Joe Sutherland of Oasis of Truth Church was told in a letter from code compliance officer Steve Wallace that the people were not allowed to meet in a home for church activities under the city's Land Development Code.

Vince

Pastor Joe Sutherland of Oasis of Truth Church was told in a letter from code compliance officer Steve Wallace that the people were not allowed to meet in a home for church activities under the city's Land Development Code.
:lmao: Sorry, I'll do what I please in my own home.

bcp

In My Opinion
:lmao: Sorry, I'll do what I please in my own home.
The only thing I think they could do would be to limit the traffic if any that the Bible study causes. Of course, once they do that they might just make birthday parties or large family gatherings illegal too.

Nucklesack

Based on your past history of Questionable posts from Questionable sources, I'd expect the real story is the City of Gilbert had issues with the guy holding a service in his house because the cars of the followers blocked traffic.

Lo and behold, thats what it was
City leaders said Monday the town zoning code is meant to help neighborhoods with traffic, parking and safety concerns
Because the gathering was small, it didnt violate the ordinance and was overturned.

So much for attacking Christians :killingme

foodcritic

Based on your past history of Questionable posts from Questionable sources, I'd expect the real story is the City of Gilbert had issues with the guy holding a service in his house because the cars of the followers blocked traffic.

Lo and behold, thats what it was

Because the gathering was small, it didnt violate the ordinance and was overturned.

So much for attacking Christians :killingme

Thanks for proving my point!:howdy:

City leaders said Monday the town zoning code is meant to help neighborhoods with traffic, parking and safety concerns, but was interpreted by town staff to mean that small church groups could not meet in their own homes.

Can you say backtrack much....:killingme Or oops we got caught....:killingme
Or someone called us on our bias so we will come up with another reason...

Nucklesack

Thanks for proving my point!:howdy:

Can you say backtrack much....:killingme Or oops we got caught....:killingme
Or someone called us on our bias so we will come up with another reason...

You, FoodIdiot, made the claim the City had an ordinance that outlawed Bible Studies

It doesnt, you were wrong (as usual)​
Your "source", also made the claim

Your source was wrong (as usual)​

The City has an ordinance for traffic, and parking. Someone interepreted this law to cover the Bible study, and was corrected.

No issue and no attack on Christians.

foodcritic

You, FoodIdiot, made the claim the City had an ordinance that outlawed Bible Studies

It doesnt, you were wrong (as usual)​
Your "source", also made the claim

Your source was wrong (as usual)​

The City has an ordinance for traffic, and parking. Someone interepreted this law to cover the Bible study, and was corrected.

No issue and no attack on Christians.

I guess you naivete meter is at an all time high....:killingme

City leaders said Monday the town zoning code is meant to help neighborhoods with traffic, parking and safety concerns, but was interpreted by town staff to mean that small church groups could not meet in their own homes.[/QUOTE]

THE SOURCE WAS CORRECT. However you want to spin it, by default the people were told they were not allowed to meet. That came from the town. Now they want to throw someone or "staff" under the bus because they got their code handed back to them.

The only questionable source on the forum is.............u.

or and further....

Gilbert officials have promised to makes changes to a town code barring religious assemblies in private homes after a national group claimed it was unconstitutional.

Under the code if you meet once, with more than two people, and it is a religious gathering then it is a violation of the code,

You didn't even read your own story.......:killingme

Nucklesack

City leaders said Monday the town zoning code is meant to help neighborhoods with traffic, parking and safety concerns, but was interpreted by town staff to mean that small church groups could not meet in their own homes.[/QUOTE]

THE SOURCE WAS CORRECT. However you want to spin it, by default the people were told they were not allowed to meet. That came from the town. Now they want to throw someone or "staff" under the bus because they got their code handed back to them.

The only questionable source on the forum is.............u.

or and further....

You didn't even read your own story.......:killingme

You and your "source" attempted to claim the City of Gilbert has some ordinance to ban Bible Studies

you were wrong, but refuse to acknowledge it (we're used to you with that Ed's)

Here is the link for the City of Gilberts Zoning and Planning, let us know where we can find this ordinance

Here is the link for all municipalities, i've hotlinked Gilbert for you, let us know where we can find this ordinance

Here are all of the ordinances for Gilbert, let us know where we can find this ordinance

foodcritic

You and your "source" attempted to claim the City of Gilbert has some ordinance to ban Bible Studies

you were wrong, but refuse to acknowledge it (we're used to you with that Ed's)

Here is the link for the City of Gilberts Zoning and Planning, let us know where we can find this ordinance

Here is the link for all municipalities, i've hotlinked Gilbert for you, let us know where we can find this ordinance

Here are all of the ordinances for Gilbert, let us know where we can find this ordinance

I won't say your stupid because that would be harsh...

THIS IS YOUR LINK!

Gilbert promises change to code banning religious meetings - Phoenix Arizona news, breaking news, local news, weather radar, traffic from ABC15 News | ABC15.com

In your link it says the following: (first sentence)

Gilbert officials have promised to makes changes to a town code barring religious assemblies in private homes after a national group claimed it was unconstitutional.

U better stop posting from "questionable" sources...:popcorn:

Nucklesack

I won't say your stupid because that would be harsh...

THIS IS YOUR LINK!

Gilbert promises change to code banning religious meetings - Phoenix Arizona news, breaking news, local news, weather radar, traffic from ABC15 News | ABC15.com

In your link it says the following: (first sentence)

U better stop posting from "questionable" sources...:popcorn:

Couldnt find the ordinance even though you were given 3 different sources for the City of Gilberts Zoning and Planning laws.

And yet you still refuse to correct your assertion.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
U better stop posting from "questionable" sources...
Er, didn't you quote from there to prove him wrong? :lol:

I do not see that they were 'targeting' any religious (specifically Christian) group; seems it could as easily have been another type of group if the circumstances were similar.

Which brings up an interesting point: would you, foodie, have raised this issue if the group being so terribly persecuted was Wiccan, Buddhist or anything else? You are supposedly coming at this from a religious freedom standpoint, so I am curious how much 'freedom' you really want.

Lastly, where is the "judgment day" aspect? Are the non-believers being smote with fireballs and plagues? Or will we have to wait for the next installment from WND for that follow-up?

foodcritic

ABC News is not the one that created this thread, Food Idiot did.

You created this thread, and used a source that claimed that the City of Gilbert had an ordinance that banned Bible Studies.

You were shown that was not true, yet you refuse to correct your thread or adjust your claim
Now your just lying...

Really ABC news did not start this thread...Wow. Breaking news for me.

The story has been confirmed and the details by two (may be more) credible sights. Don't blame me you can't twist it.

Yours:

Mine:

The code, which was last updated in April 2006, states that "Religious assembly uses are not permitted in single family residential structures."

A Gilbert code compliance officer in November interpreted that to include the prohibition of church meetings, such as Bible studies and leadership meetings, within private homes, according to the Defense Fund.

Town officials subsequently sent a cease-and-desist order to Pastor Joe Sutherland of the Oasis of Truth Church, which had held small meetings in the homes of its seven adult members.

"This is unusual that a town would go this far," Defense Fund attorney Daniel Blomberg said. "The church is concerned about being protected from discrimination. It's both a violation of constitutional rights and statutory rights."

The order was sent without the knowledge of Town Council members, who learned of the regulation about six weeks ago, Lewis said.

"When the Town Council became aware of this, it was an immediate reaction that this was not right," he said. "It is not Gilbert to say that we do not allow groups to get together, faith groups that just want to have worship services."

The Council weeks ago asked town officials to stop enforcing the code until permanent changes could be made, Lewis said. The issue was scheduled for discussion at a March 23 council meeting.
Gilbert poised to rescind controversial religious ban

Nucklesack

Now your just lying...
Sure you want to go there? You continue to refuse to reference the actual City of Gilberts zoning and planning laws and regulations.

Instead, you cite a questionable source that is as credible as any MoveOn.org, Michael Moore, or Al Gore publication.

Really ABC news did not start this thread...Wow. Breaking news for me.
ABC News refutes your credible source, there is and was no ordinance against Bible Studies. There was an ordinance about traffic congestion.
The story has been confirmed and the details by two (may be more) credible sights. Don't blame me you can't twist it.
Look who's lying now, but then dishonesty has always been a strong suite of yours.

WND, who is not credible, claims it was an ordinance against Bible studies.

The credible source, ABC News, cites it was a parking violation.

Imagine that, more dishonesty from FoodIdiot, ABC News tells you the reason they were cited was because of a Traffic regulation, and you ignore it.

You are Nonono in discuise arent you?
Really? Wow the only source that lists that it was some actual ordinance against some sort of religion was World News Daily.

Every other source, including the the City of Gilberts Planning and Zonning, refute your idiocy but go ahead chicken little

We're still waiting, did you find that ordinance yet?

foodcritic

ABC News refutes your credible source, there is and was no ordinance against Bible Studies. There was an ordinance about traffic congestion.

I guess they fooled the people at ABC also... I made it bold for U. \|/

Look who's lying now, but then dishonesty has always been a strong suite of yours.
Your are.

WND, who is not credible, claims it was an ordinance against Bible studies.
No they said that bible studies were in violation of the ordinance.

The credible source, ABC News, cites it was a parking violation.
NO see your sight above (are u reading your own stuff?)

Really? Wow the only source that lists that it was some actual ordinance against some sort of religion was World News Daily.
Not true I added one in the last post. Been on sev sights....

Every other source, including the the City of Gilberts Planning and Zonning, refute your idiocy but go ahead chicken little We're still waiting, did you find that ordinance yet?

Another lie.....why do you lie so much...? Every story admitted the ordinance was banning religious gatherings in the residence...be it bible study or whatever. And no I'am not looking for the specific ordinance. I will stand by ABC's story.

Nucklesack

I guess they fooled the people at ABC also... I made it bold for U. \|/

Your are.

No they said that bible studies were in violation of the ordinance.

NO see your sight above (are u reading your own stuff?)

Not true I added one in the last post. Been on sev sights....

Another lie.....why do you lie so much...? Every story admitted the ordinance was banning religious gatherings in the residence...be it bible study or whatever. And no I'am not looking for the specific ordinance. I will stand by ABC's story.

Do you stand by ABC's story that states they were cited for traffic congestion? Not what some source claims is the reason, you do recognize the difference? your not that ... "touched" are you?

Still waiting for you to pull (out of your arse) the actual Ordinance from the City of Gilbert (we notice you continue to avoid this question)

Nucklesack

Still waiting for you to pull (out of your arse) the actual Ordinance from the City of Gilbert (we notice you continue to avoid this question)

Because your to lazy, and would rather rely upon WND as your source, here is what they were cited with

This if from City of Gilberts Land Development Code (but you'd have to be marginally interested in doing a little research on your own)

4. General Regulations
Division 4: General Regulations contain provisions pertaining to site regulations, off-street parking and loading, landscape, signs, supplemental uses, non-conforming uses, parcels, structures and signs, wireless communication facilities, over-the-air reception devices, large satellite dishes, satellite earth stations, and amateur radio facilities. Specific rules are also included to regulate certain uses regardless of where they occur, such as drive-through businesses, religious assembly, and temporary uses.​
The religious group, was not cited for holding a Bible Study, as you and WND falsely claim. They were cited for the traffic congestion violation, as part of the city regulations.

So much for following the laws eh Blart?

This_person

I'm confused - if the reason these people were cited was because of a traffic congestion issue, yet it has been determined that there was actually no traffic congestion issue, what drew the police to them in the first place?