Leave smelly perfumes, deodorants, and candles at

You Agree or Disagree ...

• A Sexy Smelling Man / Woman around the Office Is Nice ...

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • You have gaged on someone's scents around the Office ...

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • This is Wrong ....

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You agree, but do not have alergies ...

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Unwashed CoWorkers Suck ....

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
E

EmptyTimCup

:yahoo:

About damn time !!!!

Detroit to city workers: Leave smelly perfumes, deodorants, and candles at home!

Detroit officials are telling workers in city offices to leave smelly perfumes, deodorants, and other strongly scented toiletries and items at home.The signs are going up in response to a federal lawsuit, which also awarded $100,000 to Susan McBride, who sued the city under the Americans with Disabilities Act, claiming a coworker's perfume made it difficult for her to breathe and do her job.

The city fought the 2008 suit, citing a lack of a medical diagnosis and arguing that McBride is not disabled. But the move this week to warn workers to refrain from using strong-smelling products is a clear sign the city is following through with some of the measures the judge ordered last month. The signs will warn workers to avoid "wearing scented products, including ... colognes, aftershave lotions, perfumes, deodorants, body/face lotions ... (and) the use of scented candles, perfume samples from magazines, spray or solid air fresheners."

:evil:

bcp

In My Opinion
Im one of those that are in a bad situation here.
I am allergic to "some" perfumes, but not others. I have no idea what the difference is.
the downside is that there are some fragrences that women wear that really smell good on them, kinda makes the hot if you know what I mean. But, a few minutes in the room with them and my eyes start to water, sinus clogs up, and I get a headache,,, quick.

so I have to vote leave them at home.
Im kinda like the person that is allergic to shell fish but cant stop themselves from eating lobster and crab.

it sucks.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Cheap perfume (knockoffs, cvs brand etc) closes my airway..no joke. I weeze and cough until im in fresh air for a bit..get some chanel by me...and I am fine :killingme my airway is a bit of a snob. But truthfully, any perfume that someone marinates in is irritating...candles dont bother me..but those are nonos anyway..It is sad you have to tell people to not be obnoxious with their scents..but I guess you do. I suspect by "deoderant" they mean ax. That stuff is horrid..esp since the average Ax wearer uses a can at a time.

SamSpade

From the awful smells that accompany heavily perfumed people, I suspect they do it for the same reason perfume was invented - to mask much worse odors. I'm betting many people use it as an alternative to bathing and other forms of personal hygiene.

Pushrod

Patriot
I have a co-worker that could use a bit of deoderant or cologne, When you get close to him the putrid smell is enough to gag you. I have ragged him multiple times about it and he is good for a while, then the smell starts up again. I brought in this horrid spray air freshener and when ever he smells I give it a squirt in his direction, the mix of smells this makes drives pretty much everyone out of the office, but he gets the point pretty quickly.
:evil:

bcp

In My Opinion
Don't you all say things to these people? Hell, the embarassment should be enough to fix the problem....
As a white guy, thats exactly what you want to do. Mention perfume stench or body odor to a female co-worker.
You might as well start looking for a new job before you mention it to them.

thurley42

HY;FR
As a white guy, thats exactly what you want to do. Mention perfume stench or body odor to a female co-worker.

Wow...that really blows....I feel for you...

Wow...that really blows....I feel for you...

Unfortunately, it's the truth. It's covered in our corporate Harassment policy.

My first thought was the same as mAlice's, no deodorant.....not a good idea....

thurley42

HY;FR
Unfortunately, it's the truth. It's covered in our corporate Harassment policy.

My first thought was the same as mAlice's, no deodorant.....not a good idea....

I flew from Frankfurt to Dulles once sitting next to someone who culturally didn't wear deodorant, but decided to wear JOOP and if you know what that is, you can sympathize.....I took 10mg of Ambien prior to takeoff and the odor was enough to give me a headache and keep me in some sort of zombie state where I wasn't able to go to sleep, but was way out of it....I was miserable by the time I landed and instead of enjoying being in the states for the first time in 8 months I went home and went to bed....

Toxick

Splat
I have a coworker who would spritz up every day after lunch.

Now, I'm all for smelling good, and I appreciate going the extra mile to stay fresh the whole day - but that #### she sprayed on was enough to choke a mule. It was a pleasant smell, but it was very unpleasant in the concentration I was being subjected to.

It got to the point where I'd hear the spray, and I'd immediately get up and leave the office for 5-10 minutes until the air inside the blast-radius would clear out.

Holy crap, that's some brutal stuff.

She actually hasn't done that in a few months. I never complained or said anything, so either someone else said something, or my running away from ground zero every day wasn't as subtle as I thought.

Or maybe she doesn't get as sweaty during the winter months, and hasn't needed to hose down for a while.

bcp

In My Opinion
I flew from Frankfurt to Dulles once sitting next to someone who culturally didn't wear deodorant, but decided to wear JOOP and if you know what that is, you can sympathize.....I took 10mg of Ambien prior to takeoff and the odor was enough to give me a headache and keep me in some sort of zombie state where I wasn't able to go to sleep, but was way out of it....I was miserable by the time I landed and instead of enjoying being in the states for the first time in 8 months I went home and went to bed....
If there are any open seats on the plane they will move you if you ask.
I got upgraded to first class once because the woman next to me smelled like a laundry basket full of dirty undershorts.

E

EmptyTimCup

Im one of those that are in a bad situation here.
I am allergic to "some" perfumes, but not others. I have no idea what the difference is.

it sucks.

there is a "Base" compound in a lot of perfume, Oras? Root ... this is usually what one is allergic to ....

glad fresheners ... Popouri ... most flower scented candles ... :barf:

instant Migraine ... I can feel the muscles tense up in my neck the longer I am in a room exposed ...

:coffee: