Who owns your car?

dustin

UAIOE
Well right now the bank owns my truck :rolleyes:

I think NAPA still has a petition sheet you can sign up to support "Your right to Repair".

The way it was explained to me is basically that car manufacturers dont want to give out computer fault codes and other repair stuff related to any of the onboard automotive computer systems. So the vehicle owner would have to bring it to the dealer to get any major service done because nowadays so many things in vehicles are computer controlled/interfaced that you would have to deal with the computer side of the repair as well.

Shoot if you get a check engine light from leaving the gas cap off you already gotta go back to the dealer to get them to reset it for you (at least most vehicles).

willie

I can only speak from experience about Toyota, Dodge and Chevrolet and I don't see a problem.

willie

The gas cap code is a total rip off but an independent will give you the shaft as quick as the dealer and sometimes it will cost you more money.

dustin

UAIOE
Originally posted by willie
The gas cap code is a total rip off but an independent will give you the shaft as quick as the dealer and sometimes it will cost you more money.
Unless you're a blonde, the trick here is just to not leave your gas cap off:wink:

willie

Originally posted by dustin
Unless you're a blonde, the trick here is just to not leave your gas cap off:wink:

A code of P044X can be a lot of difficult things to diagnose but the first thing the dealer or the independent will do is tell you it "probably" was the gas cap. $85 to pull the code. How will the Right to repair bill fix this rip off?

dustin

UAIOE
I don't have a problem with the subject of this thread.

Ok that's cool, but I sure dont wanna have to take my future vehicle to the dealer for something I could be doing myself.

dustin

UAIOE
A code of P044X can be a lot of difficult things to diagnose but the first thing the dealer or the independent will do is tell you it "probably" was the gas cap. $85 to pull the code. How will the Right to repair bill fix this rip off?

I dont think it's designed to fix existing stuff like this, but prevent the manufacturers from requiring dealer service on things which arent required to have service done by the dealer currently.

Yes, pulling codes like that is a rip off. But the dealer's my friends and family have dealt with have never had to pay to get this code cleared. Guess it depends on who you know :shrug:

willie

Ok that's cool, but I sure dont wanna have to take my future vehicle to the dealer for something I could be doing myself.
Adding a scanner to your tool box will help but the days of tweaking your carburetor by ear are gone forever.

dustin

UAIOE
Adding a scanner to your tool box will help but the days of tweaking your carburetor by ear are gone forever.

All too true. But you have to think that something as simple as changing the oil might have to be done in the future by dealers because some crazy idiot sensors get wired into the ECU to tell the numskull behind the wheel his oil is nasty....all hypothetical of course....but not unlikely

willie

I dont think it's designed to fix existing stuff like this, but prevent the manufacturers from requiring dealer service on things which arent required to have service done by the dealer currently.

If that is actually being done then I'd agree. The USA Today example of the BMW needing the dealer to reprogram the ECM is the only dealer only repair that I can think of and I think it should be dealer only. Turning back odometers is one reason.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Stupid question but is there a website or book that lists the codes, everything can be found on the web right??? I mean available to everyone, so that way you can see what the mechanics see as the problem???

willie

Originally posted by tys_mommy
Stupid question but is there a website or book that lists the codes, everything can be found on the web right??? I mean available to everyone, so that way you can see what the mechanics see as the problem???
OBDII codes
There are also codes that pertain to specific models that are usually available in shop manuals.

Last edited: