vacation ideas

Goofy

Need some new vacation ideas for summer or weekend trips. Looking for stuff within driving distance (8 hours) of Calvert. For those reading and thinking the same thing, we've done Charleston, Savannah, Southern Maine, Jekyll Island and the Outer Banks to name a few places. Thanks in advance.

Homer J

Power Chord
Might be a little farther than 8 hours but Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg is an awesome destination spot.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Jersey Shore (go hang out with the guidos)
Shennendoha Valley - Skyline Drive, Laray Caverns ...
Williamsburg et al (including Bush Gardens) you can also daytrip down to Hampton Roads / Norfolk from there.

and thumbs up for Kings Dominion. Close and clean. Nice atmosphere there.

Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg is way more then 8 hours. More like 10 or 12 depending on traffic and how many stops you have to make (for the wee ones).

Uncle Charlie

Beer is Good!!!!
Fire Island or Block Island in New York.
Ocean City MD or NJ
Rehobeth Beach, DE
Virginia Beach
Outerbanks of NC
Rocky Gap in Western Maryland
Stay home, make day trips all around Southern Maryland seeing all we have to offer. Pick a different restaurant to eat in every day and make "vacation" foods if cooking at home. There is lots to do in our own backyards!

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Fire Island or Block Island in New York.
Ocean City MD or NJ
Rehobeth Beach, DE
Virginia Beach
Outerbanks of NC
Rocky Gap in Western Maryland
Stay home, make day trips all around Southern Maryland seeing all we have to offer. Pick a different restaurant to eat in every day and make "vacation" foods if cooking at home. There is lots to do in our own backyards!

Really?? I'm from the island and unless it's changed drastically I wouldn't take children there!

Really?? I'm from the island and unless it's changed drastically I wouldn't take children there!

Depends on which part of Fire Island you talk about. If you are thinking Cherry Grove and Giglo, yeah, then I agree. If you're talking east like Smith Point Park and Cupsouge, well, I just can't wait to get back there again. I spend at least 3 weekends a year there.

glitch

Devil's Advocate
Shenandoah National Park! It's awesome! They have campgrounds, camper sites, and hotel rooms available. I've been more times than I can count and would highly recommend it.

Uncle Charlie

Beer is Good!!!!

The original post said NOTHING about children and as has already been pointed out, there are some areas where it would be fine for children and is fine for them!

N

navywife1984

Need some new vacation ideas for summer or weekend trips. Looking for stuff within driving distance (8 hours) of Calvert. For those reading and thinking the same thing, we've done Charleston, Savannah, Southern Maine, Jekyll Island and the Outer Banks to name a few places. Thanks in advance.

I second the motion for Williamsburg, VA. It is only about a 3 hour drive from where we are in So. St. Mary's County. You have Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Busch Gardens, Water Country USA. The College of William & Mary (the oldest public university in the United States, and second in age to Harvard) is right across the street from Merchant's Square/Colonial Williamsburg and is a beautiful campus to walk around. (a little partial there as our oldest child is a graduate of W&M!) Lots of wonderful places to eat, (the Cheese Shop at Merchant's square has awesome sandwiches for reasonable prices). At Colonial Williamsburg, if you don't want to pay the entrance fee you can still walk around the grounds, just not go into any of the buildings or exhibits. If you have any other questions, you can pm if you would like.

:patriot:

Goofy

I should have mentioned in my initial post, we have two boys (12 and 13). Lots of great ideas. Thanks everyone.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I second the motion for Williamsburg, VA. It is only about a 3 hour drive from where we are in So. St. Mary's County. You have Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Busch Gardens, Water Country USA. The College of William & Mary (the oldest public university in the United States, and second in age to Harvard) is right across the street from Merchant's Square/Colonial Williamsburg and is a beautiful campus to walk around. (a little partial there as our oldest child is a graduate of W&M!) Lots of wonderful places to eat, (the Cheese Shop at Merchant's square has awesome sandwiches for reasonable prices). At Colonial Williamsburg, if you don't want to pay the entrance fee you can still walk around the grounds, just not go into any of the buildings or exhibits. If you have any other questions, you can pm if you would like.

:patriot:

...and they have a Pancake House on every corner.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I should have mentioned in my initial post, we have two boys (12 and 13). Lots of great ideas. Thanks everyone.

Williamssburg is close and has lots of fun things to do (besides the historical)
Mini golf, go kart track, food (both fine dinning and pizza type stuff).
There are lots of hotels in the area, from good to "please let's not stay here".
Colonial Williamsburg runs specials on some of their properties. There are also a lot of timeshare resorts in the area now. Not sure about campgrounds but one good source would be to checkout Colonial Williamsburg, I think they have a website.