dog sitting and errand running service

squidword

i am thinking about starting a dog sitting, walking, take to the vet and errand running service but was wondering if this would be something that people would be interested in. i would appreciate any feedback, what do you think, how much would you pay?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
i am thinking about starting a dog sitting, walking, take to the vet and errand running service but was wondering if this would be something that people would be interested in. i would appreciate any feedback, what do you think, how much would you pay?

You'll have to be licensed and bonded if you're going into people's homes. How much would you pay? Sounds like a good business if you can get the clientale. I know people pay to have their laundry taken to the cleaners, groceries delievered, etc. Do you have a backgound in veterinary medicine? That would probably be a good thing to have if you plan to transport animals that may be ill.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
You'll have to be licensed and bonded if you're going into people's homes. How much would you pay? Sounds like a good business if you can get the clientale. I know people pay to have their laundry taken to the cleaners, groceries delievered, etc. Do you have a backgound in veterinary medicine? That would probably be a good thing to have if you plan to transport animals that may be ill.
:yeahthat:
then you have to think about payment and treatment consent... since you are not the owner... that right there is a major liability to the vet

What if you were quoted one price and had to pay more... could not get in touch with the owner? Do you think the owner will be ok with the over charge?

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Chesapeake Pet Resort offers those services. You can check and see what they charge.

Chesapeake Pet Resort & Day Spa - 2010 Rates

But she is a kennel, and has lots of training! way different from someone "just" wanting to start up a pet sitting/walking service

She has been in business for a while and is reputable!! and provides GREAT service :yay: also puts her employees thru training to provide great care for the animals She and her kennel rocks! :yahoo:

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day

You can ask questions all day and night, but you'll never know if it's going to work unless you try.
That being said, you should research the ones that already exist and check their prices. From there, you need to see if it's going to be worth your time and effort. But again, you'll never really know unless you try.

My issues with starting a dog walking service would be the actual amount of clients I could truely service each day and still meet my needs. If I were to call a dog walker for service, I would want them here in the middle of the day (and imagine most folks would want the same). How many places can you really be (without help) between 10-2 including drive time? The actual sitting/errand part could make up a good bit of clientel but now your time is scattered throughout the morning, day, evening and weekends. Are you willing to commit to that kind of schedule? If so, the only thing stopping you is you!

Last edited:

Sydney

But she is a kennel, and has lots of training! way different from someone "just" wanting to start up a pet sitting/walking service

She has been in business for a while and is reputable!! and provides GREAT service :yay: also puts her employees thru training to provide great care for the animals She and her kennel rocks! :yahoo:

I couldn't agree more! I wouldn't take my dog anywhere else!

frequentflier

happy to be living

Personally, I would not hire somone to pet sit that was not licensed, insured and bonded; with experience and knowledge of pet first aid, etc. Certifications are a huge plus.
No one is getting a key to my home without checking references and a search on the MD judicial system.
Had a house cleaning company when I lived in southern California that was stealing food; when I specifically said they were not to go in my pantry or fridge. God only knows what else they were taking!

N

navywife1984

She has been in business for a while and is reputable!! and provides GREAT service :yay: also puts her employees thru training to provide great care for the animals She and her kennel rocks! :yahoo:[/QUOT

My dog and I just love CPR as it is so affectionately called at our home, so as to not get the dog excited thinking he is going there!

:patriot:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Personally, I would not hire somone to pet sit that was not licensed, insured and bonded; with experience and knowledge of pet first aid, etc. Certifications are a huge plus.
No one is getting a key to my home without checking references and a search on the MD judicial system.
Had a house cleaning company when I lived in southern California that was stealing food; when I specifically said they were not to go in my pantry or fridge. God only knows what else they were taking!

and
would you let someone else take your dog to the vet? (as an errand run)
how well do you think message will be relayed back to you from the vet if the "runner" had three dogs to take? and what if you had questions as most people do about their pet?

also.. how would someone else answer all the basic questions on your dogs

frequentflier

happy to be living

and
would you let someone else take your dog to the vet? (as an errand run)
how well do you think message will be relayed back to you from the vet if the "runner" had three dogs to take? and what if you had questions as most people do about their pet?

also.. how would someone else answer all the basic questions on your dogs

All good points.

Not to be discouraging to the OP but there are a heck of a lot of qualified pet sitting companies out there that really serve us well. And a few that don't. I know of one "professional" sitter that works full time in a vets office, claims to be a legal business and has many years *experience*. I also know she is a thief and rifles through peoples possessions and does not show up when she is supposed to and/or charges people for.

My advice to the OP is do more research and look into the cost of liability insurance, certifications, etc.

Cowgirl

I personally wouldn't let anyone take my dogs to the vet. I'm also very funny about who I let take them for car rides. I just don't trust people. :ohwell: I'm not even sure I'd let a stranger (insured or not) walk my dogs. Luckily I have great inlaws that watch them for us when needed.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I personally wouldn't let anyone take my dogs to the vet. I'm also very funny about who I let take them for car rides. I just don't trust people. :ohwell: I'm not even sure I'd let a stranger (insured or not) walk my dogs. Luckily I have great inlaws that watch them for us when needed.

My dogs are trained to not accept rides from strangers...no matter how many biscuits and bones they are offered. :lmao:

idiganthro

I worked part time for a pet sitting company in Hampton Roads, VA. It was licenced an bonded- all pet sitters were carefully screened and given training. Precautions including a pre-appt for both sitter/client were mandatory. When I left I think the going rate was 20/visit- so one visit per day was 20, but if you were watching a dog, say, and it needed more visits, it was 20/visit. The price also went up slightly for multiple animals. We also watered plants, got mail, turned lights on/off and generally tried to make the animals comfortable and the house look like someone was home.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
My dogs are trained to not accept rides from strangers...no matter how many biscuits and bones they are offered. :lmao:

Can you teach mine!! The BH are food whor*s!
"hey puppy dog... got a biscut for ya"..... and they are in the car!!!

but.. truth is .. no one want to p/u a B.H.!!! too much drool