Water problem...

Nupe2

(I posted this in the consumer forum but this is probably a better location)

The water from our kitchen faucet smells like rotten eggs. It's the only water source in the house with this problem. Has anyone here experienced that problem? I think it might be a hydrogen sulfide problem (we have a well) but I would think All of our water would have that problem.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping this doesn't require replacement of the water line to that faucet. I haven't tried a filter yet and think that might be an option.

Thanks!

Toxick

Splat
(I posted this in the consumer forum but this is probably a better location)

The water from our kitchen faucet smells like rotten eggs. It's the only water source in the house with this problem. Has anyone here experienced that problem? I think it might be a hydrogen sulfide problem (we have a well) but I would think All of our water would have that problem.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping this doesn't require replacement of the water line to that faucet. I haven't tried a filter yet and think that might be an option.

Thanks!

If it's only in the one sink, then the smell must be coming from the drain.

Run some Liquid Plummer through it, and chase it with a lot of hot water.

If that doesn't get rid of the odor, get some vinegar and pour in about a quart of it and let it sit overnight. Next morning, flush with a lot of hot water.

If that doesn't work, pull off the trap and clean out everything you can get to.

Good luck!

Crap - I just reread what you wrote, and you said it's from the faucet, not just 'at the sink'....

You may have hydrogen sulfide everywhere but you only smell it in the kitchen (I've heard that happen before). Test by spraying water at full force at one of the other faucets int a bucket or something, and smell the rim for an odor.

If that's not it, you may have to dismantle your kitchen faucet and sanitize the whole thing.

:/

That's about all I can think of.

Last edited:

exnodak

There are two possibilities from your description.

1. There is a filter on the sink tap giving you the problem. The filter is bad and needs to be replaced.

Or

2. It is the well. Probably iron bacteria which will eventually create a black staining slime in your plumbing and on your fixtures. You smell it at the kitchen sink because the aerator displaces hydrogen sulfide and releases it close to your nose. Hydrogen Sulfide is the byproduct of enzymes produced by the bacteria and exist as the black slime.

ALL TYPES/KINDS OF WATER FILTERS EVENTUALLY BECOME BREEDING GROUND FOR THIS BACTERIA IF NOT MAINTAINED REGULARLY.

Some water conditioners treat the water, but never address the root problem.

You should treat your well with clorox. You could do some homework and figure out just how much you need to use, but it really doesn't have to be that complicated.

Turn the well off at your breaker panel.

Then take the top off your well casing.

Carefully, make sure your electrical connections are out of the way and can't get wet and short out during the process.

Feed the garden hose in so it is below the electrical wiring and make sure it can't slip out and wet the electrical.

Turn on the breaker.

Turn on the water and let the pump just cycle the water in the well.

While the pump is running pour a couple of gallons of clorox into the well. You should get a strong whif of sulphur and then it should start smelling like pool water.

If you continue to get the sulphur smell just add a little more clorox until it clears up.

Let it circulate for up to 10 minutes and turn the pump off and let it sit up to half hour.

Then turn the pump on and off for one minute cycles about 5 times.

Take the hose out and replace the well cover.

Let stand for 24 hours.

Then turn the well on and flush it until the chlorine taste and odor are gone.

This should be done at least once and probably twice/year or as needed.

OR

You can have a well service do it.

Last edited: