Armed man arrested as Obama left N.C..............

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
Armed man arrested as Obama left N.C. faces hearing

"SHEVILLE, North Carolina (AP) — An armed man spotted at a airport parking lot just after Air Force One departed and who said he wanted to see President Obama was being held at the request of federal authorities, a judge said Monday.

Authorities arrested Joseph Sean McVey, 23, on Sunday afternoon at the Asheville Regional Airport and charged him with going armed in terror of the public, a misdemeanor.

McVey, wearing a white jail jumpsuit, appeared calm and spoke in a steady voice via a video conference Monday morning while district Judge Patricia Young said federal authorities wanted him kept in custody even if he posts bail.

McVey was being held under a $100,000 secured bond for the misdemeanor charge and faces up to 120 days in jail if convicted, the judge said. She told him an attorney had agreed to represent him.

"I'd like to take advantage of the gentleman that you were notifying me about," he responded.

Young set his next court date for June 10.

McVey told an officer in the airport parking lot he wanted to see the president. He had a car equipped with police gear, including a siren and flashing lights, though he did not work in law enforcement, authorities said.

Security was heightened at the airport Sunday because Obama was leaving after spending the weekend vacationing in Asheville."

More at: Citizen-Times - Armed man arrested as Obama left N.C. faces hearing

Attachments

• mcvey.jpg
    mcvey.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Does it say anywhere in there what exactly he was armed with? I scanned but didn't see it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The one item I found odd was "formula for rifle scopes".

If some overzealous fed saw my Google and Wiki topics, they'd arrest me in a minute. I get interested in all sorts of strange things, or go on a wikiworm that leads me to weird subjects. This guy being interested in rifle scopes isn't all that alarming to me.

If some overzealous fed saw my Google and Wiki topics, they'd arrest me in a minute. I get interested in all sorts of strange things, or go on a wikiworm that leads me to weird subjects. This guy being interested in rifle scopes isn't all that alarming to me.

Never heard of anyone making rifle scopes. Telescopes yes:nerd: and my Dad made, gasp, telephoto lens for his cameras! I just found it odd that it would be an item of interest to the police.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I find it interesting the details that they have left out.

Was the weapon concealed, or was it on his hip??

What kind of weapon was it? They almost ALWAYS make a big deal of the caliber and type.. "9mm Automatic handgun" is always a good one.

I'm thinking those details are being left out because of something out of the ordinary.. Like it wasn't a REAL gun, and that in the state of NC it's probably legal to carry a gun unconcealed, and that's why the "terror" charge.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Armed man arrested as Obama left N.C. faces hearing

"SHEVILLE, North Carolina (AP) — An armed man spotted at a airport parking lot just after Air Force One departed and who said he wanted to see President Obama was being held at the request of federal authorities, a judge said Monday.

Authorities arrested Joseph Sean McVey, 23, on Sunday afternoon at the Asheville Regional Airport and charged him with going armed in terror of the public, a misdemeanor.

McVey, wearing a white jail jumpsuit, appeared calm and spoke in a steady voice via a video conference Monday morning while district Judge Patricia Young said federal authorities wanted him kept in custody even if he posts bail.

McVey was being held under a $100,000 secured bond for the misdemeanor charge and faces up to 120 days in jail if convicted, the judge said. She told him an attorney had agreed to represent him.

"I'd like to take advantage of the gentleman that you were notifying me about," he responded.

Young set his next court date for June 10.

McVey told an officer in the airport parking lot he wanted to see the president. He had a car equipped with police gear, including a siren and flashing lights, though he did not work in law enforcement, authorities said.

Security was heightened at the airport Sunday because Obama was leaving after spending the weekend vacationing in Asheville."

More at: Citizen-Times - Armed man arrested as Obama left N.C. faces hearing
It look like obama finally got around to pissing off the twelve year olds.

protectmd

Having been a N.C. resident, open carry is legal in the state. In chapel hill the only restriction is the barrel of your openly carried holstered weapon may not be over 5 inches. For a concealed handgun you must have a permit, or a permit which N.C. recognizes to have reciprocity. Going armed to terror of the people, the charge was origionally created to stop kkk members from riding on the highways shooting guns and creating havoc. In fact, having an openly carried gun does not meet the criteria of the criminal charge, the person could be hunting and coming out of the woods or carrying a handgun for self defense purposes and simply the presence of an openly holstered firearm is not brandishing or causing terror, despite what liberal media might think.

jetmonkey

Did they detain Weasley and Granger also?
Presidentum Assassinatus!

Attachments

• mcvey.jpg
    mcvey.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

MMDad

Lem Putt
I'm more concerned with this:

He had a car equipped with police gear, including a siren and flashing lights, though he did not work in law enforcement

That makes me think of the guys that pull women over to rape and murder them. The type who dreams of being a cop, but can't meet the requirements.

protectmd

You mentioned he had "police gear" however the mere posession of an item that says 'police' doesn't constitute as a police impersonator. There's kids that walk around the mall wearing shirts that say police on them. There's people that have lights in their car but the reality is unless they are riding down the road running lights and sirens at most they are a person of interest. Posession of the items does not make the person a criminal. The criminnal element is where the person identifies themselves as an officer. I can legally posess an entire batbelt of police crap, gun, cuffs, key,mace,baton. And let's throw in a car with strobes and a shirt that says popo. But until I've used it to gain the advantage on another person, I'm not guilty of a crime.