County banning toys in kids meals?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I saw that...how moronic. As if the kids eat fatty foods because they want the toy. no. They eat the food because it is good and their parents give it to them. The young kids who would be "lured" into eating a happy meal because of a toy..are so young that their parents have complete control over what they eat..the older kids who choose what they eat aren't going to be swayed by a 50 cent toy..they eat it because it tastes good.... They act like an occasional happy meal is making kids fat..it just isn't. Give them back recess and encourage soports participation..and they can eat whatever they want.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I saw that...how moronic. As if the kids eat fatty foods because they want the toy. no. They eat the food because it is good and their parents give it to them. The young kids who would be "lured" into eating a happy meal because of a toy..are so young that their parents have complete control over what they eat..the older kids who choose what they eat aren't going to be swayed by a 50 cent toy..they eat it because it tastes good.... They act like an occasional happy meal is making kids fat..it just isn't. Give them back recess and encourage soports participation..and they can eat whatever they want.

:yeahthat:

Just another example of the nanny-state taking decision-making out of parents' hands..... I am amazed at how many parents are willing to let this happen!

bcp

In My Opinion
Give them back recess and encourage soports participation..and they can eat whatever they want.
The problem with organized sports is the time it consumes.
every weekend, couple nights a week, etc..
makes it so you cant as a family make any plans that dont revolve around the sports.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
The problem with organized sports is the time it consumes.
every weekend, couple nights a week, etc..
makes it so you cant as a family make any plans that dont revolve around the sports.

Yeah I agree, there was one point when I was younger that I was involved in four seperate activities..it was a bit much..so we pared it back. But I am totally and completely convinced that participation in at least one physical sport or activity (I did ballet) is what every child needs. They need something to belong to, something to strive for, something to keep them out of trouble and active. It doesn't need to be "serious" like training your kid up to be a pro...but something active. karate, dance, sports, cheerleading, gymnastics...hell even ultimate frisbee..something where they move..and they can then eat whatever they want..the inactivity of children today is sad. So many don't even go out to play! I had a coworker tell me once she was glad her 6 year old liked to stay inside and play video games because then she didn't have to watch him or entertain him. My mom used to kick me out lock the door and tell me not to come back until it was dark :killingme

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Yeah I agree, there was one point when I was younger that I was involved in four seperate activities..it was a bit much..so we pared it back. But I am totally and completely convinced that participation in at least one physical sport or activity (I did ballet) is what every child needs. They need something to belong to, something to strive for, something to keep them out of trouble and active. It doesn't need to be "serious" like training your kid up to be a pro...but something active. karate, dance, sports, cheerleading, gymnastics...hell even ultimate frisbee..something where they move..and they can then eat whatever they want..the inactivity of children today is sad. So many don't even go out to play! I had a coworker tell me once she was glad her 6 year old liked to stay inside and play video games because then she didn't have to watch him or entertain him. My mom used to kick me out lock the door and tell me not to come back until it was dark :killingme

My sons have been involved with soccer through Parks and Rec as well as CSA for years and I've also heard parents comment that soccer is the only time the kids go outside and are active. They look surprised when I say that I have to drag my two kids inside kicking and screaming at night, even in snow and rain. The kids only participate in soccer for the Fall and Spring seasons so we all get a break during the Summer and Winter.

I wouldn't change it though. Having two kids in sports at the same time does require some juggling but luckily, my husband is coaching our oldest's team this season so he's always with him for games and practices. I handle the youngest's practices and games. It works for us!! Even when my husband wasn't coaching, we lucked out and never had both kid's practices on the same nights (thank goodness!)

puggymom

My kids do not even eat the food half the time!! They honestly just want the toy. Hubby and I laugh all the time about the wasted money on expensive presents when they are just as excited about a 0.50 toy from a Happy Meal.

I swear some people are just stupid.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Welcome to Silicon Valley, Home of the Unhappy Kids and Stupid Parents! :coffee:

CrackerJacks is next!!! :whistle:

BOP

Just saw this story on the news.

Calif county wants to ban toys in kids' meals | Reuters

A county in California is considering a law that will ban toys in kid's meals with a total of more than 485 calories, etc.

I'm a little shocked. I'm waaaaay too young to be able to say "I remember when toys came in Happy Meals!"

It's good that they're focused on the important things in life.

It's not like the California economy is in the toilet or anything.

PsyOps

Pixelated
It's good that they're focused on the important things in life.

It's not like the California economy is in the toilet or anything.

Makes no difference as long as they are making progress. This isn't about the toy, or calories, or bad food; it's about a little county exercising power over a huge corp like McDs. This is just one step to bigger control.

hammishsqueak

We're all mad here.
So, if it is illegal to give away a toy with the "bad" kid's meal, does that mean that mom or dad just can't buy the toy separately? If the kid wants the "bad" kid's meal AND a toy, I guess mom and dad will have to shell out more to buy the toy for now on in Silicon Valley.

Maybe FF restaurants could sneak around this by offering a discount on the "bad" kid's meals that don't come with toys. Then the parents could buy a toy separately and the total sum of the "bad" kid's meal with a toy purchased on the side would be the same price as a "good" kid's meal with a "free" toy. Oh well, they'd probably come up with a stupid law prohibiting that, too.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The whole thing is ridiculous. Parents shouldn't feed their kids fast food crap, in my opinion, but it's not the role of the government to legislate that.

However, I also feel that Californians - all of them - deserve what they get for voting these Leftist nutbags into office. So they can suck it and I hope their kids lay awake bawling every night for the poor decisions of Mommy and Dad.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I agree with you, but targeting kids in the marketing & merchandising campaigns of those toys can be very powerful. When Thing2 was small - I was a stay at home mom. He watched TV in the mornings. When Harry Potter came out - those were the toys all the burger joints had and BOY, did they ever have some great marketing campaigns! Thing2 was not even 5 years old and he wanted Harry Potter this & Harry Potter that. (he could even imitate a british accent and sound just like Harry Potter)There was no way I was taking a 4-5 yo to a HP movie, because he was a scaredy cat and some of the movies were too fantasy-filled and kind of scary for a small child. But it was hard to convey that to him - he wanted HP!

It takes tenacity to fight the incessant nagging & whining, but I won, I usually do - cuz I'm the mom and I said so! :biggrin: (And that was with anything, not just burger joint toys.)

Parents just need to parent and stop wanting the government to do their jobs for them.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The whole thing is ridiculous. Parents shouldn't feed their kids fast food crap, in my opinion, but it's not the role of the government to legislate that.

However, I also feel that Californians - all of them - deserve what they get for voting these Leftist nutbags into office. So they can suck it and I hope their kids lay awake bawling every night for the poor decisions of Mommy and Dad.

:yay:

I have a couple of people on my FB page who are from California. They're idiots and I ignore them now. They're so ate up with their California crap it's not even funny.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
I am probably a little older than you, but I remember when you got an actual toy in a box of Cracker Jacks.
You mean there are no toys in Cracker Jacks anymore? Damn, just ruin my childhood memories.

That was always a treat at Grandma's house. Had to share with my brother. My parents never bought them. Now that I think about it, Grandma didn't buy them, Grandpa did. Guess that means I haven't had Cracker Jacks since he died in 1978. The other treat he bought us was M&Ms. They came in light brown, dark brown, yellow, orange and if you were really lucky, you'd get a cancer causing red one in the package....2 red ones meant you hit the jackpot.