Bee's?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Gotcha! Worth getting a company such as terminex out?

Probably not unless you have a major infestation. Plastic wood works better than putty since it sets up faster. The way you keep them away is with a coat of paint, they go after bare or raw wood.

royhobie

hobieflyer
They also make good ping pong balls. I swat them with a ping pong racket or even a tennis racket. Doesn't seem to hurt them. They eventually shake it off and come back for more. They are agressive and will intentionally ram you, wishing they could sting the crap out of you. Especially after you play ping pong with them. Some times they come in a group which entices me to have a racket in both hands. If you're a good shot, you can shoot them out of the air with a BB gun.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
They also make good ping pong balls. I swat them with a ping pong racket or even a tennis racket. Doesn't seem to hurt them. They eventually shake it off and come back for more. They are agressive and will intentionally ram you, wishing they could sting the crap out of you. Especially after you play ping pong with them. Some times they come in a group which entices me to have a racket in both hands. If you're a good shot, you can shoot them out of the air with a BB gun.

Tennis racket is fun too!! But I like the ping pong paddle idea!!!

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Tennis racket is fun too!! But I like the ping pong paddle idea!!!

Interesting comment from someone who uses the following quote from St. Francis of Assisi as a siggy line....

Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission - to be of service to them whenever they require it.

- Francis of Assisi<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

...or perhaps you were unaware that he is the patron saint of animals and the environment? :coffee:

C

CalvertNewbie

Probably not unless you have a major infestation. Plastic wood works better than putty since it sets up faster. The way you keep them away is with a coat of paint, they go after bare or raw wood.

That would explain the huge number of bees suddenly in our backyard. Hubby & I have been building a deck for about 6 weeks, should be done Thursday. Guess I better stain faster than I have been!

Rael

Supper's Ready
That would explain the huge number of bees suddenly in our backyard. Hubby & I have been building a deck for about 6 weeks, should be done Thursday. Guess I better stain faster than I have been!

The underside joists of ours is also stained (where they seem to prefer to drill), and they still bore into it. Maybe they don't go for freshly stained, but it's never seemed to bother them in the least on ours. I just spray where they start to bore in, or get them directly if I have the chance.

C

CalvertNewbie

The underside joists of ours is also stained (where they seem to prefer to drill), and they still bore into it. Maybe they don't go for freshly stained, but it's never seemed to bother them in the least on ours. I just spray where they start to bore in, or get them directly if I have the chance.

Thanks for the info. What do you spray them with, what seems to work the best? Never had a bee problem before. Just hit down wasp nests as needed and that's all we've ever had to do......until now.

Rael

Supper's Ready
Thanks for the info. What do you spray them with, what seems to work the best? Never had a bee problem before. Just hit down wasp nests as needed and that's all we've ever had to do......until now.

Just an insect spray, they're easy to spot when you either see them or see the hole they're digging. I usually wait 'til they just crawl in if they've already established their real estate, then blast 'em (but there may be better methods).

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Painting is better at prevention than staining. Just keep after them as you don't want them laying eggs in the holes that they bore, breeding even more to bedevil your wood!

Last edited:

Wenchy

Hot Flash
My sister is replacing her deck with a stone patio. Second year of carpenter bees and no relief. They did the pesticides and putty.

C

CalvertNewbie

Just an insect spray, they're easy to spot when you either see them or see the hole they're digging. I usually wait 'til they just crawl in if they've already established their real estate, then blast 'em (but there may be better methods).

Thanks, I'll just use what we have here already. I'll be blasting away shortly! :howdy:

Painting is better at prevention than staining. Just keep after them as you don't want them laying eggs in the holes that they bore, breeding even more to bedevil your wood!

Oh well, too late for the painting vs staining. I'll keep after them, never knew bee's could be so destructive. Didn't have this issue up in NY, maybe I was just lucky. Thanks!

nomoney

Those bastages are killing me this year. Have used the bb gun and its worked :lol: going to buy a racket just for the entertainment.

C

CalvertNewbie

Those bastages are killing me this year. Have used the bb gun and its worked :lol: going to buy a racket just for the entertainment.

Yeah, I liked the ping pong/tennis idea too. Swatting them with my paint brush and sand paper isn't nearly as fun as that would be. Maybe I'll try squirting them with a water gun. :killingme