Septic tank question

edinsomd

Time to have it pumped. Since I don't know exactly where the critter is, how much can I expect to spend for service to find and pump? TIA.

Time to have it pumped. Since I don't know exactly where the critter is, how much can I expect to spend for service to find and pump? TIA.

They'll push a metal rod into the ground to find the box and tank lid. I think it's part of the price. Shouldn't cost extra.

glhs837

Power with Control
Correct. If the excavation to unearth it is excessive, they might toss on a $50-$60 dollar charge, but they are pretty good, if you can point in the general direction of the system, they should have no problem finding it.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Correct. If the excavation to unearth it is excessive, they might toss on a $50-$60 dollar charge, but they are pretty good, if you can point in the general direction of the system, they should have no problem finding it.

You should be able to get information from the health dept in your county. They should have records of where your septic is. In my case, I called Calvert and the very nice young lady offered to send them to me in the mail.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
You should be able to get information from the health dept in your county. They should have records of where your septic is. In my case, I called Calvert and the very nice young lady offered to send them to me in the mail.

We did the same thing but later found out that the records showed where the septic was SUPPOSE to be, not where it actually is. Our house was suppose to sit at a slant on our property (like this /)but when the house was built, they put it "straight" (like this --). Therefore, our septic tank is too close to our house and it's right in the way of building a deck off the sliding glass door on the back of our house.

OldHillcrestGuy

My son was going to have his tank pumped, but discovered its at least 4ft or more below the surface of the ground same with his neighbors had to get backhoe in there to locate the tank.

C

CalvertNewbie

We're getting ours pumped by Copseys next week. They're the company our realtor called for us before we moved in almost 3 yrs ago so we're just using them again.

They charge $225 for the pump and if they have to dig, $20 a foot. They told me that in general in Calvert, they normally only have to dig 1-2 feet. Sometimes in SMC and Charles, it may be deeper due to different county codes. If you know approximately where it is, they'll poke around for it until they find it at no additional charge.

edinsomd

Thanks for all the responses, even the horror stories. Nancy T. over at St. Mary's Office of Environmental Health was more than helpful in getting my septic specifics:howdy:, and Copseys are coming over Monday.

OldHillcrestGuy

We're getting ours pumped by Copseys next week. They're the company our realtor called for us before we moved in almost 3 yrs ago so we're just using them again.

Sure hope you dont get the wrong Copsey. If its a Copsey make sure its Copseys Septic Tank Service T/A Jimmy Gates. :yay:

OldHillcrestGuy

What is your quarrel with Eugene's service? They were recommended to me, so I am curious.

You gotta be careful with them, they will not fully pump your tank, my son had a big problem with them earlier this year, my son not ever having to have his tank pumped called them by mistake, thought he was calling Jimmy Gates, they came and were only there for 15-20 minutes and left within 24 hours his tank was full again. When someone pumps your tank if he is not there 45-60 minutes, he is not fully pumping the tank.

They put drain fields in my yard several years ago, I had problems within one year, Mr Copsey wasnt the least bit helpful or interested in my problems.

Few years back 2 of his plumbers were doing work in a home in Mechcanicsville, with pipes in a bathroom, caught the insulation on fire house proably had about $250,000 worth of damage. :shrug:

You cant go wrong with Jimmy Gates, or Daves Septic out of LaPlata.

edinsomd

Done- $225 and an extra $50 for locating and a deep dig. Five more years of happy flushing, thanks Copsey's!

C

CalvertNewbie

You gotta be careful with them, they will not fully pump your tank, my son had a big problem with them earlier this year, my son not ever having to have his tank pumped called them by mistake, thought he was calling Jimmy Gates, they came and were only there for 15-20 minutes and left within 24 hours his tank was full again. When someone pumps your tank if he is not there 45-60 minutes, he is not fully pumping the tank.

They put drain fields in my yard several years ago, I had problems within one year, Mr Copsey wasnt the least bit helpful or interested in my problems.

Few years back 2 of his plumbers were doing work in a home in Mechcanicsville, with pipes in a bathroom, caught the insulation on fire house proably had about $250,000 worth of damage. :shrug:

You cant go wrong with Jimmy Gates, or Daves Septic out of LaPlata.

Wow, what a nightmare! Luckily, I got the "right" one. Didn't even know there was more than one, thanks for the heads up. They come out tomorrow.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Absolutely, positively do NOT go to Earnshaw Brothers for any septic work, or any other service they may provide.

They withheld too much money from an escrow hold-back account, and they have yet to provide me with a detailed receipt/bill for their services. I've asked for a detailed receipt/bill THREE times, but I still don't have it.

Again, do no business with EARNSHAW BROTHERS. :nono:

Businesses who try to rip people off make me want to scream their name from the rooftop to prevent anyone else from getting ripped off, too.

Last edited: