Sponsored by moveon.org

B

Bruzilla

Oh darn... I can't view them. I guess I'll have to rely on Michael Moore's and Janine Barfalo's best judgements. :biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The Hitler one is hysterical. Serious - look at it when you get a chance. It is my fervent hope that Howard Dean will use this as a campaign commercial! :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
They've removed the Hitler ones. From Yahoo (Reuters):

US Liberal Group Sorry for Hitler/Bush Comparison

LOS ANGELES - The liberal advocacy group MoveOn.org, often a lightning rod for opposition to the Iraq war, apologized Monday for posting two political messages on the Internet comparing President Bush to Hitler.

One ad mixed images of Hitler and Nazi militarism with Bush taking the oath of office and equated German war crimes of 1945 with Bush's foreign policy. The other quoted Hitler and Bush as saying they acted in God's name to vanquish their enemies.

After being roundly denounced by Jewish leaders and Republicans, MoveOn.org issued a mea culpa saying the two ads were in poor taste. But the group said they had been displayed in error as part of a contest inviting members of the public to create and send in their own ideas for anti-Bush television spots.

Neither of the two ads was ever aired on TV and by Monday had been removed from the "Bush in 30 Seconds" Web site (www.bushin30seconds.org) set up by the MoveOn.org Voter Fund.

The head of the Voter Fund, Wes Boyd, said his group posted more than 1,500 entries in all submitted by "ordinary Americans" and that the two Hitler spots "slipped through our screening process." :confused:

"None of these was our ad, nor did their appearance constitute endorsement or sponsorship by MoveOn.org Voter Fund," Boyd's statement said. "We do not support the sentiment expressed in the two Hitler submissions."

He accused Republican leaders of a "maliciously misleading" attempt to cast the two Hitler ads as sponsored by his group.

Nevertheless, the leaders of three major Jewish groups -- the Anti-Defamation League, the American Jewish Congress and the Simon Wiesenthal Center -- roundly criticized MoveOn for placing the Hitler ads on the Internet.

They and Republican National Committee Chairman Ed Gillespie all seized on MoveOn.org's own pledge in the ground rules for its "Bush in 30 Seconds" contest not to "post anything that would be in inappropriate for television."

"To compare the president of the United States, his fight against al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein, with the politics of Hitler is ... shameful, it is beyond the pale, and has no place in the legitimate discourse of American politics," said Rabbi Marvin Hier, the founder and dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center.

Hier, Gillespie and other critics of MoveOn also demanded that Democrats seeking the presidential nomination in 2004 should speak out to renounce the Hitler ads.

MoveOn.org said Monday it was going ahead with its contest. It said the winning entry will be picked by a panel of celebrities and political pundits, including comedian Al Franken, documentary filmmaker Michael Moore and Democratic political strategist James Carville.

The winning spot will be announced at a gala event Jan. 12 in New York and will be aired as a paid political commercial during the week of Bush's upcoming State of the Union address.

It is not the first time Bush has been compared to Hitler. In 2002, Germany's Justice Minister, Herta Daeubler-Gmelin, resigned after creating an uproar by likening Bush's saber-rattling over Iraq to Hitler's use of foreign policy to conceal domestic woes.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Typical political dirty pool from a hit and run organization like moveon.org. I think everyone should salute Moore, Carville, and that hack comedian with a big ol' wave! (C'mon just extend your right arm straight out. . .) Heil Hillary!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Lying sacks of...

...male cow dung.

"None of these was our ad, nor did their appearance constitute endorsement or sponsorship by MoveOn.org Voter Fund," Boyd's statement said. "We do not support the sentiment expressed in the two Hitler submissions."

I posted it as 'Sponsored by moveon' because that was ON the video when I watched it.

I swear, these people all argue for free speech, to have their opinions heard and then notice is taken, people hear how they really feel and, viola, 'oh, we didn't mean that'.

And the peice de resistance is that it is somehow...

He accused Republican leaders of a "maliciously misleading" attempt to cast the two Hitler ads as sponsored by his group.

...ALWAYS the Republicans fault.

Grover Nordquist is lambasted today by King Richard Cohen in the Washpost for using a Nazi analogy in trying to get the death tax (inheritance tax) abolished.

Grover says the tax is accepted by regular Americans because it is grossly unfair to only a few people and therefore OK, just like regular Germans accepted the Holocaust because it started out grossly unfair to just a few.

His point stands: The rich now are better off in a financial sense and loathing of them is promoted in this country. Jews suffered similar rhetoric before the violence started.

So moveon, what is it, you've changed your minds about your point? Or don't have the conviction to stand up for your views?
Maybe someone can send in a Clinton rape video or shots of Chinese missiles landing on LA thanks to Bill and Loral.

Then...

the group said they had been displayed in error as part of a contest inviting members of the public to create and send in their own ideas

Somehow, I don't think they'd miss those.