Snakehead Fish In The Bay?

royhobie

hobieflyer
There have been some reports of snakehead fish in the Breton Bay area, and that they migrated down the Potomac River in to the Bay. There are some unconfirmed reports of several creeks off of the Bay around the Potomac as having snakeheads that were caught. If you catch one, remember, the State said to kill them immeidately. If true, I wonder about the recovering crabbing population along with small fish of other types.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Jeremy Wade covered this issue on "River Monsters" (APL). (In fact, that episode is on right this moment.)

The species that has become established in the Mid-Atlantic is the Northern Snakehead, bred to survive colder waters. In Florida, they have beome very prevalent, working their way up into many canals.

Killing them is a good idea, but they are already settled in MD, PA and NY. And, as Jeremy Wade pointed out, "They have no predators in the United States and, alarmingly, a female snakehead can produce over 100,000 young in a year." Makes it an uphill battle, to say the least.

oldman

Lobster Land
They can obviously live in tidal waters and I think they have become to numerous that we could possibly get rid of them. They are reported to be great fighters on a rod/reel as well as good eating. I've targeted them once with no luck. If/when I do catch one I'll kill it and bring it home for a taste test.

They can obviously live in tidal waters and I think they have become to numerous that we could possibly get rid of them. They are reported to be great fighters on a rod/reel as well as good eating. I've targeted them once with no luck. If/when I do catch one I'll kill it and bring it home for a taste test.

They are a game fish in Asia, but he concern is the bass.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Aren't they a freshwater fish?
The water around Colton's Point, Breton/St. Clements Bay's north to the 301 bridge are what's considered "brackish". Sort of between salt and fresh. The further south you go, the higher the salinity.

oldman

Lobster Land
They are a game fish in Asia, but he concern is the bass.

I know that was a big concern from the beginning but from all I've read, seen and heard I see no proof they eat bass any more than any other species might. I would expect with all the DNR shocking them for study they would know what they are eating but have heard nothing to this point.

royhobie

hobieflyer
There is a concern about them eating the small crabs, similar to the rockfish. They will certainly out bread any other species of fish. With this in mind, in time they may very likely push out other species. As for the water, the salinity is something they can adapt to. These are very unique fish. Remember, they have the ability to live out of water for a period of time. I know of no other fish with this ability. We, the public, can kill can or eat as many as we can find. There will be thousands to every one we kill it sounds like. The only way to get rid of them, is to eliminate their food source. Their food source is every fish the bay has to offer. If they are hunger enough, and all the other food is gone, I wonder if they would attack skates? Wouldn't that be nice. Their teeth are certainly strong enough to tear them a part. The State does not believe they will be a threat to people. That is until something happened?

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
There is a concern about them eating the small crabs, similar to the rockfish. They will certainly out bread any other species of fish. With this in mind, in time they may very likely push out other species. As for the water, the salinity is something they can adapt to. These are very unique fish. Remember, they have the ability to live out of water for a period of time. I know of no other fish with this ability. We, the public, can kill can or eat as many as we can find. There will be thousands to every one we kill it sounds like. The only way to get rid of them, is to eliminate their food source. Their food source is every fish the bay has to offer. If they are hunger enough, and all the other food is gone, I wonder if they would attack skates? Wouldn't that be nice. Their teeth are certainly strong enough to tear them a part. The State does not believe they will be a threat to people. That is until something happened?

Also from Asia...the walking catfish.

Walking catfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's funny, just a year ago (or so) it was all about catching and killing the snakehead. Now, it's all about how tasty they might be.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
Also from Asia...the walking catfish.

Walking catfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's funny, just a year ago (or so) it was all about catching and killing the snakehead. Now, it's all about how tasty they might be.
This is from a fact sheet that can be viewed at : Northern Snakehead

Snakeheads are a popular food fish in Asia, and are regularly raised in aquaculture settings and sold in fish markets. Most North Americans seem to agree, despite disagreeing with Asians about the palatability of carps. Anglers should be warned that there are consumption advisories for most Potomac River species (e.g. no more than two meals per month, no consumption by pregnant women) because of contaminant levels, though to my knowledge tests have not been done for contaminant levels in snakehead muscle tissue. It may be possible to refer to consumption advisories for largemouth bass, though snakeheads are on average a larger fish, and larger individuals have the highest contaminant levels. It is common to find large curled red parasite worms in the flesh of northern snakeheads from the Potomac River, and though unappetizing they are not harmful to humans if they are cooked or cut out of the flesh prior to cooking.

My thought is that if Asian Carp are running all over the northen Mississippi and other nearby waters in that region and the snakehead is running rampant all over the Eastern Seaboard's fresh waters, why aren't we gathering them up and selling the catch to China? The Chinese swear by the taste of these things that most people here wouldn't touch, so catch as many as we can and send them home on ice or to other areas of the world that have food shortages.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
That episode of River Monsters has me interested in catching some of these little bastards. Looks like they have a lot of fight.

Any actual sightings??

That episode of River Monsters has me interested in catching some of these little bastards. Looks like they have a lot of fight.

Any actual sightings??

SpecimenID 269623
Group Fishes
Genus Channa
Species argus
Common Name northern snakehead
State MD
County St. Marys
Locality St. Marys River, at mouth off Kitts Point
HUC8 Name Lower Potomac
HUC8 Number 2070011
Latitude 38.107547
Longitude -76.444244
Lat-Long Source Map derived
Lat-Long Accuracy Approximate

Check your thread for the link.

There have been some reports of snakehead fish in the Breton Bay area, and that they migrated down the Potomac River in to the Bay. There are some unconfirmed reports of several creeks off of the Bay around the Potomac as having snakeheads that were caught. If you catch one, remember, the State said to kill them immeidately. If true, I wonder about the recovering crabbing population along with small fish of other types.

I don't know who is reporting them to whom, but these guys should be getting the info from MD DNR.

Nonindigenous Aquatic Species

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Damn! The 2 caught at the mouth of St. Mary's river were 21" and weighed 4-8 pounds. They're eating well!

We here in MD will probably have to buy a special stamp to catch them and a size/creel limit. :buddies:

Lan

I haven't gone fishing in years, and don't own a fishing pole anymore.

Sounds like fun trying to kill these bastards.

What kind of bait/lure would be best for this guys? From just reading this thread they sound like they're pretty versatile creatures that'd eat mostly anything...