Why must critters die?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Those of you trolling the threads for some place to make a snide comment are NOT welcome unless you have money to invest to back up your interest in this subject .... so shut up :shutup: or pay up .....

Alright so sometimes the critter being "humanely euthanized" is justified (mental or physical health), but in the majority of cases that is NOT TRUE - we are KILLING perfectly loving pets due to lack of a home.

How do we solve this in the case of dogs and cats? Do we make spay/neuter a government sponsored (paid) RIGHT for all? Seems like we'd spend LESS to control the population than to manage it?

I mean really ... How far have we come with reducing the numbers we have to KILL each year?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Do we make spay/neuter a government sponsored (paid) RIGHT for all? Seems like we'd spend LESS to control the population than to manage it?

Animals don't have rights.

People have a responsibility to take care of their property but society seems to constantly remove any penalty for being irresponsible.

RPMDAD

Those of you trolling the threads for some place to make a snide comment are NOT welcome unless you have money to invest to back up your interest in this subject .... so shut up :shutup: or pay up .....

Alright so sometimes the critter being "humanely euthanized" is justified (mental or physical health), but in the majority of cases that is NOT TRUE - we are KILLING perfectly loving pets due to lack of a home.

How do we solve this in the case of dogs and cats? Do we make spay/neuter a government sponsored (paid) RIGHT for all? Seems like we'd spend LESS to control the population than to manage it?

I mean really ... How far have we come with reducing the numbers we have to KILL each year?

ArkRescue i am so sorry that your first reply came from someone that couldn't respect your first request and obviously has no respect for animals or pets "Those of you trolling the threads for some place to make a snide comment are NOT welcome " and i do feel that animals have rights. I personally do not have an answer to your question though. We currently have 6, 3 dogs and 3 cats and some have been saved. I totally respect and try to support all the no kill animal rescue leagues and shelters and when there is a little money left over try to do donate either money or supplies and food. I totally respect what you and others do. Our biggest dream here is if finances ever make it possible we would be fostering and even sheltering all the animals we could but regretfully we can't aford that currently. Best wishes and good luck to you and yours. I respect all the work you do and everything you stand for. The biggest problem of all regretfully is irresonsible human beings.

Last edited:

mAlice

professional daydreamer

I'm sure that having that chip on your shoulder isn't helping the rescue business.

TurboK9

They don't, they are property. You're feelings don't change the law.

He's right, as was his first response. Like it or not, we DON'T hold owners responsible. And that would be a good first step to solving the problem. Why aren't people whose pets are 'deposited' in rescues and pounds not held responsible for the pets upkeep? The majority of these animals are the result of irresponsible conduct on the part of humans after all. Why are there not provisions to put some weight there? Make them pay upkeep, or a fine, or something.

No, animals don't have 'rights' legally. That does not mean, however, that we should be free to treat them with disdain, neglect, abuse, or breed them willy nilly and toss unwanted pups off a bridge or let that unwanted horse starve or kitten wander the subdivion making more kittens.

Punish trhe people who create the problem, and a large part of the problem will 'dissappear' when people start to realize it's no longer free.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

If it was a problem last year, the year before last, and even 20 years ago, I'd say we aren't killing enough of them.

Yeah, but your answer is fine.. make sure EVERYONE has to pay for what you conceive as a problem. You say don't reply unless you can put up, but then you suggest I put up involuntarily?? REALLY? I assume with an answer like that you must be a liberal nutjob too.. Make sure we take care of the problem with the FREE money the gov't can supply.

Another solution would be to have the gov't make the ownership of these animals illegal and destroy all of them.. how's THAT for government involvement? You ask for them to come in the door, and when they do you get what you deserve.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Actually it would SAVE the gov't money by actually reducing the problem overall. Spend money NOW to save money later. You know? We already pay taxes to support many things we don't all agree on, but it happens anyway. I prefer to not pay for housing and groceries for people who don't want to work for a living, but I do.

..... even with all the rescues there are ... there doesn't seem to be enough money to get the problem under control. Sadly over-population seems like it's STILL going to be an issue 20 years from now. There doesn't seem to be an end in sight. That's the saddest part - we will still be working hard to find homes for pets in the coming years, when if addressed properly, the problem could be greatly reduced by more funding for spay/neuter support.

If it was a problem last year, the year before last, and even 20 years ago, I'd say we aren't killing enough of them.

Yeah, but your answer is fine.. make sure EVERYONE has to pay for what you conceive as a problem. You say don't reply unless you can put up, but then you suggest I put up involuntarily?? REALLY? I assume with an answer like that you must be a liberal nutjob too.. Make sure we take care of the problem with the FREE money the gov't can supply.

Another solution would be to have the gov't make the ownership of these animals illegal and destroy all of them.. how's THAT for government involvement? You ask for them to come in the door, and when they do you get what you deserve.

Dogs that contribute to society, i.e. K-9 and seeing eye dogs, are cared for.

It's the layabouts who don't want to work for a living, and have exhausted the patience of the people they are sponging off, that are subject to euthanasia.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Actually it would SAVE the gov't money by actually reducing the problem overall. Spend money NOW to save money later. You know? We already pay taxes to support many things we don't all agree on, but it happens anyway. I prefer to not pay for housing and groceries for people who don't want to work for a living, but I do.

..... even with all the rescues there are ... there doesn't seem to be enough money to get the problem under control. Sadly over-population seems like it's STILL going to be an issue 20 years from now. There doesn't seem to be an end in sight. That's the saddest part - we will still be working hard to find homes for pets in the coming years, when if addressed properly, the problem could be greatly reduced by more funding for spay/neuter support.

And WHY should it be a gov't problem?? If I call and there's a stray loose in my neighborhood, and the laws prevent me from shooting it myself, then yeah, they (Gov't) should have the ability to come kill it instead of me doing it.

Rescues? Neutering? Finding homes?? If it's cheaper to kill them (they ARE animals after all) then why spend money on trying to "fix the problem". Maybe we should try an export business to Korea and China, and make our problem a source of income instead a source of debt.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Well there's no perfect answer to this, as we all have differing views, but killing them ALL isn't the right answer :shocked: ..... in MY view. Most people would agree with me. If we can take steps to reduce the future births of pets then that's the best solution all around.

And WHY should it be a gov't problem?? If I call and there's a stray loose in my neighborhood, and the laws prevent me from shooting it myself, then yeah, they (Gov't) should have the ability to come kill it instead of me doing it.

Rescues? Neutering? Finding homes?? If it's cheaper to kill them (they ARE animals after all) then why spend money on trying to "fix the problem". Maybe we should try an export business to Korea and China, and make our problem a source of income instead a source of debt.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Well there's no perfect answer to this, as we all have differing views, but killing them ALL isn't the right answer :shocked: ..... in MY view. Most people would agree with me. If we can take steps to reduce the future births of pets then that's the best solution all around.

So should we teach them abstinence, or sex ed during their housebreaking years?

You may call them pets, but others call them dinner.

DEEKAYPEE8569

He's right, as was his first response. Like it or not, we DON'T hold owners responsible. And that would be a good first step to solving the problem. Why aren't people whose pets are 'deposited' in rescues and pounds not held responsible for the pets upkeep? The majority of these animals are the result of irresponsible conduct on the part of humans after all. Why are there not provisions to put some weight there? Make them pay upkeep, or a fine, or something.

No, animals don't have 'rights' legally. That does not mean, however, that we should be free to treat them with disdain, neglect, abuse, or breed them willy nilly and toss unwanted pups off a bridge or let that unwanted horse starve or kitten wander the subdivion making more kittens.

Punish trhe people who create the problem, and a large part of the problem will 'dissappear' when people start to realize it's no longer free

I know this is gonna sound ridiculous, but every time I see Sarah McLachlan's commercial; with the little scruffy pup and the kitty in the cage; I get choked up and pi**ed off at the same time because I know that that kinda crap happens.

IMO, people who beat, starve; otherwise neglect; or kill animals just because they don't want them or whatever reason; need to be taken out back o' the woodshed and themselves be beaten.....with a Louisville Slugger.

If I could, I'd take in strays and go adopt all the dogs and cats in the pound.....anything bigger'n that.....well, I just don't have the room.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If I could, I'd take in strays and go adopt all the dogs and cats in the pound.....anything bigger'n that.....well, I just don't have the room.

Just send me all your money, I'll tell you I adopted ALL of them and you won't EVER have to worry about it again, as long as the checks keep coming.

You can feel good that you are doing your part, and well, I can just feel good.