Psychology Study?

AmericanMom

Keep out!
I was just wondering if the news or scientists have conducted any studies regarding children in Military homes.

Are children affected by moving from place to place every few years? Is there a higher rate of psychological disorders in these children than non military children?

I've tried searching the internet and all I've found are studies of kids whose parent is deployed for extended periods of time, or fighting in the war.

Any help, links, etc are greatly appreciated!!! :flowers:

RPMDAD

I was just wondering if the news or scientists have conducted any studies regarding children in Military homes.

Are children affected by moving from place to place every few years? Is there a higher rate of psychological disorders in these children than non military children?

I've tried searching the internet and all I've found are studies of kids whose parent is deployed for extended periods of time, or fighting in the war.

Found this it has some links in it and refers to several studies and books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_brat_(U.S._subculture)

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

The rate of psychological disorders is the same for the population, however several studies I have seen have shown that behavioral disorders are more prevelant ie acting out, agression etc. I can't access my journal search at the moment..or I would give you links. But really there are so many confounding factors in this type of research..that studies are really quite useless.

AmericanMom

Keep out!
The rate of psychological disorders is the same for the population, however several studies I have seen have shown that behavioral disorders are more prevelant ie acting out, agression etc. I can't access my journal search at the moment..or I would give you links. But really there are so many confounding factors in this type of research..that studies are really quite useless.

Well I'm just hoping to find something... anything...

AmericanMom

Keep out!
Interesting and so true...

Accordingly, this group is shaped by frequent moves, absence of a parent, authoritarian family dynamics, strong patriarchal authority, threat of parental loss in war, and a militarized family unit.[5] While non-military families share many of these same attributes, military culture is unique due to the tightly knit communities that perceive these traits as normal. Military culture can have a long-term impact on children

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Well I'm just hoping to find something... anything...

If I get a chance this evening I will access my journal search and see what I can find for you. Most studies are not freely available online..mostly they are referenced in articles skewing the findings:killingme but there are several journals dedicated to military issues. So if youa re doing some sort of research and you have time, you can always check with the library and order articles.

AmericanMom

Keep out!
If I get a chance this evening I will access my journal search and see what I can find for you. Most studies are not freely available online..mostly they are referenced in articles skewing the findings:killingme but there are several journals dedicated to military issues. So if youa re doing some sort of research and you have time, you can always check with the library and order articles.

I was a Military Brat for 17 years. Or once you are a brat you're always a brat? :lol:

Agee

Grew up with two stepfathers, both career Navy. The best times of these experiences was when they were out to sea!

One word from growing-up in these situations:

DYSFUNCTIONAL!!!

royhobie

hobieflyer
I did some research on this before the base hired a school liason who works at the Familiy Services Center at NAS Patuxent River. Her name is Brooke Fallon. She is a good POC for this question. A short answer to your question, is yes, but depending upon the circumstances, such as siblings, ages, parental communication with the child, present, or is it lacking, and other significant factors all have an involvement in the proper answer to this question. In young children, watch for their expression of anger, depression and other psychological expressions in their paintings. Children love to paint and use it as a method of escape and also expressing themselves. A lot can be learned from this, which Child psychologists are attempting to better understand. Good luck.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
several studies I have seen have shown that behavioral disorders are more prevelant
This makes me think of a recent case of one of the "hoarding" shows. One lady said she had grown up in a military home, moving rather frequently. She began hoarding after one of their moves, and the problem escalated the older she got. In her mind, she did not feel safe forming relationships with people because they were so often ripped apart, so she attached herself to things; the more things she got and the longer she held onto them the more comforted she felt.

AmericanMom

Keep out!
This makes me think of a recent case of one of the "hoarding" shows. One lady said she had grown up in a military home, moving rather frequently. She began hoarding after one of their moves, and the problem escalated the older she got. In her mind, she did not feel safe forming relationships with people because they were so often ripped apart, so she attached herself to things; the more things she got and the longer she held onto them the more comforted she felt.

What an awesome concept. I wish I had seen that!

I wouldn't say I'm a "hoarder" BUT I keep a lot of stuff. In my basement are rubbermaid tubs full of my past. Medals from Volksmarches, Postcards from Amsterdam, photo albums of a trip to Paris, journals from over 2 decades.

I had someone ask me the other day why I kept all those journals and I explained to her... that those journals are my link to my past. Memories fade. I read what I wrote about a trip to Paris, and half of the stuff I hardly remember, and it's the journals that keep it alive. I can't drive past old neighborhoods, see old friends, or old homes. It was all taken away, over and over and over. So my "things" are all I have.

This is why I am really interested in the psychology of the Military Brat subculture. Myself, my brothers, my brat friends... I think we could understand ourselves a little better if we look at our lives from this point of view.