Are they kidding???? Too 'professorial' ?

Language guru: Obama speech too 'professorial' for his target audience - CNN.com

(CNN) -- President Obama's speech on the gulf oil disaster may have gone over the heads of many in his audience, according to an analysis of the 18-minute talk released Wednesday.

Tuesday night's speech from the Oval Office of the White House was written to a 9.8 grade level......

UFB. I thought he didn't say enough about anything important, just re-hashed everything we already knew. How could what he said be over the heads of most of the listening audience???????

SamSpade

Language guru: Obama speech too 'professorial' for his target audience - CNN.com

UFB. I thought he didn't say enough about anything important, just re-hashed everything we already knew. How could what he said be over the heads of most of the listening audience???????

The crucial phrase is "target audience". If you're dumb enough to think that Obama pays you money from his personal stash, using any word with more than two syllables might be too much. That's why the campaign said "Yes We Can".

I re-read it. The 'target audience' is the South and Gulf Coast states. So basically, he dumbed down his speech for them, and Paul J.J. Payack implied to the world that they are unintelligent idiots that couldn't understand the speech.

This is why the US is failing educationally and socially. We dumb down instead of raising the bar.

Toxick

Splat

Because most of the listening audience was drooling into their 16 gallon tub of popcorn or flicking their cigarette ashes into their 7th illegitimate child's playpen.

B

Bronwyn

I re-read it. The 'target audience' is the South and Gulf Coast states. So basically, he dumbed down his speech for them, and Paul J.J. Payack implied to the world that they are unintelligent idiots that couldn't understand the speech.

This is why the US is failing educationally and socially. We dumb down instead of raising the bar.

He didn't dumb it down at all. His speaches in the past were graded at more of a 7th grade level, and they stated that this was one of his highest graded speeches.

I worked with a dumbazz bi&*^ that used to use really big words in every conversation to impress people, and try to show that she was superior to everyone.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The crucial phrase is "target audience". If you're dumb enough to think that Obama pays you money from his personal stash, using any word with more than two syllables might be too much. That's why the campaign said "Yes We Can".

:lol:

SamSpade

I worked with a dumbazz bi&*^ that used to use really big words in every conversation to impress people, and try to show that she was superior to everyone.

My experience has been there's two kinds of those folks. Intellectuals who honestly don't realize it, because they always talk that way - and wannabes who deliberately insert big words because they think it impresses people.

The second group almost ALWAYS uses some of those words in the wrong context. They're pretty easy to spot after a while.

B

Bronwyn

My experience has been there's two kinds of those folks. Intellectuals who honestly don't realize it, because they always talk that way - and wannabes who deliberately insert big words because they think it impresses people.

The second group almost ALWAYS uses some of those words in the wrong context. They're pretty easy to spot after a while.

Oh, she was obvious. She couldn't say that her computer was broken. She had to say "My Desktop Computer has been calculatingly malfunctioning today."

And she wasn't doing it to be funny :lol:

Toxick

Splat

This is so true. Pseudo-intellectional are almost always speak in a confabulated manner that is quite easy to spot by those with vocabulance.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
This is so true. Pseudo-intellectional are almost always speak in a confabulated manner that is quite easy to spot by those with vocabulance.

I have enunciation issues. :ohwell: Some people think I have an accent. I don't want to tell them I have an accent and a lisp and a stuttering problem. So I use little words. :dance: And then when they think I'm an idiot, I :biggrin:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

There is at least one more kind; politicians. Obama speaks anyway he chooses to a wide range of audiences. It's up to his target to say how well he spoke 'their' language.

Speaking for the pseudo intellectual semi sophisticated central Maryland redneck audience, I think he is full of ####. But then, I thought Bush and McCain and Clinton were, too.

Toxick

Splat
I have enunciation issues. :ohwell: Some people think I have an accent. I don't want to tell them I have an accent and a lisp and a stuttering problem. So I use little words. :dance: And then when they think I'm an idiot, I :biggrin:

It's good to have people underestimate you. That way they never see you coming.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Oh, she was obvious. She couldn't say that her computer was broken. She had to say "My Desktop Computer has been calculatingly malfunctioning today."

And she wasn't doing it to be funny :lol:

So she thought the computer was doing it on purpose? :killingme

I get accused of speaking like a dictionary sometimes..but it's only because I have the vocabulary to express myself in more detail. But I don't use words that I don't know what they mean..lol.