Winfrey on oil disaster: Obama's doing best he can

Matthew

. It must be a downer to find out (or wake up to reality) that he is just a man and NOT THE MESSIAH. I giggle when I think of that picture of her and Jesse Jackson on election night.
Now their boy is just shown to be an incompetent blowhard.
Hey Europe...YOU WANT HIM NOW !?!

Toxick

Splat
"I think the president is doing the best anybody can," said Winfrey, who campaigned for Obama when he ran for president. "I really don't understand what people want him to do? I think he's the president of the United States.

:confused: She's not sure if he's the president?

Winfrey on oil disaster: Obama's doing best he can - CNN.com

Almost the same story - word for word - was published 5 years ago:

Oprah Winfrey gave her support to those suffering in the Gulf states, saying President Bush is doing the best he can to handle the Katrina disaster.

"What's going on in my heart is the same thing, everyone feels for what is happening to all of the fisherman and families who, this time of year, would be hosting people from all over the country and all over the world there," said Winfrey, who was in Atlanta, Georgia, on Wednesday to speak at a middle school graduation.

"We can only hope and pray that this will soon be resolved in a way that people can pick themselves up and move forward," Winfrey added.

The talk show host said she has heard the criticism of Bush's handling of the hurricane crisis. Winfrey, not really an avid supporter of the president, said he is doing a good job.

"I think the president is doing the best anybody can," said Winfrey, who didn't campaign for Bush when he ran for president. "I really don't understand what people want him to do? I think he's the president of the United States.

"You're not supposed to be emotional, you're supposed to take action and get things done and make sure those things happen so I'm not sure what people want him to do," she said.

The hurricane began after an August 23rd tropical storm grew into a Category 3 hurricane over the Gulf of Mexico. The winds and subsequent flooding caused New Orleans to sink two days later, rupturing the pipes and sending cajun hot-sauce spilling everywhere.

Winfrey said she has been saddened by television reports of those affected by the weather disaster.

"What is happening not only to the people but to the animals is what breaks my heart," Winfrey said.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
She's not sure if he's the president?
She did continue that sentence: "... you're not supposed to be emotional. You're supposed to take action and get things done and make sure those things happen." Matthew got it right in that she is learning that he is merely human.

Almost the same word for word.....so Oprah has a speech writer/press secretary.
A self-plagiarizing one, at that. :lol:

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Bush reacted 50 days earlier and didn't call for immediate congressional hearings against Mother Nature! :coffee:

TurboK9

Bush reacted 50 days earlier and didn't call for immediate congressional hearings against Mother Nature! :coffee:

Well that, and Bush wasn't reacting to the disaster, but rather to the failing of first Ray Nagin and the the governer of Louisiana to protect and provide relief. Ray Nagin claimed he had no way to evacuate all the lower income folks... but BEFORE the hurricane, none of those school buses were under water.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Well that, and Bush wasn't reacting to the disaster, but rather to the failing of first Ray Nagin and the the governer of Louisiana to protect and provide relief. Ray Nagin claimed he had no way to evacuate all the lower income folks... but BEFORE the hurricane, none of those school buses were under water.

True... :buddies:

Mayor Nagin was criticized for allegedly failing to execute the New Orleans disaster plan, which called for the use of the city's school buses in evacuating residents unable to leave on their own. The city never deployed the buses, which were subsequently destroyed in the flooding.

On Saturday August 27, several hours after the last regularly scheduled train left New Orleans, Amtrak ran a special train to move equipment out of the city. The train had room for several hundred passengers, and Amtrak offered these spaces to the city, but the city declined them, so the train left New Orleans at 8:30 p.m., with no passengers on board.[66]

Criticism of government response to Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SamSpade

I know it doesn't fly in today's politics, but when someone says "the buck stops with me", "I take full responsibility" and makes numerous promises over how it will be fixed and resolved - yes, the onus is on him to do something about it AND to take blame should it fail.

When you assume responsibility for something, it's in your hands. If you took the responsibility away from someone else, too freakin' bad. It's your job now. You don't get to say it's my responsibility BUT it's their fault.

acommondisaster

Who gives a flip if a talk show host thinks he's doing a good job. She says this while she's living her luxurious lifestyle, not from a boat in the Louisiana wetlands that are being destroyed, in part by his slow reaction to the accident. What the he** does she know? Stick to diets and relationship councellors, Oprah hon.

The fact is, I could send the 5 year old kid next door down there to do "the best he can do" and it would be overwhelming for him, too - I think the same is true for this president. It's out of his skill set because he can't fix this by reading from a teleprompter.

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
"I think the president is doing the best anybody can," said Winfrey, who campaigned for Obama when he ran for president. "I really don't understand what people want him to do? I think he's the president of the United States.

:confused: She's not sure if he's the president?

Winfrey on oil disaster: Obama's doing best he can - CNN.com

I have an idea why not let the oil keep running it should run dry sooner or later. And then go round up all of the UK citizens and make them clean up the spill.:buddies:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I have an idea why not let the oil keep running it should run dry sooner or later. And then go round up all of the UK citizens and make them clean up the spill.:buddies:

I don't think going to war with England and enslaving British citizens is a very good plan.

I'm a little surprised that you would support slavery

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
I don't think going to war with England and enslaving British citizens is a very good plan.

I'm a little surprised that you would support slavery

Can we at least go pick up Queen Elizabeth and get her to help clean up the spill?:popcorn:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Almost the same story - word for word - was published 5 years ago:

Oprah Winfrey gave her support to those suffering in the Gulf states, saying President Bush is doing the best he can to handle the Katrina disaster.

"What's going on in my heart is the same thing, everyone feels for what is happening to all of the fisherman and families who, this time of year, would be hosting people from all over the country and all over the world there," said Winfrey, who was in Atlanta, Georgia, on Wednesday to speak at a middle school graduation.

"We can only hope and pray that this will soon be resolved in a way that people can pick themselves up and move forward," Winfrey added.

The talk show host said she has heard the criticism of Bush's handling of the hurricane crisis. Winfrey, not really an avid supporter of the president, said he is doing a good job.

"I think the president is doing the best anybody can," said Winfrey, who didn't campaign for Bush when he ran for president. "I really don't understand what people want him to do? I think he's the president of the United States.

"You're not supposed to be emotional, you're supposed to take action and get things done and make sure those things happen so I'm not sure what people want him to do," she said.

The hurricane began after an August 23rd tropical storm grew into a Category 3 hurricane over the Gulf of Mexico. The winds and subsequent flooding caused New Orleans to sink two days later, rupturing the pipes and sending cajun hot-sauce spilling everywhere.

Winfrey said she has been saddened by television reports of those affected by the weather disaster.

"What is happening not only to the people but to the animals is what breaks my heart," Winfrey said.

Worth noting.

L

Libertarian

I am so sick of Oprah Winfrey, and I think many others are too.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Great idea. Wish I'd thought of it. :yay:

:rolleyes:

This morning they were picking at one of the BP guys because he's Swedish and inadvertently said the company was concerned about "the small people", meaning area residents. I'm getting pretty sick of all the idiots who are raving about BP like they did this on purpose and are sitting there laughing while millions of $$ worth of oil squirts into the Gulf.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...idiots who are raving about BP like they did this on purpose and are sitting there laughing while millions of $$ worth of oil squirts into the Gulf.

You just don't understand; BP is nothing but, a compassion-less, relentless, unfeeling leviathan that only cares about profits. They will not let anything or anyone get in the way of the all mighty dollar. Thus, a blown up rig, dead employees, a terrible leak, untold barrels of product they can not sell, total stop of production for other scheduled drilling, see, they, uh, they are making all sorts of...err... well, you see, all they care about is money and, all this loss is, uh, good, bottom line, profits, earnings, shutdown...uh, not making money and losing money is MAKING money and...uh...err...well they like this, damn it, and that's all there is to it.

See?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Great idea. Wish I'd thought of it. :yay:

:rolleyes:

This morning they were picking at one of the BP guys because he's Swedish and inadvertently said the company was concerned about "the small people", meaning area residents. I'm getting pretty sick of all the idiots who are raving about BP like they did this on purpose and are sitting there laughing while millions of $$ worth of oil squirts into the Gulf.

I have thus far reserved comment on this topic..but I am getting facebook emails to boycott BP every day..and I cannot understand why. yes it seems as if they may have taken risk..but its a risky business..no? it defies logic to think that BP intended it to happen. Even accidently intended (as the theory goes:bigwhoop:). They are losing money, their shares are going down, and they are on the hook for billions in payments. I refuse to believe they did it on purpose, and even find it hard to believe they did it by cutting too many corners. You would think that they would protect their "liquid gold" as best they could. SOmetimes stuff happens..and instead of whining about kicking ass..we should be utilizing the help offered to us..and instead of #####ing and boycotting go fill up at BP to donate cash to the cleanup:coffee: