UAW battle plan......

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Idiots, the UAW destroyed the US auto industry with high fees and outrageous demands!!! I'd love to make $85 per hour running an impact wrench on an assembly line turning the same bolts on every car that rolls by!!!

Sparx

"Bob, should we get lean and mean, and compete head on with those foreign makers?"

"Fred, hell no. We wont make our workers competetive, we'll just get those foreign makers workers to unionize, and we will slow them down to our pace".

"Ah, I get it now"

UAW's King: Organizing more workers key to reversing givebacks | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Is that really how you interpet that article? Did you know that Japan's unionization rate is higher than here in the US?

glhs837

Power with Control
Which is why Japanese makers have set up so many factories in different countries, the cost of unionized labor is prohibititve for a competetive product.

In case you are not aware, a large portion of the products japanese makers sell here are made here, in factories that are most emphatically not unionized. One reason you find them in IN, and SC, and other states besides Michigan.

How do you interpret that article?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Is that really how you interpet that article? Did you know that Japan's unionization rate is higher than here in the US?

No.
I understand the statement;

The new president of the United Auto Workers took a shot at Toyota Motor Corp. while arguing that the only way to win back concessions made by unionized auto workers is to organize nonunion auto workers at foreign automakers' U.S. plants
to mean that the UAW knows that the ONLY way to keep a pyramid scheme running is to keep growing the base. There are a lot of people that think the unions help them but unless you're a union official or one of the politicians that they buy with you dues, you don't get squat.

The unions have almost destroyed all manufacturing in this country. How is that a good thing?

FromTexas

This Space for Rent

In Japan, they have a vested interest in a long career with the same company. The person views his life through the company lens. The company's health is tantamount to their own health. Therefore, the union wants not only the employee, but the company to prosper. Their unions aren't as reckless.

In the United States, the big unions seem to work against the company as long as their folks get a bigger payout. Americans are more self-interested and want immediate gratification. It drives a different culture in the union.

Sparx

Which is why Japanese makers have set up so many factories in different countries, the cost of unionized labor is prohibititve for a competetive product.

In case you are not aware, a large portion of the products japanese makers sell here are made here, in factories that are most emphatically not unionized. One reason you find them in IN, and SC, and other states besides Michigan.

How do you interpret that article?

The Jananese strategy for building here was so Americans would buy more of their cars, they recieve huge tax breaks for building in underdeveloped areas and they avoid tarrifs on imported goods.
China, Taiwan, Korea, etc are all more unionized than the US as well.
The foreign auto plants pay just below but very near the domestic plants to keep their employees from organizing. Actually, they probably pay more in some places since the UAW contracts have been stripped over the past few years. New workers in the UAW do not get the same pay and benefits as the older, existing employees once enjoyed.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
China, are all more unionized than the US as well.

:killingme
China IS a union.
The government sets the wages, and decides where and how long you'll work. They even decide how many kids you can have.

Let's unionize the U.S.A. today. I don't like having to decide how I want to live.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Looks like Sparx' Union Fax machine is working again. Churning out more meaningless union pablum for the sheeple.

C

czygvtwkr

China, Taiwan, Korea, etc are all more unionized than the US as well.

Being unionized does not mean that you are treated better or make more money. I would wager non-union workers for Toyota in the US are treated much more fairly than union workers in China.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, Sparx, how do you interpret that article? I'll make my interpretation crystal clear.

The UAW intends to unionize every automobile manufacturing plant in the US, which will give them leverage to demand the old style, bankrupting, benefits package, for every employee, new and old.

Now, in about as many words, please tell me two things. One, how you interpret it, and two, how you think I am misunderstanding this. No going off into another topic, no diatribes about anything, just basic explanation. Stick to the article.